Best method of withdrawing cash? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hello all and a very Merry Christmas to all....

Planning for our forthcoming extended touring of Europe (incidentally brought forward to November 2013), i would be grateful for tips on the cheapest/most cost effective method of withdrawing cash.
We have the usual debit cards etc with which we can make our higher amount purchases etc but will obviously have a need for cash. We arereluctant to hold large amounts of cash so we would be looking at withdrawing small amounts at a time which may be expensive if done through our debit cards..
I assume that there must be handlimg charges when using holes-in-the wall and perhaps you could recommend the cheapest option for us?

Many thanks.
Best regards
Eric & Annie.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hello all and a very Merry Christmas to all....

Planning for our forthcoming extended touring of Europe (incidentally brought forward to November 2013), i would be grateful for tips on the cheapest/most cost effective method of withdrawing cash.
We have the usual debit cards etc with which we can make our higher amount purchases etc but will obviously have a need for cash. We arereluctant to hold large amounts of cash so we would be looking at withdrawing small amounts at a time which may be expensive if done through our debit cards..
I assume that there must be handlimg charges when using holes-in-the wall and perhaps you could recommend the cheapest option for us?

Many thanks.
Best regards
Eric & Annie.

Nationwide Credit card has currently no charges
But not their debit card.

Alternately Amazon supply Guns
( if you wish to take the Eastern European Approach):ROFLMAO:

Teddybard
Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I use a pre-loaded card FairFX.
They give a good rate of exchange and you can top up by phone call or SMS.
Most continental retailers accept and may be either chip and pin or signature.

Very easy to use.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I used a Thomas Cook's pre-loaded card. They gave a good rate of exchange on the day that I loaded it so I knew what the cost was going to be.

You can top up while you are away so only need to have small amount on the card at any one time in case it is lost or stolen.

I found most retailers accepted it and it is not subject to exchange rate changes or the 'vagaries' of credit card rates that seem to cause a surprise when you get the bill at the end of the month.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We've been thinking about a prepaid card-at moment caxton are giving €1.1950 and ICE are giving €1.1952.
We currently get our Euros from ICE-does anyone have any experience of their card compared with caxton ?
ICE are currently giving €1.1992 for home delivery. So,best rate seems to be for cash.

Mike

Last edited:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Caxton seem to be a good answer........we used ours in Spain recently
and both cards ......my wifes and mine worked well.

A good exchange rate.........solid security....accepted in most places...and top it up by phone

barry

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We use our Norwich & Peterborough Gold Account Debit Cards for cash withdrawals, (no charges world wide), and our Nationwide Select Credit Card for fuel (and tolls, if accessed at all). Again, no charges, except for cash withdrawals.

Regards,

Jock & Rita.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
JonandShell beat me to recommending the money saving web site, especially useful in what NOT to use.
For Europe we use a Caxton card and a Saga credit card as backup, if you're the right age. It has been said that you lose interest by pre-lading the caxton card but rates are so low it makes little difference.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been thinking about a prepaid card-at moment caxton are giving €1.1950 and ICE are giving €1.1952.
We currently get our Euros from ICE-does anyone have any experience of their card compared with caxton ?
ICE are currently giving €1.1992 for home delivery. So,best rate seems to be for cash.

Mike

I've just been reading about the ICE pre-payment card. It seems to have no drawbacks that I can see, and a much lower minimum loading rate than the Caxton Card, plus you get a second card for free (you have to pay for it with Caxton), and the euro rate is slightly better than Caxton too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Going back to my earlier post, the ONLY downside about the ICE card I can see is that to load it when abroad you have to ring and do it, whereas with the Caxton card you can just text.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
withdrawing cash abroad

Carton card looks good. You can check out the rate online on your phone or pc before you purchase your euros. The first load must be online, but after that you can text if you want to, really easy.
Also, they debit your bank account in sterling so no bank charges when you purchase, and no charges when you withdraw funds, but you may have to use banks ffor this.
I did try to pay for fuel in France yesterday with caxton as no tellers about, but didn't work, so
Had to use credit card :Sad:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Going back to my earlier post, the ONLY downside about the ICE card I can see is that to load it when abroad you have to ring and do it, whereas with the Caxton card you can just text.

I read it that phone is another option to topping up online,and that with Caxton txt is another option in the same way.
You can always find internet if you really need it and surely you would really only need to top up maybe once on a 3mth trip,and that only if you got it wrong when you loaded it before leaving home.

I'm still undecided as I've had no problems using cash so far. I watch the rates whilst we are at home and order a substantial amount at a good rate.
We're quite happy carrying cash with us,and I've become very adept at peeling a low denomination note off my roll whilst it's in my pocket ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
One problem with preloading large amounts on these cards is that they are not protected by the FSA compensation scheme (as far as I know). The card company goes bust - so does your cash. I prefer to limit the amount to £500.00. Then top up as required.

lavalamp

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Central London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
I used Travelex pre paid € card whilst skiing in early 2012. I was able to log into my account whilst on the road and top up (unfortunately) and used it in the ski resort without any problems.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Halifax Clarity credit card for me. No commission and you get the 'going rate' at the time of purchase/withdrawal. No charge for cash withdrawals - interest is charged from date of withdrawal but it's easy to reansfer money over t'internet and reduce it to pence. Our three week stay in France saw all transactions at around 1.23/25 to the £ and the total amount of interest/charges we paid on some £2000 was less than £1. Seems easier than preloading a card at a lower exchange rate, but chacun a son gout as we say in Leicester.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Halifax Clarity credit card for me. No commission and you get the 'going rate' at the time of purchase/withdrawal. No charge for cash withdrawals - interest is charged from date of withdrawal but it's easy to reansfer money over t'internet and reduce it to pence. Our three week stay in France saw all transactions at around 1.23/25 to the £ and the total amount of interest/charges we paid on some £2000 was less than £1. Seems easier than preloading a card at a lower exchange rate, but [HI]chacun a son gout [/HI]as we say in Leicester.

Bloody 'ell, I thought Welsh was hard to understand:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back