Blown a fuse!! (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Taunton, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking for A class
Exp
Evening all. This is my first post having wandered on the periphery of the site for a few weeks now....please bear with my ignorance. I've bought a 2005 Bessacarr e745 last week and I'm getting the hang of it.....well thought I was.

All was going relatively well until this afternoon when I bought a Dyson fan thinking that it would be very useful (and cool!) in saving my gas while on hookup here in Ireland. Bad idea. I plugged it in to the socket in the overhead locker for the tv, it started, went for about 5 seconds and then stopped. Now I have no 240v. None of the trip switches in the Electronic Control System (Sargent PSU 2007) were tripped but now neither the Charger or Heater Lights are on.

I've checked the fuses in the leisure batteries and they're all fine. I've also checked the power from the house and that is fine too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi and welcome to the Fun
It sounds like the ELH has tripped out at the site outlet ..... try plugging into another hook-up point

If this is the problem then you may be able to reset it yourself or you may have to get site staff to sort it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
just a wild guess, is there a fuse in the hook up cable,
good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WildeCamping
Oct 5, 2012
Taunton, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking for A class
Exp
Wow!.....that was fast! Many thanks for that. However, I'm plugged in on hookup at home and the socket inside that I am using hasn't tripped and can charge other things (i.e. my phone charger). The problem seems to be within the 'van....

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Wow!.....that was fast! Many thanks for that. However, I'm plugged in on hookup at home and the socket inside that I am using hasn't tripped and can charge other things (i.e. my phone charger). The problem seems to be within the 'van....

If you have a normal 3pin plug on your hook-up cable the fuse may have blown, particularly if you were running any other electric items when you put the fan heater on.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Might sound obvious but have you pushed the hook up plug right into the socket on the van? try unplugging and plug it back in ............

:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WildeCamping
Oct 5, 2012
Taunton, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking for A class
Exp
Panic averted!

Ahhh......it was the fuse in the plug. Have changed it and now working fine again.....no more bling bling for me in the 'van I guess. Will stick to woolie jumpers etc. to save the gas!!

Many thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Ultan:thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Ahhh......it was the fuse in the plug. Have changed it and now working fine again.....no more bling bling for me in the 'van I guess. Will stick to woolie jumpers etc. to save the gas!!

Many thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Ultan:thumb:

Many motorhomes have the sockets fused internally at 10 amps with the lights etc at 5 amps.

This means that the sockets are limited to about 2.3 kW bearing in mind that you may well have the fridge and battery charger running off the same circuit you may have around 2 kW for everything else. This will be true even if you have a site supply of 16 amps.

Why not get motorhome friendly electric kettles, heaters etc that run at 1 or 2 kW?

Check the fuse rating of your mains distribution unit and always check what else is running before adding further units to the mains supply.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have a bessecar E630, and ran a dyson fan all last summer in France with no problem. Obviously we didn't put the electric hob or the microwave on at the same time, but had no problem with the van electric on hook up.
It may be that the three pin plug from your house just wasn't strong enough?
Try it on a site before you give up because those fans are brilliant - we can have it on the floor for our old dog, and he can't hurt himself because there are no blades.:Smile::Smile::Smile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WildeCamping
Oct 5, 2012
Taunton, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking for A class
Exp
::bigsmile: You're right re: Dyson. Once I realised that it was the fuse in the plug rather than the heater I went back to the shop and bought (back) the fan!. Now it's running in the background as I write this with my two dogs sleeping on the seat next to same (-1 deg here tonight!). :thumb:

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Many people use retractbale extension cables which are often inadequate for loads of more than 10 amps.

Rule of thumb - if the appliance is used for heating ensure any plug top fuses are 13 amp. Ensure any extension cable size is rated for the load of the appliance, is fully pulled out and not left part coiled on reels or cable tidys. :thumb:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I know it's not directly related but thought I'd mention that I've replaced all the fuses in the 'moho' with LED fuses. If the fuse blows it lights up an inbuilt LED so no more checking fuse after fuse. :thumb:
Wyn

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Evening all. This is my first post having wandered on the periphery of the site for a few weeks now....please bear with my ignorance. I've bought a 2005 Bessacarr e745 last week and I'm getting the hang of it.....well thought I was.

All was going relatively well until this afternoon when I bought a Dyson fan thinking that it would be very useful (and cool!) in saving my gas while on hookup here in Ireland. Bad idea. I plugged it in to the socket in the overhead locker for the tv, it started, went for about 5 seconds and then stopped. Now I have no 240v. None of the trip switches in the Electronic Control System (Sargent PSU 2007) were tripped but now neither the Charger or Heater Lights are on.

I've checked the fuses in the leisure batteries and they're all fine. I've also checked the power from the house and that is fine too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody seems to know where all the fuses are placed in any given motorhome and that includes the manufactuers.

Toilets etc often have fuses placed locally, tucked away out of site in some inaccessible place.

Often you have to rely on other owners fuinduing them for you.

My Devon monaco had a distribution unit containing a fuse marked frisge. Did this control the fridge- no! The frisge fuse was located close to the leisure battery, along with several others.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
HI,
I have a 2000 e 745.
Is the offending circuit mains 240v, or did you plug into a 12v tv socket?
If it's 12v, there is a spade fuse for the overhead lights etc. tucked away.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back