Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
To allow you to make an informed choice. Both of the utlets near me, that i used to frequent, both display the notice frm the Muslim Council of great Britain stating that all meat sold there is Halal.

http://www.subway.co.uk/menu/halal.aspx

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I worked in the Middle East 30 odd years ago, 6 weeks away 3 weeks home, the first thing I did each time I came home was make a big thick bacon butty, we used to get those Turkey rasher things out there but honestly, there is no substitute for the real thing:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Personally I believe the practice of halal or kosher slaughter should be banned in what is supposed to be a civilised country however thats another story. As our goverment see fit to allow the production and sale of this stuff I think ALL places selling it in any form should be forced to mark it as such, as it is there is so much of it out there that we don't know about, apparently a lot of supermarkets have been using it for ages and only their top of the range specials are non halal. The MP's soon kicked up a fuss when they found that they had unknowingly been eating it in the house of commons eateries etc. I wouldn't eat it by choice so don't expect to be kept in the dark about whether its halal,kosher or otherwise.
By the way did you know it is actually illegal to advertise or promote meat or meat products as Non halal, mustn't offend those mossies now must we

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If it was only Subway, I would boycott them. Unfortunately most places sell/serve it these days. Perhaps best to be vegetarian:Sad:

From Wikipaedia;

Ḏabīḥah (ذَبِيْحَة) is the prescribed method of slaughtering all meat sources excluding fish and most sea-life per Islamic law. This method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, wind pipe and jugular veins. The head of an animal that is slaughtered using halal methods is aligned with the Qiblah. In addition to the direction, permitted animals should be slaughtered upon utterance of the Islamic prayer "in the name of God". Muslims are taught through the Qur'an that all animals should be treated with respect and well cared for.
Animal welfare concerns

Animal right's groups have objected to Halal, saying that it is a form of animal torture.[22] The animal is positioned in order to have its blood completely drained (if size permits) and left to exsanguinate.

The ritual method of slaughter as practiced in Islam and Judaism has been described as inhumane by some animal welfare organizations in the U.K. and the U.S. who have stated that it "causes severe suffering to animals.".[23][24]

In 1978, a study incorporating EEG (electroencephalograph) with electrodes surgically implanted on the skull of 17 sheep and 15 calves, and conducted by Wilhelm Schulze et al. at the University of Veterinary Medicine in Germany concluded that "the slaughter in the form of a ritual cut is, if carried out properly, painless in sheep and calves according to EEG recordings and the missing defensive actions" (of the animals) and that "For sheep, there were in part severe reactions both in bloodletting cut and the pain stimuli" when captive bolt stunning (CBS) was used.[25][26] This study is cited by the German Constitutional Court in its permitting of dhabiha slaughtering.[27] However, recent studies have countered the Schulze study which is dated and relied on older EEG measurement techniques. Dr. Schulze himself also warned in his report that the stunning technique may not have functioned properly.[28]

In 2003, the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC), an independent advisory group, concluded that the way halal and kosher meat is produced causes severe suffering to animals. FAWC argued that cattle required up to two minutes to bleed to death when such means are employed. The Chairperson of FAWC at the time, Judy MacArthur Clark, added, "this is a major incision into the animal and to say that it doesn't suffer is quite ridiculous."

Halal and kosher butchers deny that their method of killing animals is cruel and expressed anger over the FAWC recommendation.[24] Majid Katme of the Muslim Council of Britain also disagreed, stating that "it's a sudden and quick haemorrhage. A quick loss of blood pressure and the brain is instantaneously starved of blood and there is no time to start feeling any pain."[24] The Ph.D work of Dr. Pouillaude concluded: "religious slaughter would thus be a less stressing mode of slaughter. Conclusions of all the scientific experiments converge towards a firmly supported certainty: properly carried out, religious slaughter is the most humane way because it leads to less trauma to animals to be killed to be consumed for its meat".[29]

In April 2008, the Food and Farming minister in the UK, Lord Rooker, stated that halal and kosher meat should be labeled when it is put on sale, so that members of the public can decide whether or not they want to buy food from animals that have been bled to death. He was quoted as saying, "I object to the method of slaughter ... my choice as a customer is that I would want to buy meat that has been looked after, and slaughtered in the most humane way possible." The RSPCA supported Lord Rooker's views."[30]

For the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Humane Society International, "the animals that are slaughtered according to kosher and halal should be securely restrained, particularly the head and neck, before cutting the throat" as "movements (during slaughter) results in a poor cut, bad bleeding, slow loss of consciousness, if at all, and pain."[31]

In Europe, the DIALREL project addressed religious slaughter issues by gathering and disseminating information and by encouraging dialogue between the spiritual and scientific communities.[32] Funding for DIALREL was provided by The European Commission, and it began functioning in November 2006. DIALREL produced many fact sheets and ultimately published a final report in 2010, "Report on good and adverse practices - Animal welfare concerns in relation to slaughter practices from the viewpoint of veterinary sciences."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Looks like its Republic of Eire only, do a search for any in UK like Bradford, its nil

================================

Who certifies the Halal meat?
The Islamic Foundation of Ireland certifies all meats in the Halal stores with the exception of the Chicken Temptation which is certified by the Islamic Committee of Thailand. For further information on the certification of these meats please find the contact details below. For more information about the I.F.I. please visit their website: www.islaminireland.com
For more information about the Islamic Committee of Thailand please contact them via telephone 0-2949-4114 or via their website www.cpfworldwide.com email; consumercenter@cpf.co.th

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
be interestinf to see how they make turkey look, taste and have the texture of bacon.

Ham and Bacon products have been substituted by "Turkey Ham" and "Turkey Rashers

The meats served at Halal SUBWAY® stores have been produced to meet SUBWAY® stores high standards in taste, look and quality.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back