2012 - The Year Of Rain (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
No doubt many of you will have had the year from hell touring the UK. Rain, flooding, roads awash etc, all make for a very frustrating time trying to holiday.
We decided to have a break from looking after family and booked at Bury and Hereford
for two weeks over Christmas .
Arrived at Bury to heavy rain so decided to just get on with it and enjoy. Two lots of clothing and two days later we had a phone call from our Hereford site to advise it was closing due to flooding. No problem we thought and decided to head back North and booked into Rowntree Park at York. Another wet day in Manchester and a phone call from York, sorry we are closing and flooded, great. The wardens here at Bury allowed an extension for a few days. To be honest it is a waste of time and insane. We are paying over £20 to sit in our van and watch the rain bouncing down.
It's not very often we wish we were home but this is one of them. We hope all you funsters are coping with our s... weather no matter where you are in our glorious UK.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Its not only the UK.
It does not stop raining here.
We are booked to come to the UK 27/12/12 hope it gets beter.
But whatever the weather i whould rather be in my MH than home..
But i can see rain and Bury cant be nice:RollEyes:

Mel

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just 6 months ago we had a hosepipe ban in much of the UK :Doh:

I wonder if our highly paid water executives have figured a way to save more water while we have it :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
No doubt many of you will have had the year from hell touring the UK. Rain, flooding, roads awash etc, all make for a very frustrating time trying to holiday.
We decided to have a break from looking after family and booked at Bury and Hereford
for two weeks over Christmas .
Arrived at Bury to heavy rain so decided to just get on with it and enjoy. Two lots of clothing and two days later we had a phone call from our Hereford site to advise it was closing due to flooding. No problem we thought and decided to head back North and booked into Rowntree Park at York. Another wet day in Manchester and a phone call from York, sorry we are closing and flooded, great. The wardens here at Bury allowed an extension for a few days. To be honest it is a waste of time and insane. We are paying over £20 to sit in our van and watch the rain bouncing down.
It's not very often we wish we were home but this is one of them. We hope all you funsters are coping with our s... weather no matter where you are in our glorious UK.

Oh Joy Burrs Park in the Rain
Still The Pubs OK.:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I take the weather as it comes. It is about the only downside I can think of when fulltiming. Being forced to empty the crapper in bad weather cannot be avoided:Doh:

It was windy on Wednesday so I thought I would leave it till thursday and go to the pub instead. On Thursday I end up soaking wet, covered in mud and freezing cold.:Angry:

10 minutes later back in van nice and warm knowing that I have a week before i have to do it all again::bigsmile:

The weather doesn't really bother me. This time of year I tend to find a pitch and stay there only moving after my 28 days is up.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!

I wonder if our highly paid water executives have figured a way to save more water while we have it :RollEyes:

Don't be daft, the greedy b@st@rds are working out how to do less, charge us more, pay no tax and cream off the vast profits.

The Government (spit) are planning a tax on fresh air too!

Last edited:

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
We are on a CC site at Dulverton in Devon. The Exe burst hours ago and there is extensive flooding. Planning to stay until Christmas morning but concerned that we might not a) last that long as the site is between two rivers b) be able to leave if we choose as many of the roads are now flooded. We've never seen flooding this bad first hand.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I knew there was a reason I chose Portugal...

As a van dweller weather is important but then, as a van dweller you can move.

After the afternoon show in Estoril we pack the truck and then I am off for a few weeks/months...

Life on the road... Glorious, exciting, interesting.

Motorhomes are for motorhoming...

JJ

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
I knew there was a reason I chose Portugal...

As a van dweller weather is important .............

JJ

"Weather... Weather... Weather... Weather...

Definitely a UK based Forum.... Lol lol lol

JJ"
:RollEyes:
???????

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We decided to have a break from looking after family and booked at Bury

I've lived within an hour of Bury for nearly 70 years. I can only recall one visit a year or so ago looking for a bike shop.

Is there something there I've missed ?

But at least you have the sense to know when you're beaten and knock it on the head. There's not a whole lot of pleasure in a tin box when it sounds like someone is tipping ball bearings on the roof.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
JJ - is that your jet ski in the avatar?

Only recently worked out what it was.

I used to have one a bit like that .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ - is that your jet ski in the avatar?

Only recently worked out what it was.

I used to have one a bit like that .

It is indeed one of those loathsome machines Treacle...

(Loathsome only when "ridden" where lots of peace and quiet sun worshippers are disturbed by one or two "look at me" blokes (probably with small willys and no conversational skills.) :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It is indeed one of those loathsome machines Treacle...

(Loathsome only when "ridden" where lots of peace and quiet sun worshippers are disturbed by one or two "look at me" blokes (probably with small willys and no conversational skills.) :winky:

JJ :Cool:

I didn't think we'd met JJ::bigsmile:

Agree with you completely though. I mainly used mine offshore in Wales or if not off the coast of Norfolk.

I never looked that hot in my shortie wetsuit either::bigsmile:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Braunton in North Devon was flooded yesterday big time, worst since 1962. No way in from either direction. They only completed a new flood defence system in June, hope they still got the receipt, because it ain't working.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've lived within an hour of Bury for nearly 70 years. I can only recall one visit a year or so ago looking for a bike shop.

Is there something there I've missed ?

But at least you have the sense to know when you're beaten and knock it on the head. There's not a whole lot of pleasure in a tin box when it sounds like someone is tipping ball bearings on the roof.

Hi Hilldweller, Nice to hear from you again.
We just like this area and are reasonably handy for Manchester and even Liverpool. The campsite at Burrs Park is great with a reasonable bus service into town. I suppose anyone visiting my area would be a surprise to me as well. I find Bury Market fascinating and I like people watching.
Have a good Christmas and I look forward to chatting in the new year.
Wilf

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi Hilldweller, Nice to hear from you again.
We just like this area and are reasonably handy for Manchester and even Liverpool. The campsite at Burrs Park is great with a reasonable bus service into town. I suppose anyone visiting my area would be a surprise to me as well. I find Bury Market fascinating and I like people watching.
Have a good Christmas and I look forward to chatting in the new year.
Wilf

Nice Place burrs Park (Not so sure about in the rain:Eeek::Eeek:)
brother in law lives in Bury.

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back