rp272

Free Member
Dec 18, 2012
Poole
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are new to motorhoming having just taken delivery of an Auto Trail Delaware after 4 years and more than 20,000 miles of towing a caravan.

We have owned many different awnings from small to large and understand how these fit to a caravan. Obviously a motorhome awning needs to stand on its own four feet so to speak.

Many of the ones on offer seem 'lightweight' and made of nylon which I know to my cost rot with more than a modicum of UV. I think in these enlightened time they might be called 'biodegradable' but this is not a desirable trait in awnings.

I am looking for something a bit more substantial and have seen adverts for Ventura (Isabella) Freestander and Outdoor Revolution Valley Lodge both of which appear to be sufficiently strong and well made.

I have yet to see either model actually attached to a motorhome and been able to talk to the owners who should be able to give the best advice. How easy is it to reconnect the awning after a day out and how good a seal can be achieved around the van. I have looked at instructions from Ventura but the pictures look as though the 'back' cannot be made secure when away for the day! I certainly don't want any stray dogs sheltering inside.

We had planned to visit the Shepton Mallet show in January but this has now been cancelled and NEC is a bit far for other than the big October exhibition.

Another thing are thermal windscreen blinds. External blinds seem to be the answer from what I have read both 'Silver Screen' and 'TailorMade' were both mentioned favourably. Are these suitable to leave on overwinter? I'm not sure how waterproof they are.

I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's a strange post, never seen anyone manage that before.

But on the awning front, they can be attached or drive away.

The biggest problem is weight. Buy a heavy duty one and you are eating into your luggage capacity.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you are new to motorhoming I would recommend trying to do without an awning to start with. the reason most motorhomers don't use an awning (apart from a wind out one to give some shade) is because setting up an awning largely negates the benefits of motorhoming.

Where motorhoming differs from trailer caravanning is that you are not setting up a base camp, a motorhome is a vehicle and should be able to move from place to place with the minimum of setting up. We can set up, and 'break camp' in a couple of minutes ready to move on to the next place. If you have to set up and take down an awning it would take much longer, even without the size and weight of an awning which you have to carry somewhere in the vehicle.

Motorhomers sometimes use awnings if they are stopping for a long time in one place, such as for a couple of months in the sun in the winter, however this would be better done in a trailer caravan if you have one rather than a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I must say it is correct you dont use it, only if you stop for a few weeks.

I bought a Camp room with my last MH never used it in two years.

I have a vally lodge for 3 weeks on a camping in Spain,

MH does not move and i have use of a car.

the rest of the time it stays at home its 27 kg just dont need it.

Mel

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Motorhome awning et al

Hi there,

Before we bought our first motorhome we'd had folding campers for many years and so were used to (and valued) the extra space and comfort provided by awning extensions. So we bought a brand new, stand-alone, 3x3 m Ventura. £500. And used it twice over 6 years in two separate vans. It weighed a lot, was quite bulky, and in addition, one of the advantages of motor homing is that you never need to worry about breaking camp in wet weather..........unless you have to fold and pack an awning of course.

When we bought our third and current van, it had a 4.5m Omnistor awning fitted and it has been perfect, especially (but not solely) in hotter European climes. Looking back, I wish we had gone for a fitted wind-out from the start.

Turning to screens, we have had internal and external ones, and amongst the latter, both Silver Screen and Tailor Made. Quality of these two is excellent. We only ever use them whilst touring in the van, either to keep in the warmth or keep out the heat, so can't unfortunately comment on suitability for over winter layup use. But all our vans have been stored outdoors, so maybe you don't actually need to do that.

Happy touring and enjoy this wonderful way of life,

Gary ::bigsmile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We have a 5.5 metre safari room that attaches to our canopy. Any stay more than 2 nights I would put it up, especially in the UK because of the weather. Takes about 30-45 mins to erect and less to take down and we like the extra space. Often have a largish dog with us too and he sleeps in it.

Quite fancy the new blow-up ones that are due out soon, will probably wait for the price to come down first though.

Steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Quite fancy the new blow-up ones that are due out soon, will probably wait for the price to come down first though.
Steve

We are expecting these to be available 20th March 2013
Vango Airaway Awnings

New for 2013, Vango Airaway Awnings from the popular Vango Airbeam range, available to pre-order now in-store or online for the 2013 summer season. This great new awning range comes in 2 different sizes Sapera and Kela. The Vango Airaway is a drive away awning that use's the Vango Airbeam inflatable tube system, instead of fibreglass or steel poles, making this awning quick and simple to erect. Convenient and easy to pitch Vango gives a pitching time of only 4 minutes for these awnings, Simply peg the awning out, inflate the Airbeams, attach to the vehicle and secure the guylines. It doesn't get any easier or quicker than this. Both products come in standard and tall size making them suitable for either smaller campervans or panel vans and also taller coachbuilt motorhomes, with a choice of vehicle attachments this new range of inflatable drive away awning will fit to 99% of vehicles on the UK market.

====

OP
OP
R

rp272

Free Member
Dec 18, 2012
Poole
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That's a strange post, never seen anyone manage that before.

But on the awning front, they can be attached or drive away.

The biggest problem is weight. Buy a heavy duty one and you are eating into your luggage capacity.

I'm new to this forum and wonder what is 'strange' about my post. Please advise so that I try not to make the same mistake again although it looks perfectly ordinary to me!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hee Hee, strange in that it is a perfectly sensible (normal) post, quite unusual on this site and hilldwellers sense of humour is something you will only aquire after time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Back to the original post I guess you are still thinking in caravanning mode. Motorhoming is different you tend to tour rather than site sit. I have only used my wind out awning half a dozen times in the past six years since having one; and that was always at a rally when staying put for 4 days or so. generally we tend to move on every day.
So try it first rather than spend money and take up valuable payload. As to silverscreens, all external screens are waterproof. Not adviseable to use them if you are wild camping though as a quick getaway in the event of trouble is not easy, not that I have ever had any trouble in umpteen years of motorhoming.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As with most things in life, experience will teach you what you need and what you don't. I would suggest using the van for a few times and see if you really do need an awning. Then if you decide you do, you will also have determined whether you are the drive-away type or the stay-put variety. From there the rest is relatively easy. We have a wind out with a full safari room. It only ever gets put up if we are intending staying three or more nights but when we are in France/Spain we virtually live in it. We are different in many ways from others who use their van wild camping - we never do. In fact the main reason we have a motorhome rather than a caravan is so that we can take one of our motorbikes with us.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Your original post appeared to be repeated 3 times ... maybe that was 'strange' :winky:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Old habits die hard! I'm always amazed how much room caravaners seem to need - a large caravan and an awning twice as large again! And just two people!:RollEyes:
We had a safari room for a while which we used on our extended stays in Spain.
We decided last year that we really didn't need it and opted for a kitchen tent and using our roll-out Fiamma for shade or rain.
We are now 25kg lighter and have loads more storage and can even drive out if we need to:Cool:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Awnings et al

We had a safari room with our last van and a free standing type awning. Took both away at various times and put them up to try them out. After 9 years we sold our van with a brand new awning which we had used once!! The curtains were still in the poly wrapping. IMO a waste of money and heavy!! We use a sun awning attached to the van and that's it, a wind breaker for a bit of privacy sometimes if we are staying on a site for more than a few days!:Smile:
The free standing awning is still in our loft waiting for a sunny day and bigger garden.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi I bought a driveaway awning, used it twice only, motorhoming is different from caravaning, much more get up and go. Dont buy one yet, get used to using small CL sites. Aires and France passion when abroad, dont go paying for sites to set up camp or youve missed the point of motorhomes.
Regards and happy Christmas Phil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm new to this forum and wonder what is 'strange' about my post.!

It's OK now but when first posted it was the same message repeated at least 4 times. First time I've ever seen that happen, so strange indeed.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hee Hee, strange in that it is a perfectly sensible (normal) post, quite unusual on this site and hilldwellers sense of humour is something you will only aquire after time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:..

Not this time, note the edit flag on the original post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back