Spain, how farand when for guaranteed sunshine. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Having had our first year as MH owners pretty much washed out, even 3 weeks in France in July wasn`t great, we are planning a trip to get some sun as soon as possible in the new year.

I know the further South the better but adding in the time available and the fuel costs, just wondering when would be a good time to head to maybe the Costa Brava for `guaranteed` sunshine, I am guessing May, but may be wrong.

Appreciate that there are no guarantees and it might but a freak year like this year but all things being equal, how early in the year would you expect to have very good weather that far north.

Thanks

Steve

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Get packed. !! Follow me down to Morocco. :thumb:
Leaving 9th January with a weekend stop in Benidorm, planning a raid on the Villasol gang to steal their alcohol stocks... Shh dont tell em..

Costa Brava.. To cold and most sites are closed until Easter onwards. You get a little nice winter sun but really you want to be at least by Valencia, thats why the sites down there are open and places like Penniscola, Bennicasim downwards are popular.
Cost Blanca and Benidorm for me. With a single driver and using non toll roads, In winter, I usually do Benidorm in 3 night stops, using aires on the way.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the reply, so what is the earliest you would like to be on the Costa Brava?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for the reply, so what is the earliest you would like to be on the Costa Brava?

Have been many times in February, as we always took Grandkids for the half term break, flew them home from Girona airport and then flew back to carry on going south..
There are days where you can sit in the sun and get a nice few hours in T shirts, soon chills once tea time approaches and in contrast there can be lots of rainy days.. Also many bars and shop are closed, big difference if you want some night life etc compared to Benidorm.

March onwards is better BUT it depends on what your after, lots of people do go and spend winter there on sites that are open. One more day travel and a tank of fuel will be a lot better.

Either way, it's better than here..:thumb:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Get packed. !! Follow me down to Morocco. :thumb:
Leaving 9th January with a weekend stop in Benidorm, planning a raid on the Villasol gang to steal their alcohol stocks... Shh dont tell em..

Costa Brava.. To cold and most sites are closed until Easter onwards. You get a little nice winter sun but really you want to be at least by Valencia, thats why the sites down there are open and places like Penniscola, Bennicasim downwards are popular.
Cost Blanca and Benidorm for me. With a single driver and using non toll roads, In winter,[HI] I usually do Benidorm in 3 night stops,[/HI] using aires on the way.

Hi steve

We always use sites but have agreed that we must try aires.

Which aires do you use to benidorm as we often go there.

Nice to use recommended aires::bigsmile:

Lesley

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We go to La Manga in Jan on the C & CC Rally, not the best site in Spain but ok, the weather is usualy ok but goes chilly at night. Pete :roflmto:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed at Villanova Park near Barcelona for a couple of weeks (Nice but everywhere is uphill) and Camping El Eden in Peniscola a couple of years ago..we did the majority in Peniscola..nice spot good facilities..lots of Brits/Scandanavians/Dutch and Germans staying there too...and we got some good discounts for our fairly long stay of around 56 days..Decent T/Shirt and shorts weather during the day but it did get chilly at night time..

The Aires we used on the way down were..Buchy..next to the school...Mery sur Cher..and Allessac..Buchy cost 6 euros..Mery sur Cher was 5.30..Allesac was free...

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Hi steve

We always use sites but have agreed that we must try aires.

Which aires do you use to benidorm as we often go there.

Nice to use recommended aires::bigsmile:

Lesley

There are so many and it really depends on what time you arrive in France, which port and how long you want to drive in a day... I'm off out xmas shopping and then to the pub :thumb: But will do a list of my favourite ones and post it later..... :thumb:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Costa Brava

For us the Costa Brava is fine even over winter . If lucky you can get 18-20 degs by day but can drop to 3-5 at night , it all depends on the sun . The only other concern is the Tramontana which usually blows after poor weather , this is a fairly violent 40-50 mph. wind that can last 2-3 days . I have painted a true picture , remember you have the dramatic largely unspoiled coastline and the proximity of the Pyrenees we love it so much we decided to buy a property in the area.

Campsites I could personally recommend

Camping Salata in Roses

Camping Les Medes in L'Estartit our personal favourite which offers monthly

deals at or about 330 euro

Alan

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'd agree that it's possible to get pleasant weather fairly early in the year on the Costa Brava, but you'd improve your chances significantly if you could hang on until May. :thumb:

Having said that, years ago we had a wet week under canvas in mid-May on the southern Costa Brava. :Sad:

Just thinking on - provided you've checked in advance a few campsites are going to be open, why not suck it and see. Don't think you'll have any difficulty just turning up on the C. Brava, at least until early June. And if the weather is against you - as others have said - just head another day's drive south.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Suck it and see we may well do, but need to leave it late enough (but not too late), to give ourselves a reasonable chance of some decent weather.

The plan will be to spend a 4/5 days getting there and a week to 10 days on site before another few days to get back.

Or for the same sort of money might decide to `guarantee` some sunshine and head to Perth WA.

Decisions decisions...... ::bigsmile:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
I'd agree that it's possible to get pleasant weather fairly early in the year on the Costa Brava, but you'd improve your chances significantly if you could hang on until May. :thumb:

Having said that, years ago we had a wet week under canvas in mid-May on the southern Costa Brava. :Sad:

Just thinking on - provided you've checked in advance a few campsites are going to be open, why not suck it and see. Don't think you'll have any difficulty just turning up on the C. Brava, at least until early June. And if the weather is against you - as others have said - just head another day's drive south.
No guarantee of weather anywhere but honestly with living in the area you do not need to wait until May ... the classic Med. weather of damp wet winters and hot dry summers does seem to have largely gone . i can think of one November not too long ago where every day was 20+ agreed a little cold at night BUT dry and sunny for the whole month.

Alan

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks for the replies.

Suck it and see we may well do, but need to leave it late enough (but not too late), to give ourselves a reasonable chance of some decent weather.

The plan will be to spend a 4/5 days getting there and a week to 10 days on site before another few days to get back.

Or for the same sort of money might decide to `guarantee` some sunshine and head to Perth WA.

Decisions decisions...... ::bigsmile:

I think if you went to the Costa Brava in late May you would be fine.

We used to always go first two weeks in June and it was great and not too busy. No guarantees and you might get the odd dodgy day but that's the same everywhere.

I don't personally like Roses or L'Estartit and we prefer the area around L'Escala.

Good luck:thumb:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Marbella Weather

Having had our first year as MH owners pretty much washed out, even 3 weeks in France in July wasn`t great, we are planning a trip to get some sun as soon as possible in the new year.

I know the further South the better but adding in the time available and the fuel costs, just wondering when would be a good time to head to maybe the Costa Brava for `guaranteed` sunshine, I am guessing May, but may be wrong.

Appreciate that there are no guarantees and it might but a freak year like this year but all things being equal, how early in the year would you expect to have very good weather that far north.

Thanks

Steve

Marbella at Xmas:thumb::thumb::Cool:

Attachments

• CIMG1984.jpg
    CIMG1984.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 24

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.