Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
As a novice tourer I probably need to get as much advice as I can on preparing my MH for a ski trip this winter. I've read many articles on here and amongst other publications and forums and so far I have:

Set of snow tyres fitted
snow chains
Eberspacher heater fitted
generator
extra vehicle insulation
super warm sleep bag
full normal vehicle service
extra gas
225w solar panel installed
plus few things I can't think of at this moment

Considering:

some inside water storage (underslung tank at moment which I presume will freeze early)?
electric fan heater for quick drying/defrosting/emergency?

Anything else I should be thinking about?
I'm not sure which resort would suit so I'll pose that question in a separate thread.....

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I would add-
A ladder to access the roof.
A soft broom to sweep snow off the roof.
A shovel.
A couple of builders buckets to catch grey water.
A small mat and gloves to assist in chain fitting.
Extra screenwash.

As for preparation lube all your locks and apply silicon grease to all your window and door seals.
Also consider taking blankets to suppliment he insulation provided by your silver screens. You can lay these on the dashboard and hang them around the cab area to help keep out the cold.

If you do get frozen pipes and valves despite all this, a blowtorch or inveter-powered hot air gun will be invaluable.

Make sure you take water containers, hat underslung tank will freeze!

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
I would add-
A ladder to access the roof.
A soft broom to sweep snow off the roof.
A shovel.
A couple of builders buckets to catch grey water.
A small mat and gloves to assist in chain fitting.
Extra screenwash.

As for preparation lube all your locks and apply silicon grease to all your window and door seals.
Also consider taking blankets to suppliment he insulation provided by your silver screens. You can lay these on the dashboard and hang them around the cab area to help keep out the cold.

If you do get frozen pipes and valves despite all this, a blowtorch or inveter-powered hot air gun will be invaluable.

Make sure you take water containers, hat underslung tank will freeze!

Good points,
Ladder - yep, put one on a few months back
broom - yep (she won't miss it!)
shovel, mats, buckets, - will add them.

Ah, screenwash! We drove to Zell Am Zee one year and the Halfords screenwash we had froze even though it was 100% fill so we drove along with the Mrs trying to throw a beaker of water out of the window onto the front screen when needed - quite a challenge and there was a real technique to it. Now I check the freeze point on screenwash bottles as need the need the -30' stuff in the Alps.

The other points are exactly the things I was looking for, make perfect sense. Nothing worse than trying to unlock a frozen car door lock and still being cold when you get inside.
Do you think it's worth forgetting the external water tank or check the forecast first?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi

There are some Funsters who go skiing with external tanks. Hopefully one of these will be along to give some advice.
My opinion would be that it would be best to run your van dry in these conditions if you are off EHU. There are tank heaters readily available, but you won't be able to run your gennie 24/7!
But it's not just about your tanks, even pipes inside the van will freeze if touching he outer walls or floor in the absence of warm air circulation around them.

It would be wll worth condering aiflow inside the van. Your diesel blown air heating should have its outlets considerately positioned to prevent cold spots, especially around your water system.

There are some good threads on the subject of MH winterisation already here inMHF, just use the search faciliy at the top of the page to sniff them out!:thumb::thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
You don't need to worry about your external tank or certainly not go in to the hassall of moving it inside.
Put a tank heater in it. CAK tanks sell them, they are about £80 and kick in and out dependent on water tempreture so prevent constant power drain, although they do do one that stays on all the time.

Place it as close to the pick up as possible and as close to the bottom as possible.

If I can fit one, Im sure you can.......

I would add B2B charger :winky: with QUALITY BATTERIES

you need to start the van up anyway, so may as well create some power whilst doing so. You may want to take extra gas, but gas is freely available all over France and Italy in ski resorts. You may be better getting hold of a French bottle and getting an adaptor to fit it, thus allowing you to use French gas.
All of course depends on how long you intend on going for.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
what you need is already covered , but I would add a hand brush of somekind to brush off snow around and under your shoes/ski boots and a tray size big enough for ski boots/shoes to stand on to keep MH floor dry

Forget the extra warm sleeping bag if the van is that cold you will be in trouble. If you are wild camping prepare to move lower for the night and come back up to ski in the morning.

Above all enjoy, it is not an arctic expedition. Have fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Thanks guys for all the useful tips, getting quite a buzz from the preparation, can't wait to get a few extra things sorted and get to the ferry, Oh and Christmas and New year to get through!

Thanks again,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back