Drive away awning recommends please (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Had a mare with the patti-room on my RV during the storm last night, it torn itself partly out of the roller and its now packed away until its mended/summer/for ever?::bigsmile: Anybody got any recommends for European style drive away awning? Don't mind fitting an awning rail or other fixing if needed, but its got to be capable of standing up in a storm, doesn't have to be big, just enough to leave our shoes in before going in the RV.

Ian,

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
get a movilite type that has the straps you can throw over the van if need be but also can be attached via a small awning rail.

I have the 'add a room' type plus the one from riverway leisure and depends on the weather on which i use

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi chatter, doesn't the door hit the top of the tunnel bit as you open it?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Kampa Rally 390 XL

Hi Ian, not a drive away but last year in Spain we had some really strong wind on one site, and everyone on the site took their awnings down, us thinking well we have monsoon poles it should be OK, :Eeek: we did panic a bit and left the doors and rolled the front panels up, and it was fine, we have left it up since and no problem.:thumb:

Some people have had trouble with discolouring and returned them, ours its the centre panel in the roof and both end panels around the doors, but to be honest we are not that bothered as its a great awning, and would buy another if this one dies, apart from rallies and weekend meets it did 3.5 months in Spain last year, and just about to do 5 months and if it survives, :whatthe: it will had more use than your average user.::bigsmile:

But its worth getting the MONSOON poles. :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We never got ours here, and may not be the best price. :Doh: Bob.

This: http://www.campingandleisure.co.uk/acatalog/kampa-motor-rally-390-L-&-XL.html

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here you go Ian ..

our Movelite XL .. winter 08/09 ..

IIRC it cost about £180.. looking on line they are now around £215

I fitted a 3mt length of caravan awning rail above the door.

DSC_5920.jpg

DSC_5967.jpg

BROKEN LINK

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Jim, and thanks I think Bob, ::bigsmile: she likes the Kampa one. :cry: Got to admit it does look nice, and looks as if the roof might clear the door. Decisions decisions.

Ian

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The xl is the one for high motorhomes, our roof is 3.12 m at the highest roof lights ect.

As you can see we stuck a awning rail on the side, had a wind out on the last van that would be wound in at first sign of wind. :winky::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Attachments

• P1010147.jpg
    P1010147.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 65

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, because of the hight of our rail, it takes two of us, I thread it in and Jane pulls it through, once you have the end roof and uprights in and strapped, Jane pegs it down.
:winky:Then I leave her to it, just like the old days with our caravan. :ROFLMAO:

Quickest about 20 minutes, and if she is having a fussy where's my tape measure and straight edge day could take an hour.:Doh: Bob.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, because of the hight of our rail, it takes two of us, I thread it in and Jane pulls it through, once you have the end roof and uprights in and strapped, Jane pegs it down.
:winky:Then I leave her to it, just like the old days with our caravan. :ROFLMAO:

Quickest about 20 minutes, and if she is having a fussy where's my tape measure and straight edge day could take an hour.:Doh: Bob.

tell it how it is Bob.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• P1030810(1).jpg
    P1030810(1).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks ed, but we need a height of over 2800, and a door on the side.

Still waiting for john (johncross) to get back with a price.::bigsmile:

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just back from Norwich. Caravans, bought the Kampa 390XL plus rear poles and monsoon poles, £360 the lot. Just got to buy the rail and fit it. :lol:

They have an enormous range of stuff, more chairs and tables than you can shake a stick at.

Ian

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I fitted it last week and it was immediately obvious that saying its ok for up to 2.9m is in my opinion a bit optimistic, as the sides hardly reach the ground. So today I cut up some awning skirt in to 10" strips and fitted them to the bottom of the sides, allowing about a 2" overlap.

I used double side foam tape and rivets to hold them together, the plan is that in the summer I will machine them together properly, that's assuming they don't fall apart before then. ::bigsmile:

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I fitted it last week and it was immediately obvious that saying its ok for up to 2.9m is in my opinion a bit optimistic, as the sides hardly reach the ground. So today I cut up some awning skirt in to 10" strips and fitted them to the bottom of the sides, allowing about a 2" overlap.

I used double side foam tape and rivets to hold them together, the plan is that in the summer I will machine them together properly, that's assuming they don't fall apart before then. ::bigsmile:

Ian

If you want to borrow a sewing machine Ian, I know a man who will oblige .. :winky:

just let me know :Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim, thanks for the offer. ::bigsmile: But I use mum's, then if I get stuck she sorts it out. ::bigsmile:

Ian

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Well i wondered how it would fair in a storm, and it hasn't taken long to find out. Came home Sunday to find it had collapsed. :cry: the awning has 4 metal upright poles and 4 bendy fiberglass for the roof, the fiberglass ones are normally sprung up, giving the curved roof its shape, under the pressure of the wind they had reversed, so the awning colappsed.

No damage done so put back up and supported the roof at the most exposed end with my extending ladder, its a temporary solution until i get some poles. Went home today after spending the night at are daughters just check on the cats, and now the metal poles have bent:Doh: I guess the pressure of the wind has forced the roof poles flat and extra bending force on the metal poles has bent them.

In its present form this just isnt suitable for the winter, the answer i think is to buy some metal tube, bend them to the right cuvre and replace the fiberglass ones. The metal upright poles will then nolonger have a bending motion applied to them, and i can pin the metal roof poles so they can't turn.

Why do they make things so flimsy?

Ian

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Well i wondered how it would fair in a storm, and it hasn't taken long to find out. Came home Sunday to find it had collapsed. :cry: the awning has 4 metal upright poles and 4 bendy fiberglass for the roof, the fiberglass ones are normally sprung up, giving the curved roof its shape, under the pressure of the wind they had reversed, so the awning colappsed.

No damage done so put back up and supported the roof at the most exposed end with my extending ladder, its a temporary solution until i get some poles. Went home today after spending the night at are daughters just check on the cats, and now the metal poles have bent:Doh: I guess the pressure of the wind has forced the roof poles flat and extra bending force on the metal poles has bent them.

In its present form this just isnt suitable for the winter, the answer i think is to buy some metal tube, bend them to the right cuvre and replace the fiberglass ones. The metal upright poles will then nolonger have a bending motion applied to them, and i can pin the metal roof poles so they can't turn.

[HI]Why do they make things so flimsy?[/HI]

Ian

so they can sell you another one later on :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... meanwhile, our Sunncamp Maestro carries on unscathed ... :Cool:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Probably a better made awning stcyr but at only 2650 high no good for us.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back