Mystery box in engine compartment (1 Viewer)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Under the bonnet of my 1998 Autotrail Cheyenne( Boxer based) there is a mystery box about 31/2 by 21/2 inches and about an inch thick. There are 3 wires which enter it and it seems to be a plastic frame filled in wilth an Aradite sort of hard material. The three wires are red, brown and black with the black connected to earth by the battery.Cannot think what it could be unless it is connected to the alarm system. It is just hanging on the wires on the left hand side of the engineand goes into loom which may be the work of Autotrail. It does not look as if it was fitted when the van was made in the Peugeot factory. Any idea what it may be?

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
Hi,

Sounds like a Battery Master. See Link Removed

If so, it connects the leisure battery to the engine battery in such a way as to provide a small charge (up to just over 1 amp) whenever the leisure battery voltage exceeds that of the engine battery by 0.5V.

Especially useful if you have a solar panel keeping the leisure battery topped up while parked up for extended periods, in which case the engine battery is also kept charged.

The box ensures that the engine battery does not charge the leisure battery as that could lead to starting issues!

Hope that helps.

Steve

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Under the bonnet of my 1998 Autotrail Cheyenne( Boxer based) there is a mystery box about 31/2 by 21/2 inches and about an inch thick. There are 3 wires which enter it and it seems to be a plastic frame filled in wilth an Aradite sort of hard material. The three wires are red, brown and black with the black connected to earth by the battery.Cannot think what it could be unless it is connected to the alarm system. It is just hanging on the wires on the left hand side of the engineand goes into loom which may be the work of Autotrail. It does not look as if it was fitted when the van was made in the Peugeot factory. Any idea what it may be?

one like this Broken Link Removed

used one on my self build
with a switch on the live feed
to the leisure battery

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread