LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi we going to setthorns on the 27 dec in the new forest as we will be on electric hook up want to take small electric heater,as we don't what to trip out on hook up wandered how to work out amps,the heater we might take 2000 watts :whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2000w / 230v = 8.7 amps

a couple of 700watt oil radiators would give a better heat distribution...one at the front and one at the back

if possible stand oil rads on a tin tray in case they start to leak.
not a common occurrence but always possible

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamwitt

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Thanks for info papa John didn't think that would be so many amps :Smile::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Take a small (750W!) panel heater or a similar sized tubular heater - they cannot leak.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Used our van all last winter - 700w heater on its own wasn't enough (well insulated van).

Oil-filled 2000w was more than enough, electric blanket was great for warming up the bed ! - but not used at the same time !

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
We're using an 1800 watt Delonghi heater very kindly donated by Salopian on the Marjal meet. We're using it on half power; it is more than adequate for temperatures around 5-6 degrees which we have had some nights and mornings since being out in Spain. We haven't tripped any electric supplies with it including a 6 amp ACSI site and run it in conjunction with computers, fridge, etc.

At home during the winter we use one small panel radiator and it is surprising how effective that is - bearing in mind our van is quite small (4 berth) - 5.82 metres length.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
2000w / 230v = 8.7 amps

a couple of 700watt oil radiators would give a better heat distribution...one at the front and one at the back

if possible stand oil rads on a tin tray in case they start to leak.
not a common occurrence but always possible

Whe use a small fan heater which we have found distributes the heat better and quicker than a static heater. We can switch between 1 & 2KW. Our van is 6.7m long and we find the 1KW setting is ample. You can purchace these for around £20
Also the 1KW setting is OK for sites with only 6amp. As 6A x 220v = 1320w.
Remember if on 6A only to have the heater on.
We have limited our Kettle and Toaster to 850W so we do not overload the trip if on a site with only 6A,.

Malc.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Durr !!!!!!

We're using an 1800 watt Delonghi heater[HI] very kindly donated by Salopian on the Marjal meet. [/HI]We're using it on half power; it is more than adequate for temperatures around 5-6 degrees which we have had some nights and mornings since being out in Spain. We haven't tripped any electric supplies with it including a 6 amp ACSI site and run it in conjunction with computers, fridge, etc.

At home during the winter we use one small panel radiator and it is surprising how effective that is - bearing in mind our van is quite small (4 berth) - 5.82 metres length.

Since then I've been feckin freezing to death !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Fan heaters are good for a boost, but the air soon cools. Halogens are good for keeping the heat once warm and use lower power. Quartz give far better heat for less power consumption that halogens, but the bulbs do not last too long.

Use your gas heater or a 1000w fan heater to warm the place up, and keep it there with a halogen or radiator would be my advice.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I use a fan heater while on hook up 2,000w but only ever have it on 1,000 :thumb:I bought a small PIFCO but the temps between on and off were far too great :Sad: so bought a Lidl one that is digital and has a remote control-under £20 and turns on and off with only a couple of degrees between off and on :thumb:simply set it to 23/24 and it turns on and off when required :thumb:It may be a Delongi (cannot remember) but it is impresive on how it keeps close to the temp set :thumb:none of the boil then freeze waiting for the thermosat to kick in like on the Pifco.
terry

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We've got a lidl one, too.

It is a convection and fan heater (although we've found that it blows cold air if the thermostat has cut in!)

It has a choice of 1000 or 200kw and a remote control.

We also take a small oil-filled radiator to leave on at night.

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi we going to setthorns on the 27 dec in the new forest as we will be on electric hook up want to take small electric heater,as we don't what to trip out on hook up wandered how to work out amps,the heater we might take 2000 watts :whatthe:

Hi Jamwitt . To calculate amps , divide total wattage by 240 .....2000 watts divided by 240 = 8.33 amps,. That's the way I've been told ...hope it's correct

Have a nice trip

Tony:ROFLMAO:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I remember from my school days being taught the 'energy pyramid' in physics. I can't draw a triangle here but the basic text follows:

W
-------
A x V

W = Watts, A = Amps, V = Volts

Just cover the one you want with your finger and apply the maths on what's left.....you only need to know 2 out of the 3 values

i.e to check total amps on a 1000 watt heater on a 240 volt supply...........would come out as

A = W/V = 1000/4 = 4 (approx)

Dunno if this helps (makes sense in my little mind :Blush:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jamwitt . To calculate amps , divide total wattage by 240 .....2000 watts divided by 240 = 8.33 amps,. That's the way I've been told ...hope it's correct

Have a nice trip

Tony:ROFLMAO:
the calculation method is correct but the variables are wrong.

UK benchmark for mains voltage is now 230v...not 240v...so 8.7amps is correct

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Word of advice.. Insurance..

Non OEM space heating of any kind is not generally covered by your vehicle insurance..

use by all means, but never leave unattended.. bear this in mind when choosing and using ..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
the calculation method is correct but the variables are wrong.

UK benchmark for mains voltage is now 230v...not 240v...so 8.7amps is correct

Strictly speaking the spec is 230V +/- 6% (I think) We didn't actually change our whole generation and distribution system so we are still at 240V. It is a paper work thingy to keep the brussels mob happy:Angry:.

However using 230v in this context for calculations is safer as it gives a higher current than dividing by 240v. Supply voltage on my current hookup is showing 242v which is within the 230v +6% range.

OP
OP
Jamwitt

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Thanks jim did not give that a thought :thumb:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
For those into the calculations don’t forget it’s the rated voltage that maters and that is rarely quoted. For instance a 1,000 watt heater element rated for and run on 240 volts would draw 4.166 amps. If the voltage was dropped to 230volts it would draw 3.993 amps and give 918.4 watts. The resistance of the element (57.6 ohms in this example) remains the same. The reverse would also be true, the higher the voltage the higher the current and power output, until it goes bang . Also the motor current needs adding.:RollEyes:

For the original question and those working on the KISS principal, I run a fan heater normally on 1kw but with the option of 2kw if it is very cold and the site power is up to it.
I quite fancy one of these though http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4111012.htm but not the price.:ROFLMAO:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
For those into the calculations don’t forget it’s the rated voltage that maters and that is rarely quoted. For instance a 1,000 watt heater element rated for and run on 240 volts would draw 4.166 amps. If the voltage was dropped to 230volts it would draw 3.993 amps and give 918.4 watts. The resistance of the element (57.6 ohms in this example) remains the same. The reverse would also be true, the higher the voltage the higher the current and power output, until it goes bang /QUOTE]

Sorry that's incorrect. The voltage and current are inversely proportional. Ohms law. So, if the voltage drops the current increases and visa versa for a fixed load. Consequently, the current drawn by a 1kW element, at 230V, would be higher than at 240V and in fact would be 4.35A.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
For those into the calculations don’t forget it’s the rated voltage that maters and that is rarely quoted. For instance a 1,000 watt heater element rated for and run on 240 volts would draw 4.166 amps. If the voltage was dropped to 230volts it would draw 3.993 amps and give 918.4 watts. The resistance of the element (57.6 ohms in this example) remains the same. The reverse would also be true, the higher the voltage the higher the current and power output, until it goes bang /QUOTE]

[HI]Sorry that's incorrect. The voltage and current are inversely proportional.[/HI] Ohms law. So, if the voltage drops the current increases and visa versa for a fixed load. Consequently, the current drawn by a 1kW element, at 230V, would be higher than at 240V and in fact would be 4.35A.

You are assuming a fixed wattage. The figures I am quoting are for a unit where the voltage is varied.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Electric heaters

I would agree with most and suggest a fan assisted heater the best option. Something with selectable output settings, so you can adjust it to the size of supply and thermostatically controlled. For your size of van I would reckon a 1.5kW heater would be suffice to get you up to a comfortable temperature in a reasonable amount of time without any other heat source.

Infra red heaters, quartz/silicon, don't warm the space (air) directly, they warm objects in the space and, thus, give the impression of fast operation. An uncomfortable side effect, in a small area like a motorhome, with infra red heating your eyes can feel very dry.

Oil filled radiators, and the like, take much longer to distribute their output but may be useful to maintain a temperature level once it's been achieved by another source.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
You are assuming a fixed wattage. The figures I am quoting are for a unit where the voltage is varied.

Sorry, still not quite with that. Do you mean where an appliance is designed to operate on dual voltages, say 110/230V, and is switchable between the two?

I would agree, with that sort of arrangement the wattage may be changed due to the switching operation ie change in voltage rating.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Sorry, still not quite with that. Do you mean where an appliance is designed to operate on dual voltages, say 110/230V, and is switchable between the two?

I would agree, with that sort of arrangement the wattage may be changed due to the switching operation ie change in voltage rating.

Hi

Not quite. Taking a more obvious item such as a car bulb, if you turn the lights on and then start the car the lights will dim due to the reduced voltage whilst the starter is running. The bulb may be rated at say 60 watts with 12 volts but with the volts dropping then the wattage output will drop as will the current it is taking.
What you are thinking about is where the 60 watt bulb is on 12 volts it will take 5 amps, a 60 watt bulb designed and running on 240 volts would only take 0.25 of an amp.
The heater is designed for a fixed voltage say 240 volts to give its full output. If you moved to a lower voltage area, say going from the UK with 240 volts to Europe with a 230 volt supply, the wattage output would be lower as would the current drawn. You need to take the resistance of the element into account, as this would be fixed for the unit, by using ohms law.
It can get confusing but I hope this helps.
Mike in Gozo

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Greenhouse heater.

I have a greenhouse fan heater on over the winter, set on lowest setting and Froststat.
I also keep it in the Amethyst all the time when travelling just in case we are ever on EHU. ( never this year). Bought it from a car boot sale, it was on a charity stall and was brand new.
I leave all cupboards and loo door open. Everything stays dry and no mould or condensation.
Some years ago when I had a caravan with no winter heating all the melamine surfaces were covered in green mould after being left for a couple of months
Brian in Sunny Macclesfield.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Whe use a small fan heater which we have found distributes the heat better and quicker than a static heater.
Malc.

True but can be drafty and they are much noiser - i find that they disturb my sleep when switching on/off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back