LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Wondered if anyone could give us advise, we have a Hymer 584, 1999 model.
Last weekend we put the water on to heat up and after about 25-30 mins there was a funny smell coming from the water boiler in the wardrobe, bit of a burning smell, the water does get hot but unsure what the smell could be.
The Traumatic C contol switch can be set to up (water & heating) or down (heating only), switch to the left is 60deg switch right 40deg, there is also a temp dial 5-30

Could the thermostat have gone??
Any help would be much appreciated:help:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Truma boiler

It could be a number of things and it needs invetigating. It could simply be dust getting hot which does smell. It could be failed overheat sensors or something more serious.

There are too many maybe's to give you a proper answer.

driving

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
doncaster southyorkshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
truma

hi bob and val
if you can smell burning turn on taps, if it spits water out its air in the system ours does that.
hope it helps
mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Val

Sounds like your Truma is really giving you a trauma :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Are you certain that the dump valve on the Truma hasn't dropped the water contents out due to the very cold weather of late?

Last edited:
OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Thanks Mark

The burning smell is coming from the water tank in the bottom of the wardrobe, not the taps, it was spitting the water out at first just thought the water tank was empty, (it was a little low), we have now filled the water tank and it still smells!!

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Are you certain that the dump valve on the Truma hasn't dropped the water contents out due to the very cold weather of late?[/QUOTE]

Rob has a pegg on the dump valve as when we first got camper it dumped all the water (not icy)??

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Wondered if anyone could give us advise, we have a Hymer 584, 1999 model.
Last weekend we put the water on to heat up and after about 25-30 mins there was a funny smell coming from the water boiler in the wardrobe, bit of a burning smell, the water does get hot but unsure what the smell could be.
The Traumatic C contol switch can be set to up (water & heating) or down (heating only), switch to the left is 60deg switch right 40deg, there is also a temp dial 5-30

Could the thermostat have gone??
Any help would be much appreciated:help:

3 yrs ago we noticed the same thing-and worried about it.I had it all looked at, was told no problems that they could find.It still happened-now we lay in bed,smell the smell and say"water's hot enough" ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Hope it's the same for you,but for peace of mind I'd have it checked over.

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
3 yrs ago we noticed the same thing-and worried about it.I had it all looked at, was told no problems that they could find.It still happened-now we lay in bed,smell the smell and say"water's hot enough" ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Hope it's the same for you,but for peace of mind I'd have it checked over.

Since having our van for just over a year, we have'nt had this smell before, is there something we could check to see if all ok?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Rob has a pegg on the dump valve as when we first got camper it dumped all the water (not icy)??
I think it dumps several degrees above freezing (8 deg C springs to mind). In cold weather (like when we were away a couple of weeks ago) we keep the water heater on the low setting. Doesn't use much gas and prevents dumping.

Since having our van for just over a year, we have'nt had this smell before, is there something we could check to see if all ok?
Probably best to get a gas engineer to look at it to be sure.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
had a hymer in a while ago with customer complaing of a scorching smell when the combi boiler was on, in theirs it turned out to be a warm air ducting full of insulation and other stuff that mice had dragged in and made a nest with,also had a yank in at begining of the season that had a birds nest in the burner housing.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The burner is shot. These rot out, and when they doi, they flash back into the control module which gives the burining smell - whioch is the module housing. Take off the shroud outside, and you should have lots of soot!

Assuming the module casing is not to badly deformed, you should get away with replacing the burner, if not it will need the burner and module. Not cheap though, look at around £150 for the part.

I would get it in for repairt as soon as possible, and DO NOT USE.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
burning smell

I have the same in my hymer and was told by a heating engineer who already owns a hymer that this smell happens and is nothing to worry about

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back