Thought it would make sense (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Having been given plenty of advise over the last few days, and trawling through old threads, ive decided to get a fresh water tank heater. It will get fitted next wed.

Additional lagging of all the pipes and insulating the tank will also be done next week.

Ive found some insulation board Link Removed

I will line the tank with the board as best I can then suround the lot with double foil insulation roll. The pipe lagging will also be wrapped in the foild bubble where possible for some added insulation.

I've also got side skirts for the open areas around the van to minimise cold air movement.

Oh and an inside/outside thermometer to monitor the situation.

Cheers all for the tips::bigsmile:

Should keep things moving up in the highlands.

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Inside/outside thermometer !!! There should be one on your leccy control panel !!
Very first one has the inside temp. and external is after the waste water gauge, which never works anyway !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I feel sure you already know this and am therefore a little hesitant to post but...

...surely unless an exposed pipe is insulated to the same extent along its entire length it will simply freeze at the place(s) less well insulated when it gets cold enough... weakest link in the chain theory. Therefore I suspect that piling on the insulation in some places and not others might be a waste of time, effort and money.

But then again.. I am no expert... and might be posting rubbish. :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Inside/outside thermometer !!! There should be one on your leccy control panel !!
Very first one has the inside temp. and external is after the waste water gauge, which never works anyway !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

2001 Autotrail, inside temp gauge no, external temp gauge no, waste water gauge, no. :cry:

ÂŁ3 ebay internal/external temp gauge, just to see what temps the sht hits the fan (heater):ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I feel sure you already know this and am therefore a little hesitant to post this but...

...surely unless an exposed pipe is insulated to the same extent along its entire length it will simply freeze at the place(s) less well insulated when it gets cold enough... weakest link in the chain theory. Therefore I suspect that piling on the insulation in some places and not others might be a waste of time, effort and money.

But then again.. I am no expert... and might be posting rubbish. :winky:

JJ :Cool:

I can pretty much get to all of the exposed pipework so will do my damdest to cover as much as i can with as much as i can. The pump is under a habbitation seat where a warm air vent is so little T off that will keep the pump happy.

Im just gonna try to do the best job i can, with a little help from a bloke who actually does know wat he's doing i reckon we'll be ok:RollEyes:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
No doubt you will have a great time away,
must say rather you than me heading north this time of year for snow, I would head south given the choice to some warmth, but work keeps us here.

I take it that as far as the waste tank is concerned you will leave the valve open and use a bucket or two and empty as needed, which i think is what most folk that are away in cold,freezing conditions do

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
for info my waste tank has an insulated jacket fitted, it also has a small air gap band around it, to clarify that there is a portion around the tank that the insulation is away from the tank to allow air flow.
an insulated piece of air duct connects to this air gap and warm blown air from the heater system can be blown around the tank to keep it liquid.

this has a control flap inside the van so can be openned to allow warm air to the tank or closed off.

seems to be effective. :thumb:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
for info my waste tank has an insulated jacket fitted, it also has a small air gap band around it, to clarify that there is a portion around the tank that the insulation is away from the tank to allow air flow.
an insulated piece of air duct connects to this air gap and warm blown air from the heater system can be blown around the tank to keep it liquid.

this has a control flap inside the van so can be openned to allow warm air to the tank or closed off.

seems to be effective. :thumb:

Sounds like a good design feature, i'm just goung to leave the waste pipe open and make sure i pour hot water and non toxic antifreeze down the pipes periodically.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Having been given plenty of advise over the last few days, and trawling through old threads, ive decided to get a fresh water tank heater. It will get fitted next wed.

Additional lagging of all the pipes and insulating the tank will also be done next week.

Ive found some insulation board Link Removed

I will line the tank with the board as best I can then suround the lot with double foil insulation roll. The pipe lagging will also be wrapped in the foild bubble where possible for some added insulation.

I've also got side skirts for the open areas around the van to minimise cold air movement.

Oh and an inside/outside thermometer to monitor the situation.

Cheers all for the tips::bigsmile:

Should keep things moving up in the highlands.

Hi Nick it sound like you have it all worked out so hope it all goes well.what site are you going to,is it highrange by any chance?For winter m/homing you cant beat a euro van. i bought an a/trail kept it 8months it was blloody cold when traveling.:Sad:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
No doubt you will have a great time away,
must say rather you than me heading north this time of year for snow, I would head south given the choice to some warmth, but work keeps us here.

I take it that as far as the waste tank is concerned you will leave the valve open and use a bucket or two and empty as needed, which i think is what most folk that are away in cold,freezing conditions do

Yeh I'll leave the waste open.

I like getting wrapped up in the winter months, i like the heat but unless there's a swimming pool it can get a bit too much for me.

Plus I cant afford a hol abroad right now:roflmto:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi Nick it sound like you have it all worked out so hope it all goes well.what site are you going to,is it highrange by any chance?For winter m/homing you cant beat a euro van. i bought an a/trail kept it 8months it was blloody cold when traveling.:Sad:

Rothiemurchus just out of town, it was a bit of a last minute job and most places were booked up.

To be honest we've never had any cold issues since we've had the van and having spent every winter in the lake District it's been really reliable. However I think the extra few degrees below calls for additional mods, either way im still sleeping in my undies!:whatthe:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sounds like a good design feature, i'm just goung to leave the waste pipe open and make sure i pour hot water and non toxic antifreeze down the pipes periodically.

Has anyone mentioned you shouldn't let a 6 month old drink the antifeeze?:roflmto:

I agree with the previous post, WIMP!

We'll sleeping without our undies in Val Thorens this year!!:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back