Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Hi all, I am thinking of taking the MH to the Grand Prix at Silverstone this coming year and using the site listed on Silverstones website. I see there are no EHU left and wondered if anyone else had done this over previous years and has any useful advice. £65 per person per pitch seem reasonable if that is for all 5 days but if it is per day not so good.
Thanks in advance

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all, I am thinking of taking the MH to the Grand Prix at Silverstone this coming year and using the site listed on Silverstones website. I see there are no EHU left and wondered if anyone else had done this over previous years and has any useful advice. £65 per person per pitch seem reasonable if that is for all 5 days but if it is per day not so good.
Thanks in advance

We've done WSB there three times. It's great. Excellent showers ( free for WSB, not sure about other times ).

There is hookup but they don't half charge for it. We manage 5 days on 100Ah easily.

The £65 is for the whole period, well it is for WSB.

Be a good idea to take push bikes, they are allowed inside and needed, it's one big circuit.

There is a shop, OK for food, no booze.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Have a look at the following site may be of use. Whittlebury Park is a large Hotel/Golf complex adjoining Silverstone. Direct access into it. Stayed there a few years ago the pitches were excellent as were the facilities.

www.whittlebury.com

Trevor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We did this years MotoGP at Silverstone and had no problems, apart from the soft ground in the family area. Just go for normal site and you won't have a problem.
They were actually putting more hook ups on as we arrived due to demand. They were using generators for the extra capacity, and we never had a problem.
It's worth contacting the circuit direct and pester for hook up if you need it. We were told just days before the event that we could have ehu and pay at the gate as we entered. Hildweller is right, it is expensive, so leave everything turned on :ROFLMAO:
It is a large site and the gate onto the circuit from the camping gets mighty busy, so be prepared to be up early if you want a favoured position.
There is a "pub" on the camping area and usually entertainment marquees.
Loads of food outlets, so you shouldn't need to cook, but we did cos we are tight Yorkies.
Most of our time was spent out of the MH so we could have done without ehu really. We were there from Wednesday to Monday.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all, I am thinking of taking the MH to the Grand Prix at Silverstone

The penny has just dropped, you might mean those 4 wheeled things that clutter up the circuit.

In which case, whole different ball game to bikes, double the crowds and rip off prices. Camp sites all round full.

You need advice from F1 FUNsters.

It's quite depressing at WSB, most of the stands are empty and a cheap ticket gets you into all but 1 stand. It looks unloved with at least half the stands locked up.

Anyway, we always look forwards to getting home and watching it on TV where you see the action much better.

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks in advance

Before you do that try

Phil Coley at
The Stratton Arms
Turweston Bucks
its just a pub campsite about 6 miles from Silverstone

01280 704056

Brilliant pub good food and usually only charges a bare minmum

Check it out

Roger:thumb:& Sheila:Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Thanks for the replies to date

The pub six miles away would be a bit of an issue getting to and from the circuit I think but a good idea all the same.

I see on the F1 site that both campsites mentioned so far are on there and both seem to have good facilities. Both really do charge a premium for EHU but the wife's straightners means EHU required.

Hilldweller and Knockinonabit I intend to do the WSB and MotoGPs aswell for last 20 years we have always had dogs that did not like being left with others and were not allowed on circuits. I am a fan of all things motorsport and usually very reluctant to go anywhere on a Sunday between March and Nov, except strangely in the MH where wife and I have made a concious decision no TV in the van, we find we actually talk to each other now.

Thruxton is my closest circuit can anyone advise re camping there for BSB?

That said we have only had the van a year and hope to get to Europe to watch some motorsport this coming year. Any recommendations of any GP MotoGP and WSB events to go with camping facilities very welcome.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Jerez in Spain is a brilliant atmosphere for the MotoGP.
It has a purpose built campsite now, where as before everyone camped/parked in the huge car park.
It will be early on in the season, 5th of May I think, but well worth a visit.
I have been twice and loved it.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jerez in Spain is a brilliant atmosphere for the MotoGP.
It has a purpose built campsite now, where as before everyone camped/parked in the huge car park.

Have to agree. One of the best spectator circuiits there is if you get on the right stand. It's 5th May 13.

We were there for the MotoGP tests last March and could not find any official camp site, it must vanish between races. But a mile down the road on the other side is a sort of park, we stopped there wild camping.

Monza has a great campsite. That's 12th May 13.

My dream is now Mugello. Again built in the hills with MH parking on ridges all round it. 2nd Jun 13.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Have to agree. One of the best spectator circuiits there is if you get on the right stand. It's 5th May 13.

We were there for the MotoGP tests last March and could not find any official camp site, it must vanish between races. But a mile down the road on the other side is a sort of park, we stopped there wild camping.

Monza has a great campsite. That's 12th May 13.

My dream is now Mugello. Again built in the hills with MH parking on ridges all round it. 2nd Jun 13.

The Jerez campsite is at the other side of the motorway and you access the circuit via a tunnel (pedestrians only)

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hi jimiol

I have used both Whittlebury and The (Silverstone) Woodlands campsite. We did Woodlands for the first time last year, and have plumped for that one again this year. It is literally right by one of the gates to enter the circuit (Whittlebury, in the rain/mud, is a bit of a hike in the mornings - especially if the weather is filthy). It depends obviously which bit of Woodlands you get, we were on the 'lively' part last year, and it wasn't too lively (thankfully) on the bit we were on, and really close to the gate.

The music tent was excellent at Woodlands last year. The previous year at Whittlebury, the beer tent and music was also good. Red Bull put in appearances there with their pitstop simulator, and one night we had a brilliant Q&A session with DC and Christian Horner.

The 65 per person per pitch covers you for the whole weekend. I'd recommend getting there on the Thursday afternoon if poss - after that the queuing to get onto site gets a bit silly.

There were no hookups left when I booked on either years - I think they must get snaffled up almost a year in advance. For us it's no prob, as we don't use much leccy; just had to plug in the Kipper a bit on occassion to charge mobiles and camera batteries. I have no telly in MoHo. Just depends how power-hungry you are.

Hope that helps. It's a great weekend.

Jamie.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The Jerez campsite is at the other side of the motorway and you access the circuit via a tunnel (pedestrians only)

You you have the GPS cords for the site, be very interested for next year.

Thanks John

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Camped on Silverstone Woodlands several times, generally well organised.
Last year for both the GP and the Classic, the conditions were appalling, but the staff were pretty good. Towed onto a pitch on both occasions and towed off again, without a lot of hold up. They did make available vast quantities of bark chippings to put around the pitches.

An easy walk to the circuit, plenty of entertainment, catering and decent facilities. It can get lively....there are a lot of people, but a great experience.
The camp site does post updates on facebook and twitter

Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back