LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone use these to keep the van frost free in winter?

31CRV6JLi4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2ft Long Tubular Heater with Plug and Wall-mounting brackets
IP55 rating makes this waterproof to low pressure water jets
Ideal for airing cupboards, boats, churches - keeps rooms aired and helps prevent condensation
80 Watts output, costs around 1.5p per hour to run, and has an automatic heat-sensitive cut-out
This does not have a thermostat, but you can wire it into one if necessary

Any thoughts?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mate uses one and he is happy :thumb: Also I know a man who has 5 in his van and uses them for heating -he says they are great but I cannot confirm if they are up to that task :Smile:
at 20 quid and 40p ish a day it is worth a try
terry

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They get dangerously hot on the surface and don't forget if it sets fire to the van you'll not be covered - according to safeguard.

I've got a small greenhouse heater, just about keeps it above zero.

Last time this came up some were saying "why bother".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
They get dangerously hot on the surface and don't forget if it sets fire to the van you'll not be covered - according to safeguard.

I've got a small greenhouse heater, just about keeps it above zero.

Last time this came up some were saying "why bother".

Brian

Any info on your greenhouse heater:?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian

Any info on your greenhouse heater:?

Just looked on B&Q web site, can't see it. It was a 200W convector that I've mounted on a heavy lump of metal to make it stable.

B&Q have some oil filled radiators at a decent price. Unless they leak I think they are the least likely to cause a fire due to something falling on them or being near furnishings.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We don`t bother with a heater, find it best to take all the soft furnishings out and store them in the house, drain all the water, leave taps and drains open.
Also open all the cupboard doors, fridge freezer etc so air can move around all the motorhome
So far "touch wood" we haven`t had any problems.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dave I use this one, I place it on the floor, open all the lockers. It gets pretty cold here and without a bit of heat I have had wood warp. It's worked a treat so far. Surprisingly It gets VERY hot so make sure nothing can fall on it.
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Tubular-Heater-120w-Cream/dp/B001HAQQ7I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354961126&sr=8-5"]2Ft Long Tubular Heater 120w Cream: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a 120w tube heater that I leave on all the time in winter months, keeps van about 2 degrees above outside temp. I also have small oil filled radiator on a thermostatic plug that clicks on if temp goes below 1 degree.

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Hi I have a 2ft tube heater in front locker it's on all the time we are on hook up now its frosty just keeps the water pump & pipes above freezing
regards
Tony

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm in the "why bother" camp now.

For the first four years that we had a van (2006-9) we used a small oil filled radiator but decided in 2010 to see if using no heat made any difference. 2010 was, of course, the coldest winter we've had for years with snow lying for weeks. We had no problems at all. Last year we used no heating (though we didn't have a van to heat from mid December to the end of January of course ::bigsmile:) and had no problems.

I drain down fully, open the cupboards and lift the cushions & mattress to allow air circulation.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Don't forget to vent too

Anyone use these to keep the van frost free in winter?

31CRV6JLi4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2ft Long Tubular Heater with Plug and Wall-mounting brackets
IP55 rating makes this waterproof to low pressure water jets
Ideal for airing cupboards, boats, churches - keeps rooms aired and helps prevent condensation
80 Watts output, costs around 1.5p per hour to run, and has an automatic heat-sensitive cut-out
This does not have a thermostat, but you can wire it into one if necessary

Any thoughts?

Putting heat into a space will allow the air to absorb more water, ie will make any dampness airborne, and cause it to condense on your cold bits. If you are going to heat your 'van you need to provide, what's probably the more difficult bit, adequate ventilation to encourage it to settle outside somewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back