Some councils banned from DVLA web (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm surprised they only mention since 2009. The rules have been in place from the time that access was given to LAs. It far more than 3 years ago since I was involved in implementing a system which included such access.

It's rather annoying that the story is shirt on facts. Poor administration should not happen and needs to be acted on but that is a far cry from deliberate, criminal, acts. It would be much more illuminating if the extent of criminality (and the punishments that have been imposed) were spelled out. Perhaps, though, the level is so low that to provide the facts would spoil Big Brother Watch's biased agenda.

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I'm surprised they only mention since 2009. The rules have been in place from the time that access was given to LAs. It far more than 3 years ago since I was involved in implementing a system which included such access.

It's rather annoying that the story is shirt on facts. Poor administration should not happen and needs to be acted on but that is a far cry from deliberate, criminal, acts. It would be much more illuminating if the extent of criminality (and the punishments that have been imposed) were spelled out. Perhaps, though, the level is so low that to provide the facts would spoil Big Brother Watch's biased agenda.

Makes you wonder how the information is used

By companies with access other than councils

Use the information and for what purpose

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Depends if it is legitimate or not. From the DVLA web site "Regulations allow for the release of information from DVLA’s vehicle register to the police, to local authorities for the investigation of an offence or on-road parking contravention, and to anybody who demonstrates reasonable cause to have the information.". Nothing wrong with that as such release would be in the public interest.

Otherwise I suppose it would be criminals, newspapers (assuming a difference) or private investigators whose cause to have the information is outside the public interest.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - I'd just like to say - Good work by the DVLA !

Isn't it refreshing to hear that a Government Dept is taking Data Security seriously, instead of losing the memory stick with it all on? -AND taking appropriate action.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well - I'd just like to say - Good work by the DVLA !

Isn't it refreshing to hear that a Government Dept is taking Data Security seriously, instead of losing the memory stick with it all on? -AND taking appropriate action.

Yes, and isn't it typical that the story from Big Brother Watch didn't highlight that fact.

Of course, we never hear of the times when the public sector gets it right, just the relatively few incidents when something goes wrong - and then usually because the public sector is subject to FoIA. It would be nice if private industry was subject to the same laws and wasn't able to cover up the ways in which they abuse our personal data.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Read any company who will pay can get details they dont care why DVLA just want the money

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Read any company who will pay can get details they dont care why DVLA just want the money

No, that is not the case. The DVLA, like any other organisation, can only release personal data in compliance with the Data Protection Act. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary they should inform the ICO straight away.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
From their FOI data...

Hinkcley & Bosworth via leics Not authorised to make enquiries 18/03/2010 26.03/10

Hinckley & Bosworth Council No contract in place 19/06/2012 21/6/2012

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Seem to remember a couple of years ago that two Blackpool traffic police officers were 'done' for using the system solely as a means of obtaining the addresses of young attractive female drivers.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
In my current role I have access to the DVLA site for Driving Licence enquiries. I must say that every check I carry out is audited and I know that if it is not for a legitimate purpose, OR I do not include sufficient details to PROVE it is for a legitimate purpose then I risk my organisation becoming barred.

DVLA do indeed take their responsibilities seriously under the Data Protection Act (and rightly so)

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back