Microwave power when parked. (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Picking up my first M/H monday and it has a miicrowave built in.
I tried to operate it but it seems it is 240v only.
Is there a way i can use it when parked and not hooked up, off the batteries?
Thanks
joner

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
As Peter has said without an AC source (generator or inverter) the microwave wont run.

Should you buy an inverter, be warned, using any AC appliance which is hungry on current will hammer the battery(ies).

Best bet is only use Microwave, fan heater, Remoska etc etc when hooked up to the mains i.e. EHU.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I power mine off an 1800 watt inverter, helps to have the engine running. Haven't got a dedicated supply so I just use an extension lead on the rare occasions I need to.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
dont forget that on start up like all electrical items it uses roughly twice the amount of power that it is rated at when fully running. e.g. an 800w item probably has a 1600w peak level on startup and using an inverter from your batteries takes more out than just whats needed for the item as it has to power itself as well
Most folk that want to use such items when not on hookup will have a genny which depending on what you want to use are usually from 1000kva to 2500kva and are usually of the pure sine wave type so as not to damage any electrical items such as tv, laptop satelite system etc which might only run on 240 mains normally

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I power mine off an 1800 watt inverter, helps to have the engine running. Haven't got a dedicated supply so I just use an extension lead on the rare occasions I need to.

How much charging current does the engine alternator provide to the leisure battery on tick-over? Not much I would have thought mainly due to the fact that the alternator output is controlled by the engine battery voltage.

A 800W microwave would draw about 70 amps from the inverter so this means very large electric cabling and a 120Ahr battery lasting about 75 minutes.

Though much noisier and yet another inconvenience a generator seems much better. Thats if you have room and payload to carry a generator and its fuel safely.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
having witnessed haggers fitting his 1800w inverter this weekend - and watching the microwave in action off his battery bank...a large inverter run microwave is definatley feasible....if you have enough batteries, i think haggers has 3x110a

the microwave was pulling close to 100a (Nasa Bm1 showing this) :Eeek: but don't forget...unless your trying to do a whole chicken...most use of a microwave will be for minutes rather than hours

so...based on haggers microwave pulling 100a - that works out as 1.6a per minute of use, even on a 10 minute stint its only 16amps.. relatively easy to replace

so my view would be have a decent battery bank and it should be fine - and if you happen to have a B2B or solar panel...jobs a good un:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Agree with Bungy above. The microwave only draws about the same battery current as the hairdryer and both are only used for a few minutes at a time. Work fine off inverter.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Mine only works on hook up. So, if i am not hooked up, back to basics, gas oven and hob. It's not difficult.

Craig

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
having witnessed haggers fitting his 1800w inverter this weekend - and watching the microwave in action off his battery bank...a large inverter run microwave is definatley feasible....if you have enough batteries, i think haggers has 3x110a

the microwave was pulling close to 100a (Nasa Bm1 showing this) :Eeek: but don't forget...unless your trying to do a whole chicken...most use of a microwave will be for minutes rather than hours

so...based on haggers microwave pulling 100a - that works out as 1.6a per minute of use, even on a 10 minute stint its only 16amps.. relatively easy to replace

so my view would be have a decent battery bank and it should be fine - and if you happen to have a B2B or solar panel...jobs a good un:thumb:

A B2B and a solar panel, there's a good idea, oh dam forgot, got them too. :Sad:

toys man i need toys. :Cool:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
A B2B and a solar panel, there's a good idea, oh dam forgot, got them too. :Sad:

toys man i need toys. :Cool:

if you get anymore your going to need one of Broken Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
if you get anymore your going to need one of Broken Link Removed

having taken a wrong turn out of Cardington today and heading for 10 miles on roads where cars had to reverse for miles to get out of my way, and dog walkers shook there heads in disbelief, I most certainly do not want one of them :Eeek:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
having taken a wrong turn out of Cardington today and heading for 10 miles on roads where cars had to reverse for miles to get out of my way, and dog walkers shook there heads in disbelief, I most certainly do not want one of them :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
By page 4 of this thread my 1800watt Sterling is happily running my 1100watt full load current microwave
Broken Link Removed

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Originally Posted by Rolfarris Link Removed

How much charging current does the engine alternator provide to the leisure battery on tick-over? Not much I would have thought mainly due to the fact that the alternator output is controlled by the engine battery voltage.

A 800W microwave would draw about 70 amps from the inverter so this means very large electric cabling and a 120Ahr battery lasting about 75 minutes.

Though much noisier and yet another inconvenience a generator seems much better. Thats if you have room and payload to carry a generator and its fuel safely.

Agree with Bungy above. The microwave only draws about the same battery current as the hairdryer and both are only used for a few minutes at a time. Work fine off inverter.

Sorry, only just seen Oldun's query to my post, I've never used it for longer than 2 or 3 minutes to heat something so not been a problem. My inverter feeds the roof aircon but I've cut into the feed to give me a 13a socket to plug a kettle into when parked in a layby, feeds the microwave too with an ext lead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back