Auto-Trail visit (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
In a short time time we will be setting off to Grimsby to visit some friends and have a factory tour at Auto-Trail.

We will be parking on our friends drive tonight and doing the visit tomorrow.

A report will be posted here on our return. They are going to have their ears bent on all of the faults we still have with the MH and the length of time it has taken to resolve them.
I will be taking a particular interest in the Quality Control department, or lack of it, it would seem.

Back on line tomorrow night or Saturday am, depending on time etc.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
In a short time time we will be setting off to Grimsby to visit some friends and have a factory tour at Auto-Trail.

A report will be posted here on our return. They are going to have their ears bent on all of the faults we still have with the MH and the length of time it has taken to resolve them.
I will be taking a particular interest in the Quality Control department, or lack of it, it would seem.

If there is a Scout on the production line it could be ours so tell them to pull their socks up:thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Our dealer took delivery of a couple of factory fresh AT's last Friday, we called Saturday and had a good look around a Hi line Mohawk with the 150 engine, we were offered a very good deal but left it at that for the weekend.

Aside from the usual sawdust in the cupboards and under bench seats (seemingly an AT trademark) all seemed well screwed together with no obvious defects and I did search thoroughly.:Eeek:

I should add we were not happy bunnies at all when our new Tracker was handed over to us in 2010, there were a lot of issues mainly cosmetic that should have been picked up by quality control (and pdi)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
Our dealer took delivery of a couple of factory fresh AT's last Friday, we called Saturday and had a good look around a Hi line Mohawk with the 150 engine, we were offered a very good deal but left it at that for the weekend.

Aside from the usual sawdust in the cupboards and under bench seats (seemingly an AT trademark) all seemed well screwed together with no obvious defects and I did search thoroughly.:Eeek:

Woodworm????

:thumb:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...

My new Tribute was like that with the sawdust and general bits of debris. Glad to kow it must be written into the spec...:ROFLMAO:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

My new Tribute was like that with the sawdust and general bits of debris. Glad to kow it must be written into the spec...:ROFLMAO:

Have you done any minor dismantling yet! when routing some cables I found, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, electrical ods and sods and a small screwdriver?:thumb: Its been very handy:winky:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Have you done any minor dismantling yet! when routing some cables I found, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, electrical ods and sods and a small screwdriver?:thumb: Its been very handy:winky:

Only found a few screws that I threw in my toolbox, after checking they weren't actually meant to be somewhere.:Eeek: It sounds bad but I'm actually happy enough with the way it's all been put together for what is marketed as a "budget motorhome".

(I see that you are retired MN, well done, I'm stilll at it...)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Email them and ask

I would love to go on a factory tour:cry:--how did you get invited?

We have done the tour - contact them and ask. They gave us a date some way into the future though but it was very interesting.

The staff are all on bonus so I am not surprised that the quality control is lacking. Our tracker was and is still coming up with little surprises.

MikeD :thumb::thumb::thumb:

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/factory-tours

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
while your there at the factory, do us a favor

ask why do's it take 5 trips to get the decals correctly fitted, [they rolled up and one blew off] with over 200miles round trips, and 6months to get right, when thay should have been right from the factory.:Doh::Doh:
also when i spoke to a director of autotrail about a brand new cooker not lighting up he says push the gas knob, UNTIL you smell the gas then blow [with your mouth ] the gas onto the "CLICKER" this will light it [GOODBYE HAIR AND EYEBROWS.] note clicker is my word as i dont remember the name he said:Eeek:
also why if you buy a new tribute are you NOT part of the autotrail family ??:Angry::Angry:
these are only some of my many moans, but you may get a better response from one of the workers
thanks if you can find the time GEORGE

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
ask why do's it take 5 trips to get the decals correctly fitted, [they rolled up and one blew off] with over 200miles round trips, and 6months to get right, when thay should have been right from the factory.:Doh::Doh:
also when i spoke to a director of autotrail about a brand new cooker not lighting up he says push the gas knob, UNTIL you smell the gas then blow [with your mouth ] the gas onto the "CLICKER" this will light it [GOODBYE HAIR AND EYEBROWS.] note clicker is my word as i dont remember the name he said:Eeek:
also why if you buy a new tribute are you NOT part of the autotrail family ??:Angry::Angry:
these are only some of my many moans, but you may get a better response from one of the workers
thanks if you can find the time GEORGE

That's bad George, hope you're van is sorted now but you clearly need a few more answers. It's a shame that what should be a positive experience has been tainted so badly.
The only teething problems with ours was a defective toilet flush button, changed within 10 mins at the dealers, (they borrowed a switch off one of the show room vans.):thumb:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...

So how was it?:Smile:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I picked up my new Commanche 3 weeks ago from a dealer and have systematically been going through all the on board items. I had a Freshlight A/C and Oyster sat dish fitted along with tow bar and electrics. I have been very pleased with the van and so far, apart from a dodgy fuse on the media pack, have not encountered any issues at all. I have not yet been away in it so could encounter issues when we spend a few nights away. We are going up to Cumbria for 4 or 5 days before Christmas so that will be the true test. Overall though the build quality and finish is absolutely fine.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Visit Report

The tour started off in reception, where we signed in and were given a hot drink (from a machine).
At 10 o'clock our guide, Pete, then introduced himself and gave us a brief history of Auto-Trail.
Issued with our safety specs we were then taken into the factory and shown every aspect of producing a MH from chassis cab to final finnish.
A very interesting tour where we were encouraged to speak to the workforce and ask as many questions as we liked.
There was nowhere that was out of bounds and every procedure was explained fully.

I managed to get to speak about the problems we have had and have assurances that all will be put right very soon. Aftersales is an area the they are working hard to satisfy customer needs, as obviously, adverse publicity can seriously damage their reputation. I will be very interested to see the results in terms of them keeping their word.

The factory works an eight and a half hour day Monday to Thursday so that they can finish work at one on Friday. This is when the tour ends.

I would recommend anyone to go on the tour if they can, even if they are not Auto-Trail owners, or potential owners, as it is an eye opener on MH construction.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The tour started off in reception, where we signed in and were given a hot drink (from a machine).
At 10 o'clock our guide, Pete, then introduced himself and gave us a brief history of Auto-Trail.
Issued with our safety specs we were then taken into the factory and shown every aspect of producing a MH from chassis cab to final finnish.
A very interesting tour where we were encouraged to speak to the workforce and ask as many questions as we liked.
There was nowhere that was out of bounds and every procedure was explained fully.

I managed to get to speak about the problems we have had and have assurances that all will be put right very soon. [HI]Aftersales is an area the they are working hard to satisfy customer needs, as obviously, adverse publicity can seriously damage their reputation[/HI]. I will be very interested to see the results in terms of them keeping their word.

The factory works an eight and a half hour day Monday to Thursday so that they can finish work at one on Friday. This is when the tour ends.

I would recommend anyone to go on the tour if they can, even if they are not Auto-Trail owners, or potential owners, as it is an eye opener on MH construction.

If it was not such a serious issue I would laugh out loud..

Word for word, same old diatribe year in year out..

But hey, on the positive side, Swift make them look god like ! :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Now starting to regret ordering an Autotrail:Sad:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If there is a Scout on the production line it could be ours so tell them to pull their socks up:thumb:

Didn't see yours on the line. Don't think there were any Scouts being built as they obviously do them in batches of the same type, usually running two or three types at the same time.

They produce 5 MHs a day and each MH is normally three days in build.

When did they say that yours will be ready?

I wouldn't worry about ordering an Auto-Trail, just give it a thorough going over when you go to pick it up, and don't be rushed on the handover. At least you can contact Auto-Trail direct and speak to them, unlike some other manufacturers. Overall we are pleased with ours, it's just the stupid niggley little things that should be easily sorted that annoy. I would fix them myself, but why should I when it's under warranty. Guess I'm just a stubborn sod.

Our guide Pete told us that he has only twice had people on the tour who saw their own MH being built. You know it's yours because they are all given an individual build number.

One thing we were told is that all Auto-Trail chassis cabs that come from Italy are brought on a transporter direct to them. when it is finished it is sent on a transporter to the dealer. So if yours has more than 10 to 15 miles on the clock when you collect it you need to be asking why and where has it been.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have been told March 2013 so a fair time yet.

We have a good dealer so hopefully they will spot any obvious faults because unless I hit my head on them, I miss them.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If it was not such a serious issue I would laugh out loud..

Word for word, same old diatribe year in year out..

But hey, on the positive side, Swift make them look god like ! :thumb:

On the positive side, they were genuinely concerned at the faults that I highlighted, some of which has not, it would appear, been passed on by the dealer. I was told that I should contact my dealer asap and if I don't get the issued resolved straight away then get straight back to Auto-Trail and they will sort it.

I have taken them at face value, no other option really, so we will see what happens.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We have been told March 2013 so a fair time yet.

We have a good dealer so hopefully they will spot any obvious faults because unless I hit my head on them, I miss them.::bigsmile:

They are saying that their order books have not been as healthy for a long time and they will be taking on more staff too increase from the 85 they now have in the workshop. Mind you, it will mainly be people that they laid off at the start of the recession :Doh:.

Get the dealer to try everything while you are there and make sure it all works and that you understand how it all works. That "new MH" glow soon wears off when the toilet won't flush, or the fridge won't work etc.
At least you can phone Auto-Trail direct and someone will talk you through it, or e-mail you the correct instructions.

I'm sure it will be just fine and you'll love it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I rather liked your van when I saw it at Waldegraves but a bit too long for our drive (turning circle at the end). Dawn was really taken with Mark and Anna's Tracker, which had plenty of "dog room"...........

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I rather liked your van when I saw it at Waldegraves but a bit too long for our drive (turning circle at the end). Dawn was really taken with Mark and Anna's Tracker, which had plenty of "dog room"...........

We have altered our drive to be able to park alongside the house, but behind a six foot fence and gates. I now have to reverse in as it over runs the concrete onto the lawn if I drive in. Not a good move as I now have two big grooves in the lawn from driving in. When reversed in the rear overhang is above the lawn with the rear wheels just on the concrete.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I would like to widen our drive entrance by a couple of feet so that it would be easy to get in and out but can't do this for various reasons..........

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm not jealous at all..........

Much!

Enjoy!:thumb:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just been thinking :Eeek:.

Some time ago I recall on one of the threads a complaint that the radios were not working properly, due to the aeriels being chopped off so that the body can be fitted.
According to our guide Pete, take great care of your nearside mirror as they cost over £300 to replace. :whatthe:

The reason is that the aerial is in there.
Whether this applies to older models I know not, but it is true of the new models.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back