draing down (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
on draining down taps inside had ice formed over is this going to cause problems when i use van at later date

deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Going on from your question if the fresh water and waste water tanks are drained and left open the boiler and toilet empty taps open is there any thing else?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unscrew the shower head and blow down the hose - Don Madge tip to empty it of water.

Open cupboards/lockers, prop up seat cushions (and mattress if a fixd bed) to help air flow and avoid cold spots where condensation may occur.

Use the van as much as possible year round :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your pump will be lower than all the taps and even though nothing but air will have come out the taps there will be a little water left in the pipes and it will settle to the lowest point...probably your pump.

if its accessible I would undo one, or both, of the pump unions or unscrew the filter and drain out the last drops of water.

if you have a submersible pump ignore the above advise :Doh:

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Unscrew the shower head and blow down the hose - Don Madge tip to empty it of water.

Open cupboards/lockers, prop up seat cushions (and mattress if a fixd bed) to help air flow and avoid cold spots where condensation may occur.

Use the van as much as possible year round :thumb:

Dont stop using it atall just use bottled water or water contaner if you dont have frost protection and keep calm and carry on camping

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
on draining down taps inside had ice formed over is this going to cause problems when i use van at later date
dont think so just make sure you have got most off the water out leve drane on heater off open all taps as previus poster said blow down shower hose drane and remove conections bothe sides of pump and it should be fine only usualy problems when ice hasent got room to expand :thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Going on from your question if the fresh water and waste water tanks are drained and left open the boiler and toilet empty taps open is there any thing else?

Unfortunately in nearly all vans there will be low points in the water system where water will remain and may cause a problem. It is very difficult to get rid af all of the water.

Also water may remain in a fresh water filter (if you have one).

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Wouldn't it be easier if we lived somewhere warm?

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
A lot of American m/homes have a 'city water' connection , I don't know if any Euro vans have the same thing?????------but with our city water connection I just screw on an air line adapter and blow the system out with air (just a small power-pack type compressor)---------opening one tap at a time------------then leave everything open-----not forgetting the outside shower (l often forget to close it when filling the system). There is pipe-work hidden in areas where water can lay (and freeze) and be hard to get at to repair:Sad:

On our camper we have a tee'd pipe which is designed to suck antifreeze from a container instead of water from the tank-----fantastic idea---but I have not yet used it !!!!--------RV anti-freeze is available from most RV spares places-----------I always drop a bit into the 'U' traps on sinks and shower.

Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back