link required for free speed up software (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Help required,
For free software to speed up our early laptop that is running slow, software you would recomend...laptop is running Xp home edition

thank you....Mel

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
Help required,
For free software to speed up our early laptop that is running slow, software you would recomend...laptop is running Xp home edition

thank you....Mel

Cant help you with free stuff - all of the stuff out there seems to try and get you to pay no matter what.

Can Recommend AVG Tune Up - but its £25 for 1 Computer for 1 Year. I suppose you could buy it and you have 30 days to say you dont want it.

Personally I have bought 4 Licences for 2 Years for £59. Suits me and the family. Worth it just for memory and registry issues for £5 / machine

Hope it helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cant help you with free stuff - all of the stuff out there seems to try and get you to pay no matter what.

Can Recommend AVG Tune Up - but its £25 for 1 Computer for 1 Year. I suppose you could buy it and you have 30 days to say you dont want it.

Personally I have bought 4 Licences for 2 Years for £59. Suits me and the family. Worth it just for memory and registry issues for £5 / machine

Hope it helps

Thank you ....I had just down loaded the AV tune up, while I was waiting for any replies, after the long download...of what it said was free....it did a check BUT before it would do a clean up.... it said now a payment of £25.00 was required ...but what could see it did look good...but I have now un-installed the Av tune up...It is still a possible....
I am always wary of free downloads..not sure if they are from safe sites:Doh:

Mel

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Mel

have a look here mate, Link Removed This site is all free stuff which has been reviewed and tested..

I use CCleaner, it's safe, does a good clean out and doesn't go too deep in to the registry .. it also allows you to create a file of its changes in case an undo is necessary.

after cleaning I use Windows own defrager ..

another good one is Glary Utilities .. (on same site)

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i really don't think there is anything in software to speed any pc up but ms config and closing down the programs from opening on start up works good
maybe a format so long as you have your drivers also is a good way to get rid of clusters of junk you can't see

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel

have a look here mate, Link Removed This site is all free stuff which has been reviewed and tested..

I use CCleaner, it's safe, does a good clean out and doesn't go too deep in to the registry .. it also allows you to create a file of its changes in case an undo is necessary.

after cleaning I use Windows own defrager ..

another good one is Glary Utilities .. (on same site)

Thanks Jim I will have a look at the link ...I have just been looking at ccleaner that Brian and you suggest on youtube...

Mel

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Free Registry Cleaner at http://www.amltools.com/ will clear out the registry, get rid of leftover temporary files, and will allow you to manage the start-up routine so unnecessary applications aren't setting up and running in the background. Before scanning the registry it will offer to make a back up copy in case of problems. I've had no problems so far.

My advice with the start up manager is if you don't know what an application does, leave it well alone, but you may find some unwanted updaters trying to start up and they will slow your computer down.

Also, I'm led to believe that increasing the size of the paging file in the virtual memory to the recommended maximum can help with day to day tasks.

Of course the easiest way to boost a computer's performance is to increase the amount of onboard RAM, but it has to be exactly the right type of RAM card.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
UK Bill is right no software will 'speed up' your machine. The best you can hope for is that it can help remove unwanted'stuff' that may be slowing it down.
A very good way to regain original performance is to completely wipe your hrad disk and install evefything from scratch - as long you have the resources to do so - WINDOWS DISK and other programmes to install plus of course, the courage to do so.
Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back