Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Thinking of getting one of those wrap around internal quilted screen blind thingies. to aid insulation and reduce condensation. Could you kind, helpful funsters tell me if, in your experience, they are they effective?

Thanks

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Best to get an external one which will more or less eliminate condensation on the windscreen, unless you do a lot of wilding.

OP
OP
Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Best to get an external one which will more or less eliminate condensation on the windscreen, unless you do a lot of wilding.

Is the 'Wilding' reference because it may get liberated?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Is the 'Wilding' reference because it may get liberated?

More to do with if you need to move in a hurry and therefore don't need to exit your vehicle e.g. undesirables outside your vehicle.

Most external screens are secured by a door or window (some A class), so couldn't be removed easily without damage, if someone took a liking to it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed, internal are reflective, mainly for summer use to keep the sun off.
external are insulated to retain warmth and reduce condensation.

external are generally slipped over the rear edge of the door tops, sort of a triangular pocket, and tied to the mirror stems to hold them in place, which is why they are vehicle specific.

OP
OP
Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Agreed, internal are reflective, mainly for summer use to keep the sun off.
external are insulated to retain warmth and reduce condensation.

external are generally slipped over the rear edge of the door tops, sort of a triangular pocket, and tied to the mirror stems to hold them in place, which is why they are vehicle specific.

Internal it is than. Thank you both.
Mike

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i have an outside thermal screen fits over the doors etc , but when i am wilding i put it on the inside , they are quite stiff and prop up on the inside on the dash OK , i just fold the sun visors down to keep the top in place , sometimes i clothes peg the window section end to the seat belt . just to keep it up . works ok . Graham

OP
OP
Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
i have an outside thermal screen fits over the doors etc , but when i am wilding i put it on the inside , they are quite stiff and prop up on the inside on the dash OK , i just fold the sun visors down to keep the top in place , sometimes i clothes peg the window section end to the seat belt . just to keep it up . works ok . Graham

Just when I'd made up my mind.

Thanks

Mike

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Thinking of getting one of those wrap around internal quilted screen blind thingies. to aid insulation and reduce condensation. Could you kind, helpful funsters tell me if, in your experience, they are they effective?

Thanks

We had these (internal blinds) for a Lunar Premier that we have just sold, worked well for privacy & shutting the sun out but did absolutely nothing for condensation.

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
To be honest - never tried the internal ones because of all the talk about condensation between the blind and the screen.

Can recommend external - but dont do what we did and buy cheap....

Bought a Milenco external blind - looked crap, worked OK until 10 months old when the aluminium seperated from the material - sent it back!!!

Fit once and fit the best (only in my opinion). I got proper silverscreens. Brilliant!! fits like a glove looks fine and easy to fit / store.

Someone is selling seconds on ebay every now and then - ours is a second and I still dont know why??? Is is supposed to be black??:roflmto: - oopps any other colour:winky:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As regards condensation , we have a dehumidifier unit , got it from ALDI about £7 with 3 spare packs , it is basically just a box with a chemical pack that sits on top of it , but you get about half a cup of water collected in it over 24 hours , i leave it in the van all the time .

As regards the blinds i paid about £80 plus for our Ducato based Rapido but well worth it .

Don't get the internal ones with the suckers they keep falling off , i had them in the last MH .:Doh:

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I would go for external and then you wouldn't get condensation
I've never had a problem with these

OP
OP
Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
To be honest - never tried the internal ones because of all the talk about condensation between the blind and the screen.

Can recommend external - but dont do what we did and buy cheap....

Bought a Milenco external blind - looked crap, worked OK until 10 months old when the aluminium seperated from the material - sent it back!!!

Fit once and fit the best (only in my opinion). I got proper silverscreens. Brilliant!! fits like a glove looks fine and easy to fit / store.

Someone is selling seconds on ebay every now and then - ours is a second and I still dont know why??? Is is supposed to be black??:roflmto: - oopps any other colour:winky:

Thanks mdixon You're not taking the p..s by any chance. So I should I buy the best (as in most expensive)? Or are there bargains? Sorry mdixon, it's late and I am a bit boozed.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We had internals and now have externals. With the externals zero condensation, much more effective...

I keep reminding myself to to put my internals for sale on EBay as we never use them now....

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years

Thanks
Hi, having used Remis internal blinds in my last and current MH I noticed condensation on the windscreen was quite bad. I bought a 2nd hand 1 from Caravan and Motorhome club classifieds. A Silver screen Paragon, £30. What a huge difference. No condensation whatsoever. A definate buy I would recommend.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Internal Sucker Blinds =mega condensation
External Insulated Blinds are the best.
Hindermann sell a full cab protective cover.

We agree. We bought an external screen cover in France on our first winter excursion through France to Spain. Although quite expensive €250 (from memory) it stopped condensation completely. Before, with just the Remis blinds, you had to mop up water on the screen which was wringing wet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back