Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Hi All,

We are looking forward to being back on the road in April when we will take delivery of our nice New Motorhome.

After all the issues we have had this year with having to hand back the other Motorhome, we missed out on lots of holidays we had booked.

The wife has been busy booking up various events we want to attend.
We had anticipated if things had gone well this year , that we would of been booking our first trip abroad next year.

Are there any rallies or organised trips abroad you could recommend for us first timers.
We figure that it would be safer to go with others first , so as to see how things are done, plus we shall obviously be worried that we may encounter major manufacturing issues that we had this year.. Safety in numbers my wife says.

So if you know of anything that may be of interest to us , please let us know.

Hope you are all well and keeping warm and dry.

Geordie and Marilyn

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The major clubs do tours and rallies abroad at ludicrously high prices, which might be of interest to you as a first timer.

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole but then I prefer to do my own thing with negligible or no planning.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't panic. It's easier than here. Just buy the ACSI discount book and the DVD and you'll find planning easy.

You'll be spoiled for choice !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would just do your reading/research first and then get going.It's generally a lot easier than here in the UK and you will meet loads of people on the way who will keep you right.
There's little to fear except fear itself!:thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi & Welcome from the isle of wight. Sorry to hear you've had probs with new van, as said before do your research on the continent I/we have been several times to france / belguim / holland mostly to france its very easy , driving on the right after first couple of minutes it then becomes second nature , just remember if you stop for a cuppa or whatever remember to then go back to driving on the right ,language not so much a problem I only know just a few basics and have always got by, campsites ACSI is probably best for your first time but we use aires ( keeps the overall cost down) most of the time and campsites about every 4th or 5th night . Avoid august as it gets very busy we usually go late june/early july but next year we are going in sept to brittany. I suggest taking a good sat nav also a map but research on which area you want to go to is most important.
Terry:sin:

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
Did our first abroad last year. Brittany in June, had a great time along the south coast. We found French campsites cheaper than here, especially with the ACSI Card. Stayed just outside Quimper, down to the Morbian Gulf (Gorgeous) which is great for casual cycling. Only learned German in school - still got by- even though I ordered a meal wrong!!!

Went to Belgium later in the year had a lovely time in Ypres (Have posted before how good the site is) and visited my Greatuncles Grave. Humbling experience.

Enjoy - Its all out there, just wish I could give up working - but the banks have nicked my pension :roflmto: Sorry couldnt resist ShiftZZ!

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Thanks for all your help.

We have just joined the ACSI and ordered the DVD ETC.

We shall look forward to getting lots of ideas from them.

Just a thought. does anyone have problems with the ferry loading. We have a bit of an overhang and are just over 8 meters long. I know we had quite a bit of trouble loading the last one onto the Low loader, got very close to bottoming it out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Geordie,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for all your help.

We have just joined the ACSI and ordered the DVD ETC.

We shall look forward to getting lots of ideas from them.

Just a thought. does anyone have problems with the ferry loading. We have a bit of an overhang and are just over 8 meters long. I know we had quite a bit of trouble loading the last one onto the Low loader, got very close to bottoming it out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Geordie,

ACSI won't give you ideas, they will give you the maps to carry yours through.

Overhang, well the boat offers you passage, it's up to them to make it safe.

You can do.

So where do you fancy ? Let's work on The Plan.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Don't panic. It's easier than here. Just buy the ACSI discount book and the DVD and you'll find planning easy.

You'll be spoiled for choice !!

I see you have followed this excellent advice. Also try one or two of these, there are plenty of photos of some brilliant ones on here
http://www.frenchaires.com/

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Haway man geordie ye divin want to be scared aboot ganin abrood ye seem to be livin there anyhow

Once you have been you will probably love it, the aires in France are great for overnight stops, and most towns have a reasonably priced municiple site . It just depends on what you want to do .Go and explore and enjoy yourself .

Don`t take offence to my opening gambit

I thawt ye must a lived up north before yee amigrated sooth. :thumb::thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
hi there
owners club can be a good source of info and the club does foreign rally trips and is always nice to hear other owner's experiences to the same make of MH
try this link Link Removed
regards

OP
OP
GEORDIE

GEORDIE

Free Member
Oct 20, 2011
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
IM A NEEWBIE
Ha Ha Voyager. Yes Im a local lad , but served some of my army career down south.

Met the wife and that's where we stayed. Everyone calls me Geordie as apparently I have never lost my accent. Obviously haven't mastered the cockney twang yet. Bit late now I suppose but I will keep practising.

Im sure we will manage quite well but just got the old confidence knocked with the problems we had with the van that we rejected.

We do belong to the Dethleffs club all ready so will also look there.

We just thought it would of been nice to work round a plan, like we did when we were with the Motor Bike clubs. We would do our own thing for a week then onto a rally to meet up with others , then off again ,or rode home with them. A bit different as most of our stays were in B&B.

We shall keep our eyes and ears open just in case we strike lucky,:thumb:

Geordie

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Did our first abroad last year. Brittany in June, had a great time along the south coast. We found French campsites cheaper than here, especially with the ACSI Card. Stayed just outside Quimper, down to the Morbian Gulf (Gorgeous) which is great for casual cycling. Only learned German in school - still got by- even though I ordered a meal wrong!!!

Hi mdixon,
Just wondered if you have any suggestions on what to see & do in that part of brittany as we are going next sept. Terry:sin:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We did our first trip abroad with the van this year, even though we have been at it for 38 years. It was an absolute doddle and thoroughly enjoyable with it. Having travelled almost 4,000 miles in 6 weeks and visited countries as far away as Croatia you will be mesmorised by the scenery, friendliness (except perhaps with Germans from time to time). The ACSI, which you now have will save you a fortune.
We put our success of first time down to researching, planning, outlining our route, identifying our sites with full GPS then setting off then.... changing everything as you go around because you like.dislike a place, choose to stay longer/shorter, hear about exciting places not to be missed, etc, etc. Driving on the right is far better than on the left and there is far less traffic about too. The only mistake we made was booking a ferry back instead of leaving it open.
Have a great first time abroad.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
First time in campervan for me in June, brought Aires book ventured down to the loire and Brittany.................Del

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
leaving return ferry open

Interested to hear someone say they should have left their return ferry trip open as we are thinking of doing that next year. Plan (well not really plan) a trip towards southern France until it gets too hot probably turning around in the Toulouse area and thought it would be nice not to be forced to a particular date for catching the return ferry. Has anyone else done that and were there any difficulties in getting a ferry within 24 hours or so? June/early July time probably. Also am I right in thinking it doesn't cost a whole lot more booking two one way trips acros the channel?

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I agree with the comments on not booking a return ferry, I have done this several times and just find an internet connection a few days before I want to return then book on line. I have never had a problem with not being able to print the confirmation as the check in desks just go on the number plate. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
As for driving on the on the right and touring in other countries, no problem, easier than the UK. In France I use Aires most of the time otherwise ACSI sites.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Mike

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Interested to hear someone say they should have left their return ferry trip open as we are thinking of doing that next year. Plan (well not really plan) a trip towards southern France until it gets too hot probably turning around in the Toulouse area and thought it would be nice not to be forced to a particular date for catching the return ferry. Has anyone else done that and were there any difficulties in getting a ferry within 24 hours or so? June/early July time probably. Also am I right in thinking it doesn't cost a whole lot more booking two one way trips acros the channel?

Yes we always book one way . I'd much rather be free to book the return when we get back towards Calais than feel pressured to rush back for a specific date. Not had any problem booking return trip online (usually courtesy of Macdonald's so we factor in the cost of 2 frappes! ::bigsmile: - no burgers!)

It means your whole trip is not stressful worrying about how far you can go before having to set off for home. Also once you are 'heading home' that changes the mood a little, I think.
Wyn

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!

We always leave the return date open.If you get on line the night before and simply jot down the Booking Ref and hand in to them at check in we have never had a problem.It really does make a difference to be flexible, staying longer if the weather is good or even coming home earlier if it is particularly wet!:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back