Juddery take-off. What's the problem? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hi All

MoHo has been suffering a juddery take-off recently.

I wondered if my gentle driving style wasn't providing enough revs to pull away. I've tried giving it more beans as I let the clutch out; and I've tried giving it less; the juddering is still there, worse with more revs.

The best technique I've found is to give it give some revs as I release the clutch, then drop the revs once motion begins and let out the rest of the clutch and then up the revs again to get moving just as the clutch is fully engaged.

Once clutch is engaged there's no issues with any clutch slippage when I give the accelerator a poke.

Clutch replacement time?

Thanks

Jamie.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I notice your MH is a Machzone, so I presume its on the old Fiat 2.5 turbo diesel. If this is correct am going for engine mounts. There are 3 on this model that give problems and its normally the right hand top and the big round one on the bottom. Try to get someone to put it in gear whilst the bonnet is up and without running over you let the clutch out and see if there is any rock in the engine.
Engine mounts on this model are notoriously prone to going soft and Delfin Designs used to sell a heavy duty set, but I think they have gone out of business now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Might be worth checking the bell housing bolts that hold the gearbox to the engine are tight, if all the other easy suggestions fail it looks as if the clutch itself is worn or the damping springs in the centre plate are weak or broken.

dave e

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Had MoHo in at the garage last week - verdict is that it is probably wear on the clutch.

although they couldn't fault it. Certainly, oil seals look clear, and the engine mounts are solid.

Annoyingly, as I drove it over to them in the morning there was very little juddering, and although they detected slight clutch slippage, they advised it wasn't worth changing at the moment, and just down to the weight of the van and just to give it a bit more beans! I think it may be more likely that MoHo is pretty much empty for the winter, so less effort to get moving. I think if she was fully laden with water, food, clothes, bedding etc the effect might have been more pronounced.

So just keep an eye on it really i guess. We're off to Brighton on friday, then up to Leicester for the weekend, so we'll see how she does with a bit more payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Clutch release bearing problem possibly?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back