Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi folks,

So, we're out of gas and its time to go fill the Gaslow bottles, but how do I do it?

We have 2 large bottles and between them is a regulator type device which can be turned to switch from one bottle to the other.

Which position should this regulator be in when filling?

Does the gas balance out between the bottles?

Should the valves be open on the bottles?

Many thanks for any help to a newbie,

Cheers

Andy

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi folks,

So, we're out of gas and its time to go fill the Gaslow bottles, but how do I do it?

We have 2 large bottles and between them is a regulator type device which can be turned to switch from one bottle to the other.

Which position should this regulator be in when filling?does not matter:Smile:

Does the gas balance out between the bottles?yes:Smile:

Should the valves be open on the bottles?no! valves should be closed when filling:Smile:

Many thanks for any help to a newbie,

Cheers

Andy
see above:thumb:

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I always fill with the bottles turned off as you drive with them off .
So long sa the two bottles are conected to the filler they both fill together.
I dont know the system en the UK but here you connect thefiller then hold the button in till it stops.
You cant overfill.
I fitted Gaslow from the UK. Had no problem with them.
I Have now transfered them to my new Motorhome which can travel with the gas on.
So i never thought about filling up , I thinki will still turn them off tofill up

Hope this helps

Mel

Upvote 0
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
This just confirms what a great site this is . Our new motorhome is fitted with gaslow and this is one problem I was dreading, thanks all with your great advice and links. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And be totally amazed just how long it does take to fill. Like forever.

At the closest LPG garage to us the tank is quite some distance from the pump so you have to wait for the cashier to authorise the pump (can take a while at busy times) and then wait again for the gas to actually reach the pump. Well worth it for the saving though :Smile:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you have 2 11kg bottles you shouldn't get more than 44 litres in expect around 40 ish if they are both empty.

the secret with gaslow is every couple of weeks as you drive past the filling station just top em up provided you have used them of course

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Our first fill a few weeks ago, waited a short while near the pump till a Discovery came in to fuel up. Jumped out and asked If I could watch, the guy was very helpful and hung around to make sure I filled up correctly. :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first fill a few weeks ago, waited a short while near the pump till a Discovery came in to fuel up. Jumped out and asked If I could watch, the guy was very helpful and hung around to make sure I filled up correctly. :thumb::thumb:

I had to ask for help the very first time (just after the first Alugas cylinder was fitted) as the instructions on the machine were a bit unclear. Since then I tend to have the instructions provided by Dave Newell to hand.

Yesterday (for the first time ever) there was a member of staff on hand at our local station (just changed from Total to Shell). He fitted the gun to the filler point and made sure I was comfortable with the rest of the procedure.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just be prepared for the whoosh of gas as you disconnect. It's not that bad but will make you jump if you're not expecting it. ::bigsmile:

I have topped up my underslung tank up 4 times now and I still jump out of my skin when the "whoosh " happens !! getting to a pump on the left side with a big euro box is sometimes challenging so I think I pay a bit too much for the easy option on the motorway, much better than fetching bottles though:thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
First time filling in France I attached the right adaptor, connected the pump and lent on the button. After 10 minutes of nothing happening the attendant appeared and made plain to me that the button I was pressing was the emergency stop which he then unlocked with a key. Pressing the correct button made all the difference:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Broke my cherry today and had to ask for help.

There were barriers either side of the pumps which stopped the nozzle easily sitting in its holder, stopping both the pumps from working. The attendant manually held the triggers in the pumps to reset each of them.

Once that was overcome a relatively straightforward procedure although there was no one waiting so less hassle.

Now I have to work out which adaptor fits for which country (not today though)!

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
First time filling in France I attached the right adaptor, connected the pump and lent on the button. After 10 minutes of nothing happening the attendant appeared and made plain to me that the button I was pressing was the emergency stop which he then unlocked with a key. Pressing the correct button made all the difference:roflmto:

I did exactly the same thing down in the Algarve last year...

Not our fault... different layout on the pumps... :whatthe:

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
Just be prepared for the whoosh of gas as you disconnect. It's not that bad but will make you jump if you're not expecting it. ::bigsmile:

We just filled ours for the first time today - gave us a bit of a shock - :whatthe: - I hadn't read this post first.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm with Brian, takes what seems like ages, then I say to Pete after Were they empty? and he says no, only took 6L or something! :roflmto:

Actually - no I don't cos we're anal and record stuff like that ..... ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyPandy

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you all

Guys,

Thanks for all the help on this you have given me!

I was getting in a bit of a flap about this, but armed with hints n tips from you, I managed no bother.

We are now, once again, cooking on gas :)

Thanks again,

Andy

#motorhomefunrulesok

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back