Fitting a Thetford casette toilet (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Was rather taken with this, in spite of it's age, but it doesn't have a loo. Was wondering how difficult it is to fit a Thetford Casette toilet? I'm disabled and the thought of trying to manhandle the bottom half of a portapotti out of the MH is a bit depressing. I can cope with an outside dohicky, as I've got space to manovour (sp?)

Is this a daft idea?

Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looking at the pictures in the link you would probably have to completely re-model the bathroom area and fit a tip up sink type affair but as far as fitting a cassette type depending on which one you choose it can be as simple as 1 hole in the sidewall of the van and a few screws inside the van and a connection to water supply.

i would say that some of the self builders on here will be able to advise better.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just a hole in the wall, though quite a big one. The swivel bowl loo takes up a bit less space and is more flexibility about the fixing position than the bench type. You would probably need to change or modify the sink.
This van is 31 years old, though if properly maintained could still be very good. The soft furnishings may need replacement.
Check for damp!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at the photo of the wash room it seems to actually be quite large and the right hand side surface appears to be separate from the sink so I'd be tempted to just remove that section and put in a standard cassette type toilet, something like this one:

Link Removed

I'd then make the area under the sink into a storage cupboard.:thumb:

I actually like the furnishings - the OTT design is actually back in fashion nowadays! Not so sure about the wash room wallpaper though!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
TRADE SALE NO WARRANTY GIVEN OR IMPLIED, Buyers should satisfy themselves as to the condition and viability of internal fittings.
I have just been informed that this model i.e. 660 manufactured 1984/5/6 V5 states yor as 2003.

I HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN V5 WHICH STATES DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1981, apologies for any confusion.

That statement does not wash, he is most definately a motor trader and as such cannot sell without a warranty, wonder if he is VAT registered.................... tut tut

Buyer beware

Peter

OP
OP
Philcott
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thank you Peter - think I just might look elsewhere.:Smile:

TRADE SALE NO WARRANTY GIVEN OR IMPLIED, Buyers should satisfy themselves as to the condition and viability of internal fittings.
I have just been informed that this model i.e. 660 manufactured 1984/5/6 V5 states yor as 2003.

I HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN V5 WHICH STATES DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1981, apologies for any confusion.

That statement does not wash, he is most definately a motor trader and as such cannot sell without a warranty, wonder if he is VAT registered.................... tut tut

Buyer beware

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you go for it a swiveling loo costs around 350 ish and is about 12 to 14 ins wide.Easy to fit simply mark out hole drill on the edge then cut with a jig saw -- do not drill inthe middle as the piece you cut out is needed for the door ::bigsmile:-- a quick bit of pipe work teed off the taps and a bit of wiring job done :thumb:
Terry

OP
OP
Philcott
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
If you do decide to go for it, have a look at his feedback - 3 negatives around product not as described. Whatever you do, go and have a look at it before making a commitment.

Have not gone for it, am going to look at this instead - Link Removed

I know she's old, but finances don't permit what I'd really like, and quite frankly, rather an old one than nothing at all! ::bigsmile:

Thank you Terry for taking the time to tell me how to do it. I'm sure it will come in handy somewhere along the line!:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have not gone for it, am going to look at this instead - Link Removed

I know she's old, but finances don't permit what I'd really like, and quite frankly, rather an old one than nothing at all! ::bigsmile:

Thank you Terry for taking the time to tell me how to do it. I'm sure it will come in handy somewhere along the line!:winky:

Like it a lot.. FFB is good quality van .. maybe old but well built and should have tons of life left in it ..

Are you going to view.. ? Bit of a hike from Bury

OP
OP
Philcott
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
A three hour hike! But yes am going to view on Saturday afternoon. Do you think a fair price? I had thought a drop of about £250.00 as there is a 'best offer' button::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A three hour hike! But yes am going to view on Saturday afternoon. Do you think a fair price? I had thought a drop of about £250.00 as there is a 'best offer' button::bigsmile:

I was going to offer £5 k ... :roflmto:

yes, I think fair.. but as I mentioned on my 'trailer' thread, money is tight before Christmas, sales are depressed, so a good offer and he'll probably bite your hand off .. but only make it if your happy and after a really good and satisfactory inspection, no damp, etc .. you know the drill.. .. and a road test .. So I would go in low and bid up if need be..

good luck

OP
OP
Philcott
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've got Jim's 'how to buy' book and studied it very carefully from cover to cover!:roflmto:

Me, I only know how to kick tyres - so am taking son along with me in the hopes that when he sticks his head under the bonnet and crawls under the MH he will know what he is looking at!

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve with Santa coming to call during the night! Ridiculous at my age!:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forget the offers button, go look at it and IF OK then make the low offer like Jim says :thumb: then see what happens ::bigsmile:You can always up the offer or always find another van :Smile:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back