Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Already thinking of next year's travels. Fancy some easy cycling along parts of the Canal du Midi. Anyone know any aires along tht route?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi there!

I have been walking for 2 days with son along the canal from Toulouse to Villefranche de Lauragais and there is an aire every 20 kms or so. Not all are good though, but you should find quite a few. Also along the canal you will find water taps to refill bottles when cycling toilets and little snack-bars.
The canal is very popular in summer , not crowdy though but you won't be alone that's for sure.
I remember we have stopped in a very tiny campsite situated on the edge of the canal where most of the campers were permanent.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

http://titialberti.over-blog.com/article-sur-la-route-menant-au-canal-du-midi-51497076.html

Found this blog in the meantime ... get it translated by google , never mind the details of the translation you might have good infos... BTW I confirm that "Collonges le rouge "is a nice village to visit

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Thank you so much for your help. It was just what I wanted. Also your blog was very informative. I left it in French as I can read French much better than I speak it and sometimes the translations are a bit weird!

Another question as you are obviously very knowledgeable about the area. How would the temperature be in May or June? Being British we are not good in hot weather. We think we like it until it happens and then we start moaning. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well this is quite a hard question... weather nowadays is not what it used to be . This said , I don't think you'll have the very hot temperatures we have in July and August, but still it can be quite warm in June. May is more uncertain . You can't know really...it can be warm and dry or rainy and a tad cold. We used to say because of the rhymes: En Avril ne te découvre pas d'un fil, en Mai , fais ce qu'il te plait (In april don't take even a yarn off, in May do as you wish)... Unfortunatly not good anymore!

Hope this helps

Amicalement

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Thanks again Frankie.

I understand your comments. I wouldn't like to forecast our summer temperatures anymore. Would like to avoid the rain as we have enough of that in England particularly the last two years.

Would like to get in touch with you again nearer the time. We are not fond of large French towns but love pretty villages. Our motorhome is quite large so love being able to cycle (on the flat) to local pretty places without having to drive there. Or perhaps taking a train or bus. It looks as if you would know the area very well.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well this is quite a hard question... weather nowadays is not what it used to be . This said , I don't think you'll have the very hot temperatures we have in July and August, but still it can be quite warm in June. May is more uncertain . You can't know really...it can be warm and dry or rainy and a tad cold. We used to say because of the rhymes: [HI]En Avril ne te découvre pas d'un fil, en Mai , fais ce qu'il te plait (In april don't take even a yarn off, in May do as you wish)... [/HI]Unfortunatly not good anymore!

Hope this helps

Amicalement

Frankie,
Similar to a saying in UK "Ne'er cast a clout(coat) till may is out" The May referred to though is not the month of May but the May blossom that blloms in early June.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Frankie,
Similar to a saying in UK "Ne'er cast a clout(coat) till may is out" The May referred to though is not the month of May but the May blossom that blloms in early June.

Just to throw some more confusion into the saying, until recent years the May bloomed at the beginning of May (at least in Southern England) and was widely used in the celebrations of May day, now regrettably only celebrated in a few places, our county town of Lewes being one.
Possibly the lateness of the May is related to cooling as we enter an ice age, kept partly at bay by global warming.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ah, I remember it well. Wonderful experience. Best by boat I think.

Attachments

• I~000147.jpg
    I~000147.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 16
  • I~000160.jpg
    I~000160.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 16
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Thanks again Frankie.

I understand your comments. I wouldn't like to forecast our summer temperatures anymore. Would like to avoid the rain as we have enough of that in England particularly the last two years.

Would like to get in touch with you again nearer the time. We are not fond of large French towns but love pretty villages. Our motorhome is quite large so love being able to cycle (on the flat) to local pretty places without having to drive there. Or perhaps taking a train or bus. It looks as if you would know the area very well.

Well I know the area up to a certain point ...As I don't own a motorhome I don't know much about aires. Do keep in touch and if/when you have planned a particular tour , then as far as my region is involved let me know what your needs or queries are. I might go by car and find out what's nice , and let funsters know what I found. Once a month (or more ...or less:Blush:) I take out my best friend , who hasn''t a driving licence , and no money to have some good time out. I could take her around the place along the canal. It will be a nice way to please several people at the same time:Smile:

Amicalement

OH and thanks Norman and Reallyretired to have taught me the saying , nad given me details about seasons in England!:thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Thanks again Frankie. I will definitely get back in touch with you. Do you ever come to England? We have some very pretty places to visit - just can't guarantee non-stop sunshine although it happens sometimes.

regards

June

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back