Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I have just found THIS SITE that shows panoramic views of some aires.

Clearly it is an ongoing development, but it gives an interesting view on what the aire is like before you arrive.

Now found it in English Broken Link Removed

Shame it dosen't cover all of France

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Was mentioned in another thread Keith ,,.

the panoramic views are Google Street Views.., you can zoom into to most aires on Google maps and have a look in street view..

try it on our own French Aire map http://www.frenchaires.com/

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
the panoramic views are Google Street Views..

Strictly speaking they're not - many of them are taken from places where the Google car never went. Somebody's forked out for a 360 camera system and has made the effort to visit a lot of aires. Only problem is the level of distortion on the images which tends to push the background into the distance, and a fixation with service points - I'd prefer to see the emplacements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Strictly speaking they're not - many of them are taken from places where the Google car never went. Somebody's forked out for a 360 camera system and has made the effort to visit a lot of aires. Only problem is the level of distortion on the images which tends to push the background into the distance, and a fixation with service points - I'd prefer to see the emplacements.

I agree, many aires are not viewable from street view. I tried to get a peek at Ponte de L'Arche but it's nowhere near a street so Google street view was useless. I have often come across this when using Maps on Google when trying to find aires.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Strictly speaking they're not - many of them are taken from places where the Google car never went. Somebody's forked out for a 360 camera system and has made the effort to visit a lot of aires.

That being the case I stand corrected..

Google street view is still very useful , granted not all aires are covered ..

what threw me was the aire in Plougonvelin which I know well, but isn't listed.. .. but they have the one at the Intermarche in the town .. which is also on street view..

This is the one they list
http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/panoramique/finistere/29-plougonvelin/

This is the other aire on Google street view.. you can't see the emplacements in street view, but you can if you zoom out to satellite view

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Plougonvelin,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=48.337885,-4.707425&spn=0.001836,0.005284&sll=52.021576,1.4082&sspn=0.054402,0.169086&oq=plougonvelin&t=h&hnear=Plougonvelin,+Finist%C3%A8re,+Brittany,+France&z=18&layer=c&cbll=48.337885,-4.707425&panoid=Nl8tnCG1ygKJZZMj65_sXw&cbp=12,145.92,,0,0

EDIT

just found a picture of the aire proper..

DSC_4989.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back