LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I now have an Android tablet with GPS. I was looking at upgrading the maps on my Garmin but have seen an app for Android called Co-pilot which is cheaper than a new set of maps and even has an RV setting that selects main roads.

Has anyone got any experience of this app?

Thanks

Lunarman

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Lunar how's the golf going.

I haven't used one my self but when in France at Easter with Paul and Leanne from here, Paul had it on his iPhone and seemed to be ok. He would put his route in and I would put it in to my garmin also and routes where very similar I sure he will be along to let you know.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I have a paid for App Co-Pilot Live EU downloaded on to my Nexus - somewhat larger screen than an iPhone.

I have it set for "RV" but think it only affects calculation of ETA - does not affect route choice.

Used it for a trip to North Wales successfully - easy to read and hear. You should make sure your iPhone is on charge as it is quite a heavy battery user. Successfully downloaded POIs to it.

No experience yet of using it to France.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
As Gerry mentioned I have had Co-pilot on my iPhone now for some years. Used in France (data turned off). You can now just download the maps you need to save space e.g UK, France etc. Active traffic is useful in the UK and keeps you updated of delays on your route. There is a an RV setting, but it seems more so the device does not force you to U turn should you miss a turn and you can set route preferences for the various road categories. Has the usual features such as avoid tolls and ferries (Gerry :winky: :roflmto: ). Never had a major issue with it and have even worked out how to add bulk POI files for the iPhone (not jailbroken).

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I have been using copilot for about 4 years now, currently have copilot premium, use it pretty much every day and it hasnt let me down yet.

I like that you can add pois easily (tomtom) format, customise routing profiles and drag routes....lots of stuff to set it up how you want and wiki or gooe search for places from the app...and weather

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I now have an Android tablet with GPS. I was looking at upgrading the maps on my Garmin but have seen an app for Android called Co-pilot which is cheaper than a new set of maps and even has an RV setting that selects main roads.

Has anyone got any experience of this app?

Thanks

Lunarman

I've seen a lot of grumbles about Copilot Live on Android.

Try NavFree first. As it says, free.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
too be fair, a lot of the grumbles are with lower spec phones, you do need some power behind Copilot to make the most of it, if you havent then you need to configure it with less things going on...and reduce the PoIs etc etc

and also there are probabaly a lot of folk rooted/bespoke rom/ tweaked phones as well - plus a lot of phone-chair interface errors in my view:winky:

BUT ALK havent covered themseles with glory when they do a map update...they never have enough bandwidth to cope with the demand...but on the other hand they would have a job to do that anyway!!

Meant to say - NAVFREE is quite good - i have tried it, but has one key feature missing ifor my use and that is - cutoms POIs, last time i looked it couldnt do that and for me that is key as i have a lot of them!!

Last edited:

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
co pilot

No more probs than other sat navs. Absoloute delight to use on HTC sensation smart phone and boy have I had some fun on the continent configuring it to smaller roads etc and just going with it.
Just so handy having it on the phone too. No other gadget needed to clutter up the van.
One warning..... a motorhome has difficulty following the route if you set it to walking mode.....!!!!! The French farmer was really good though and helped me to turn round and gave me a free bottle of wine.
The amount of configuration allowed is impressive with a combination of vehicle preferences, alternative routes, road preferences and drag route options.
Go get it and have fun.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
No more probs than other sat navs. Absoloute delight to use on HTC sensation smart phone and boy have I had some fun on the continent configuring it to smaller roads etc and just going with it.
Just so handy having it on the phone too. No other gadget needed to clutter up the van.
One warning..... [HI]a motorhome has difficulty following the route if you set it to walking mode[/HI].....!!!!! The French farmer was really good though and helped me to turn round and gave me a free bottle of wine.
The amount of configuration allowed is impressive with a combination of vehicle preferences, alternative routes, road preferences and drag route options.
Go get it and have fun.

been there...:Blush: but i didnt end up in field:ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you can download co pilot for free onthe tablet :thumb: and it works well in UK -- only downside is the free one does not have voice commands which is no problem because SWMBO always wants me to mute the garmin anyway ::bigsmile::thumb:
terry

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The "walking" mode, is something most people forget about on whatever device they use. I remembered we had it, and it came in very handy in Amsterdam recently, try it sometine, you will find all the god places...and whats more, find your way back:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back