Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Done a search but cannot really find what I want.

Want to tow a bike, either a 1200GS or a Triumph Rocket, both about 260kg wet. I need a trailer and am looking either to get a a Brian James micro max with the centre filled and put the bike on a removable rack in the middle or something like the Phoenix Big 1 trailer which has the top filled.

Need a flat base as these are heavy bikes and want to reload safely.

Would also like a wide ramp to make it easy to get on.

BJT is braked and has the benefit of allowing a Smart car to be used as and when we may get one.

Phoenix is unbraked and lighter to manoeuvre and takes less space on a pitch.

Do I need brakes at that weight?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Phoenix Trailer

We recently purchased a Phoeniix Big Bike trailer, For a BMW 1200 LT approx 350kg.
Wide ramp to get on the trailer, checker plate floor, the front wheel lock will not hold the bike upright so you need to have straps etc prepared prior to rolling on to the trailer.
We used it to go to Cornwall recently and had no real problems in towing, the only issue is the practical aspect of moving the trailer & bike when you need to hand shift it on grass or a bit of a slope, I did ask Phoenix about caravan movers on the wheels but the chap had never heard of them before.
Overall quite pleased with the trailer.

regards

Arthur

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
We recently purchased a Phoeniix Big Bike trailer, For a BMW 1200 LT approx 350kg.
Wide ramp to get on the trailer, checker plate floor, the front wheel lock will not hold the bike upright so you need to have straps etc prepared prior to rolling on to the trailer.
We used it to go to Cornwall recently and had no real problems in towing, the only issue is the practical aspect of moving the trailer & bike when you need to hand shift it on grass or a bit of a slope, I did ask Phoenix about caravan movers on the wheels but the chap had never heard of them before.

regards

Arthur
Thanks Arthur. Had a couple of LT's fantastic bike and just sold one to get the rocket.

Is the loading ramp good and stable.. Guess it must be with that big bike on it..

Like the Phoenix but they are a long away away so cannot see one beforehand so good to hear feedback..

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Motor bike trailer

I have a Trailer Tek 3 bike trailer Link Removed I have removed the outer 2 wheel blocks and tow my Harley on it. Had it for some years now with no problems. You can tow a total weight of 750kg un-braked. I also use the it as a general trailer, as it is a flatbed.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
We have sold the TOAD and bought a box trailer for a new PCX and other bits and pieces. Although it is unbraked and only 750 Kg I have fitted a cheap motor mover - works wonders getting the trailer up 12 inches on short ramps from where we store it to the drive. Also works as a brake to stop it moving if we have to leave it on a slope!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
A concern I would have is that a trailer that is suitable for a Smart (780kg) may "bounce" on uneven roads when laden with a 260kg or so bike.

Others will have more experience than I and may be able to comment.

Steve

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp

regards

Arthur

Have looked at these online and for a change they are only about 30 miles from me. Concerned about the size and storage/moving when on a site though.

Steve

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Think the size at 12ft is ok and quite light without the bike. Guess it is a case of unloading and then moving.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is a one man band and he is a lovely chap... Def worth a fone call to speak to him :thumb:

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Looked at roro but the need the versatility of the bigger trailer. Want to put a box on it for storage etc.
Good idea though and looks well made

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Thanks Arthur. Had a couple of LT's fantastic bike and just sold one to get the rocket.

Is the loading ramp good and stable.. Guess it must be with that big bike on it..

Like the Phoenix but they are a long away away so cannot see one beforehand so good to hear feedback..

The ramp is the width of the trailer & there are 2 steadies you drop which stop the trailer tipping as you begin to assend the ramp.

It is housed in the Wiltshire area if you were near or wanted to look.

We were considering the Rocket but decided on the LT cos it had less chrome & more tupperware around it. The thought being that it would be easier to keep the machine clean.

Regards

Arthur

Peter Coleman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Armitage Trailers of Yorkshire (www.armitagetrailers.com) specialize in motorcycle trailers for all sizes of bikes. They also make special to orders for a nominal extra fee. They also do braked and unbraked single or twin wheel. Most importantly they have a filled in non slip floor and a full width ramp enabling you to ride your motorcycle on. They also have a front wheel locking mechanism for an extra few quid. I hope this is of some use to you

Regards

Pete

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Trailer

Hi
I have the trailer your looking for in mint condition .im new on here so don't know how to pm you can send you pics if you like

Mike

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi
I have the trailer your looking for in mint condition .im new on here so don't know how to pm you can send you pics if you like

Mike

Just click on the username of the person you want to send a message to, then `Send private Message`.

Which trailer do you have?

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well as they are supplied with a spare ( that rather cleverly is locked in place by the action of the lowering bar ) I do not think any extras are really needed.. well not for me anyway ..

All I did was take a number plate with me when I collected it, which the chap kindly drilled and bolted in place for me :Smile:

So far it has had the 1200gs on it for a trip of about 400 miles around, and a Blackbird on it for a few hundred miles.

Both loaded as easily as is demonstrated in the video, and I have been really pleased with it

Being 'in the game' I have had pretty much every type of trailer imaginable.. I sold my Erde Pro trailer to help fund this one, and I have been extremely pleased with the build quality and ease of use.
I think one of the big bonus's for me was the weight difference. The Erde pro weighed at least two and a half times this one, which when doing massive European runs makes a fairly big difference in fuel used

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well as they are supplied with a spare ( that rather cleverly is locked in place by the action of the lowering bar ) I do not think any extras are really needed.. well not for me anyway ..

All I did was take a number plate with me when I collected it, which the chap kindly drilled and bolted in place for me :Smile:

So far it has had the 1200gs on it for a trip of about 400 miles around, and a Blackbird on it for a few hundred miles.

Both loaded as easily as is demonstrated in the video, and I have been really pleased with it

Being 'in the game' I have had pretty much every type of trailer imaginable.. I sold my Erde Pro trailer to help fund this one, and I have been extremely pleased with the build quality and ease of use.
I think one of the big bonus's for me was the weight difference. The Erde pro weighed at least two and a half times this one, which when doing massive European runs makes a fairly big difference in fuel used

Thanks, spoke to Eric, he has made one before for a three wheeled scoot. Certainly seems to fit the bill for loading and storage, both on site and home. he says it breaks down into about 6 parts and after you have done it a few times can be put together in about 20 mins, should you want/need to dismantle it.

None of the photos seem to have the bikes strapped down, I am assuming you do have to strap it down and not just rely on the wheels being held. Is that the case?

Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have shifted a couple of smaller bikes without straps, but I am not willing to trust one of my pride and joys without them !! :winky:

I think 20 minutes is proly on the high side to be honest 10 to 15 minutes is more realistic :thumb:

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Well - job done. Just ordered a new Big Bike trailer from John ant Phoenix. Nice chap to deal with and knows his trailers - you would expect him to though I suppose!

Bit customised with infill floor and additional tie downs.

Looking forward to some sun in the summer to get that bike used now :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back