drive south or sale from portsmouth (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
wat is the best way to get to the winter sun with motor home i have driven to spiane it is a long drag and expensive in time and travel cost fuel so watt would you recommend and watt would the proximate cost off ferry crossings from south of england return and where to go when we get there

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Price wise I don't think there's anything in it now by the time you have fuel and tolls. Personally I am not a sailor, am a driver so take the long route. I like the drive through France.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Price wise I don't think there's anything in it now by the time you have fuel and tolls. Personally I am not a sailor, am a driver so take the long route. I like the drive through France.

I agree, time wise as well there may not be much saving.. Would rather spend hours in my van than sat on a rocking boat, got no issue with sailing and love rough sea's just would rather be on the road.
Just go on the websites and cost it up...

I guess if you have a really thirsty vehicle it may be viable....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Bill with anything but an RV the increase ferry charges from Portsmouth Poole or Plymouth are far more than the fuel cost. You don't need to incure tolls, there is always an alternative and usually parallel route that is far more interesting. It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive, why rush through a beautiful country like France that welcomes motorhomes to get to a country (Spain) thats seems to dislike them. You can save time at a price and thats all.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Every time I've costed it, the Dover-Calais ferry followed by driving south in 300 mile stages and stopping on Aires is always the cheapest option. The Parc Futuroscope Aire near Poitiers costs next to nothing if you arrive after 5pm and leave by 8am, and there's a number of Aires to choose from around Biarritz.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi Bill with anything but an RV the increase ferry charges from Portsmouth Poole or Plymouth are far more than the fuel cost. You don't need to incure tolls, there is always an alternative and usually parallel route that is far more interesting. It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive, why rush through a beautiful country like France that welcomes motorhomes to get to a country (Spain) thats seems to dislike them. You can save time at a price and thats all.

Hello Wildman just read the above, "to get to a country (Spain) that's seems to dislike them" could you explain please as I spend lots of the year with my MH in Spain and have not found that.

Bill, I find that if you are coming straight to Spain then the boat is the best, little if any difference in money but I find it is great to get on the boat have a drink, eat go to bed and in the morning "Bingo" Spain....orf you go!:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is of course one other thing to take into consideration...Having used the love boats whilst working and found I was cooped up in one of those broom cupboards they call a cabin or have to watch the drunken antics of all the stag and hen does that are on every crossing. I would much prefer a leisurely drive through France.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The crossings to Santander and Bilboa can be very rough anytime but especially in Winter.

As others have said - enjoy France on the way South

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hello Wildman just read the above, "to get to a country (Spain) that's seems to dislike them" could you explain please as I spend lots of the year with my MH in Spain and have not found that.

:thumb:

Motorhome crime is higher in Spain than France, wild camping around popular areas is banned in a lot of places, fewer places to fill up with LPG, A frames a no no, For a seasoned traveler who knows where to park I guess it is a doddle. However for the visitor, being told to move on by non English speaking police carrying guns is not a pleasant experience. Thefts from vehicles is on the increase and hardly a month goes by without a fresh report. Those who spend the winter on sites seem to do OK but speaking as a wild/off site camper it is not a country that welcomes motorhomes the way France does. A beautiful country of that no doubt but sorry not for me anymore.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Bill
Good and bad both ways, off at Bilboa/ Satander over night (watch some sailings they are 2 nights no good) your in Spain and head south we normally go to La Manga early doors not bad weather, or Benidorm for entertainment, Dover/Callie done that drive down through France lovely country but there can be snow, friends of ours have been caught in Dec and others in Feb, so a long way if the weathers bad, next year we are Portsmouth / Santander out in Feb & back Callie/Dover July, so a good round trip, either way enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
We paid £871 return outside cabin for 2 (with code) Porstmouth - Bilboa returning via Santander. You also then need to add the cost of diesel driving to the sun. We live 20 minutes drive from Portsmouth so its perfect for us.

Taking into account ferry costs, diesel, tolls etc I calculated it is about £150-£200 cheaper to drive. Add 4 extra days driving in total.

Horses for courses.

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
I did a comparrison with a friend of mine, He went via Santander and we went via Callaise. Suprisingly it was only £20 difference in cost, (this included campsite fees, diesel and tolls). The big difference of course is the wear and tear on the vehicle, the difference being about 750 miles.
I have to say that the journey through France is always a bit special.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Did the Plymouth/Santander trip once and wouldn't rush to do it again! Mrs Johnstey felt queesy for the whole time and paced around the highest possible deck all day and night whilst I looked after our son in a stuffy cabin somewhere in the bowels of the ship.All this nonsense you get fed about it being 'part of the holiday' is b*sh*t in my opinion! Now we drive every time.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There are so many free aires in FRance you can deduct that cost, and also avoid tolls so the saving then becomes significant. As to the 4 days well thats all part of the fun surely the travel and different places, if you just want to lie in the sun all day a sun bed is cheaper, hee hee
Having said all that £2-300 is nothing to some people, nothing at all.

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I'm booked one way from Portsmouth to Bilbao next Sunday @ £564.00 one way.

Mind you I am pulling a caravan behind my PVC, which is why I'm not going via Calais.

I wouldn't be able to use Aires with the van on the back so decided on the Pompey/Bilbao route and to hell with the cost.

Pete:Cool:

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Re

For me Portsmouth to Le Havre then avoid the toll roads, plenty of very good roads with stunning views along the route, Use the Motor home for what its designed for, stopping at the French Aires and enjoy the drive through France.
Drive at at steady speed and keep the mpg down.

Last year I drove back from Marbella area back to Le Havre via Madrid through Bordeaux or round it, up to the Normandy beaches, paid about 20 euros for the whole trip. :Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We did the "Run For The Sun" a couple of years ago before we moved out here to Tenerife..we crossed Dover- Calais..we had 3 nights on Aires..total cost for the Aires was 11 Euros 60 cents..Now that's value..OK so we had to pay for diesel..not that expensive if you fill up at the supermarkets..and there is no need to use the Peage..use the N Routes..
We costed it and found the drive across France worked out the cheapest..You get to see lots of France on the way down..in my mind it is a better option...we did 3 nights on Aires (Buchy...Mery sur Cher Allessac)..then at Alet les Baines campsite we stayed a couple of nights washed the van and did all our admin..then we crossed the border at La Jonquera..yep we'd definately do it all again..

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Not much in it costwise-with weather this time of year have decided to do Portsmouth -Santander next Tues (the Pont Aven is a better ship than the Finisterre to Bilbao) We use Club Voyager and have a 4berth cabin so that we have a bit of space and don't have to use a 'top bunk'
Coming back Mid March we'll drive through France to Calais and hopefully have signs of spring on the way.::bigsmile:

Mike

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
driving south

If time is not a problem, drive avoiding the motorways and enjoy the scenery. The tolls would
Total over 100 euros each way.

If time is limited and you need to take the quickest route ferry vs road costwise is six of one and half a dozen of the other::bigsmile:

When i came back on the ferry, no one told me how rough, and i really mean rough the crossing is. I'm glad i had a cabin but the pillow smelt!
They wrapped cling film round the shelves in the shops to stop the stuff falling off the shelves, and i got sea sick tabs from the info desk.
The waiter was walking from side right side and stuff was falling onto the floor in the kitchen,
Just like the movies:Eeek:

Good luck with your decision :thumb:

S:Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Summer 2011 we took the Portsmouth to Santander ferry and then took the toll road straight across Spain to the Med. Not cheap at all but unforgettable. You drive through the Rioja region and some stunning scenery.

Probably wont do it again but glad I did it once.

If I had plenty of time though I would drive down through France.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
As my wife is the worst sea passenger in the world we do a fast run for the sun.
I know people say take your time and enjoy France but we still work and and have a 2 month window in January and February when we close our business.
For this reason I like to get to the sun as quickly as possible.
Last year we took the N roads south. Eurotunnel crossing eraly morning and then overnighted on a service area just before Bordeaux, then a run to Benidorm next day.
Coming back I ran Peage all the way. Very easy drive and the tolls came to 150 euros from Albir to Calais. Total driving time was around 20 hours.
Each person has their own reason for their route.
Just remember that if you take the ferry you still have a drive right across Spain to get to the Med.
:thumb::thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
driving south

Must agree with treacle , avoided the main roads and the views on the drive through north Spain to Santander were the best ever ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I used to overwinter in Benidorm, I was often asked how long did it take to drive there. The reply was always the same....anything between 2 days and 4 weeks, depending on the weather on route, and the food on route.
Am a foodie and always like to find new eateries in France and have been known to stay a few days to recover from a good feast :winky:
The photo below was on a 3 day feast, day 2.

Attachments

• Morocco 043.jpg
    Morocco 043.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 53

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Personally, I would drive - the adventure starts the moment you shut the front door!

Whilst driving, you meet all manner of people, and it is part of the whole experience. There is no time limit or race, go as far a day as you wish, stay a few days around a nice area then travel some more. Go and have some fun!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
There are so many free aires in FRance you can deduct that cost, and also avoid tolls so the saving then becomes significant. As to the 4 days well thats all part of the fun surely the travel and different places, if you just want to lie in the sun all day a sun bed is cheaper, hee hee
Having said all that £2-300 is nothing to some people, nothing at all.
0nly thing is she is petrol but not much difrance now but dont know how much mpg yet ?:thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

wer gowing to go to moneco then drive down to benadorm we only got month then back for a while to pack up house
befor gowing full time

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Not much in it costwise-with weather this time of year have decided to do Portsmouth -Santander next Tues (the Pont Aven is a better ship than the Finisterre to Bilbao) We use Club Voyager and have a 4berth cabin so that we have a bit of space and don't have to use a 'top bunk'
Coming back Mid March we'll drive through France to Calais and hopefully have signs of spring on the way.::bigsmile:

Mike

Coming back Mid March !! What a couple of lightweights !! You'll miss the lovely Sun !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nfa

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ferry!

We took the ferry, Plymouth to Santander, October 2011, after costing and decided it would be cheaper and preferable to driving thru France in November. We found sunshine in Santander, the crossing was good and the drive thru Northern Spain, exploring the lovely fishing villages before getting to Portugal and the Algarve - was much more preferable than cold, wet days spent driving in France.
We drove back thru France in March/April 2012 and returned on the Roscoff ferry to Plymouth.
Personally - we found Spain and Portugal more accomodating regarding wild camping than France :Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I'm booked one way from Portsmouth to Bilbao next Sunday[/HI] @ £564.00 one way.

Mind you I am pulling a caravan behind my PVC, which is why I'm not going via Calais.

I wouldn't be able to use Aires with the van on the back so decided on the Pompey/Bilbao route and to hell with the cost.

Pete:Cool:

Weather is going to be hell in the next 48 hrs, good luck..Griff :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back