Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Have decided that I can no longer put up with the standard fit Autotrail radio losing signal and constantly seeking channels. Not sure if this is the radio or aerial but would like to replace with a double DIN unit which would also give a better image from the reversing camera.

Has anyone fitted a double DIN unit into the Ducato and if so is it a relatively
easy job? Also any advice for upgrading the aerial would be gratefully received.

Kevin

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A friend has the same problem.......:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with Peter.

depending on the base model variant and year it may have had a roof aerial.

obviously removed to fit the overcab bulge and the coax just cut off.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Just sorted mine on the boxer its been doing my head in. I ordered a combined FM/DAB aerial from DAB on wheels with the intention of mounting on the roof and threading cables through, this was gunna be a night mare.

On the Boxer both sides below the screen is a small GRP panel, I looked at the nearside which is secured by two screws. Drilled a 12mm hole and stuck tin foil to the unseen side for a ground plane screwed aerial in bonded foil to chassis, ran cables through bonnet release grommet

A near perfect reception

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
The only answer is an external aerial. Like Dubiousp, I did not want to drill any metal bodywork so I too drilled the nearside plastic triangular part, but connected the aerial to the bolt above the headlight via an earth strap. The original aerial did not work nor did the swift replacement one.

Vic

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The only answer is an external aerial. Like Dubiousp, I did not want to drill any metal bodywork so I too drilled the nearside plastic triangular part, but connected the aerial to the bolt above the headlight via an earth strap. The original aerial did not work nor did the swift replacement one.

Vic
Vic would you mind expanding that answer.......I have my 2009 autotrail radio
vut Im concerned that its part of the DVD television setup which work ok with the drop down 15 inch screen and I dont want to cock those bits up.

My solution is to carry a portable DAB radio with me while I drive.....works ok but Id like to get the origianal radio to work too.

barry

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Barry,

I asume (always a mistake) that the radio part of the centre unit has a traditional aerial socket. If it has then my fix should work for you too. The aerial I used was a cheap non-amplified one to see if it was successful before splashing out and fitting an amplified FM & DAB and a DAB radio unit.
As the part I drilled was plastic, the aerial would not have worked. There are two options here, either build up the underside of the plastic panel with foil/metal plate or as I did, fit an earthing wire between the panel and the base of the aerial, the part that would have normally be against the inside of the wing. The other end of the wire needs to be earth on the van's body. I used the top bolt that holds the headlight after making sure there was bare metal to bare metal contact. The aerial lead was then fed through into the cab via the a stamped hole in the front bulkhead, I used where the steering would go on a left hand drive version.
This fix worked in picking the chosen channels in the UK, something that the two left hand pod versions did not. I have also tried an amplified disc aerial which did not work for me either.
In France I could also pick local channels when travelling as I prefer the radio to CDs even though my French is very poor.
I would have replaced the aerial as stated, but I replaced the van instead, a Bailey 740 which incidently has an external aerial fitted as standard.
Good luck and lets us know how you got on.

Vic

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I have the same problem with my autotrail (mercedes chassis), I was going to drill the bodywork, but I bought one of those 12v powered ariel's, used the glove box lamp for the positive and the negative from one of the sun visor's bolt hole. It does take a few minutes for the internal capacitor time to charge but after that the radio seems to work a hell of a lot better and saves drilling the bodywork.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Its the aerial !
Swift have the same problem with their Ducato cabs. Sent back in 3 times to be fixed with a modification and never improved.
I drilled a hole in the wing and fitted a stumpy outside aerial. Job done and now good reception.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
While visiting the Auto-Trail factory we were told that the aerial on the Fiat Ducato is in the nearside mirror and costs over £300 to replace.
I don't know what age vans this goes back to, but it is apparently fitted to all of the new ones.
So make sure you protect those mirrors ::bigsmile:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Interesting nine never made it to the wing mirror a little bit of aerial cable heading that way

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Finally had enough with intermittent radio signal when the engines running, so I fitted an external ariel and still the same perfect when engine off but shite when engine running. I have tried an old stereo that I had in the loft and its still the same so it has to be the vehicle.

I have looked to see if i need t fit a suppressor but the fault doesnt seem to fit a suppressor problem.

retired2

Free Member
Mar 7, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2007
I recently bought an Autotrail Najavo, 2010 model, and was very disappointed with the radio reception. It has the £1000 Entertainment pack. When the engine was off the radio was fine, but as soon as it was started it became very poor and on the move it kept searching and was useless.
The last owner had daytime running lights fitted. Very bright lights fitted where the front foglamps could go. While researching the radio problem on the net I came across an American motorcycle website that mentioned that if they switched on their running lights they lost radio reception. I located the fuse for my DRLights and removed it. The radio is now very good on the move locally where it was useless before. I am looking forward to a longer run to test it but am feeling confident that interference from the electronic box for the lights, located under the bonnet, near to the run of the aerial from door mirror to radio, was the cause of the problem. I hope this may be useful for others in the same situation.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have a status ariel on ours I think it mentioned some thing about fm in manual and to pull out extenders on top unit
Can I wire that into cab radio
Forgive my ignorance if wrong

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I too had poor reception particularly on AM on my 2009 Boxer which has a stumpy external aerial fitted on the wing.

I changed the radio/cd to another with built in DVD etc not particularly because of this problem. That improved reception compared to the original Blaupunkt supplied new with the van, but it was still not brilliant on AM.

So I now just use the free "Tunein" radio app on my phone, and connect it to the aux input on the stereo. Crystal clear AM and FM channels from all over the country wherever we go.

No need to change anything. drill, run wires etc buy antenna, boosters, etc etc.....!:thumb::thumb:,

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back