Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Seeing as my van is parked at the side of the house I think it's about time I fitted an external power point.The plan is to put one of the tube style heaters in on a timer when we get cold spells.
Are these the kind of things I need?

Broken Link Removed

Under the section mains connectors I assume ill need the waterproof socket,is it the waterproof connector or coupler that goes into it?
Thanks Vlad .

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yes that's what I would get and I think its the waterproof connecter you need:thumb: all seems pretty cheap as well:winky:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
its the socet you need, then make up a short lead to power the van:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we plug ours in inside the garage just got a convertor to normal 3 pin for the hook up lead we often use it get the fridge cold before a trip as well
Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
we plug ours in inside the garage just got a convertor to normal 3 pin for the hook up lead we often use it get the fridge cold before a trip as well
Link Removed

Same as me, same as number one son, same as son-in-law :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Initially I installed an outdoor waterproof socket similar to the one Rob shows but then found that the connection on the short adapter lead to the main EHU lead wasn't waterproof. As a result I then fitted a commando socket similar to the one mentioned in the OP and that works fine with the EHU lead plugged directly into it.

By coincidence, Aldi have a . as one of their specials at the moment.

Whichever you do make sure it is protected by an RCD. I think that legislation now requires any permanent installation to be fitted by a qualified electrician - which is why the Aldi (and similar) kits come with a plug-in RCD so that an amateur can fit the socket and then plug into an existing internal socket.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This is the one on that site, but needs the special waterproof plug to go with it. If you have to make up a special lead anyway it would be better to put in an ordinary 3 pin waterproof socket which you can then use for lawn mower/pressure washer/ whathaveyou as well.:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the advice thus far,I had looked at the waterproof 3pin sockets but when the plug is in the waterproof flap is up ,this is ok for short jobs in the garden but not suited to long term usage,or is it?
Assuming we get a prolonged cold snap I would have the van plugged in for possibly a week or more,so would want a watertight connection.At the moment I run a lead from the outside store round the house over the fence to van just want to a more suited fix.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We have a water feature plugged into just such a socket, been working for about 7 years without problems ::bigsmile:
The van is plugged into a normal 240 v plug in the garage via the eBay type lead :winky:
Terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
presumably you mean this one

Broken Link Removed

thats all you need outdoors but put a little silicon mastic around the socket when you fix it to the wall, just plug in your normal hookup lead or make up a short version of the same lead.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the advice thus far,I had looked at the waterproof 3pin sockets but when the plug is in the waterproof flap is up ,this is ok for short jobs in the garden but not suited to long term usage,or is it?
Assuming we get a prolonged cold snap I would have the van plugged in for possibly a week or more,so would want a watertight connection.At the moment I run a lead from the outside store round the house over the fence to van just want to a more suited fix.
think about your normal van hookup point, that may be connected for a week or even more in all weathers.

the 'sleeve within a sleeve' design of the plug and socket makes it very weatherproof when in use.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes pappa join I realise that,it's the traditional plug socket my doubts are with.You don't see many of them at campsites.When I said 3pin I was referring to the traditional waterproof socket mentioned by others.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes pappa join I realise that,it's the traditional plug socket my doubts are with.You don't see many of them at campsites.When I said 3pin I was referring to the traditional waterproof socket mentioned by others.
My mistake.....I assumed you meant the 'blue' plug type sockets.

look on ebay etc for IP66 rated outdoor sockets.

IP66 is dust and powerful water-jet proof and will be more waterproof than you'll ever need at home whether in use or not.

they generally use a standard 3 pin plug and the enclosure and lid is the waterproof part

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Pappajohn just looked at an Ip66 unit and I can see it being dust and water jet proof whilst flap is closed,however when in use flap is up therefore connection vulnerable .Good for short term use whilst dry not well suited for leaving van on hookup in all weathers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn just looked at an Ip66 unit and I can see it being dust and water jet proof whilst flap is closed,however when in use flap is up therefore connection vulnerable .Good for short term use whilst dry not well suited for leaving van on hookup in all weathers.
You misunderstand.

the lid is closed at all time except when actually plugging in or unplugging.

the plug flex protrudes from the small hole at the bottom of the casing, which has a rubber seal, and the cover closes over the plug to ensure a water tight seal all round.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for clearing that one up for me I see how it works now .I can see the advantage of buying one with an rcd ,drilling a hole through the wall and plugging into an existing socket .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for clearing that one up for me I see how it works now .I can see the advantage of buying one with an rcd ,drilling a hole through the wall and plugging into an existing socket .
your existing house ring main will probably be protected by an RCD device anyway...simple to check, if the fuse box has 'push to test' type breakers or an RCD main switch.....if it does then no need to buy an RCD version.

if it has MCB (non testable) trips or fusewire type fuses (how old ? :Eeek:) and a basic on/off main switch then buy an RCD version.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Fit one of these to your outside wall. the simple self fit is to dill through your wall close to an internal socket, pass the cable through the wall fit a 13 amp standard plug and you can then simply plug into your inside socket.

the lid of this will close with the 13 amp plug plugged in, you will also be able to use it for oiher equipment.
If you dont already have them , get one each of these
Link Removed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-CARAVA...9719?pt=UK_Cables_Hookups&hash=item19c33b0df7
you can use the UK type to then plug into your new outside socket, and the euro type you will definateley need when you venture abroad next year.
regards
Steve:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back