Fitting a cable reversing camera C class (1 Viewer)

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Advice on the cable running and camera mounting on my Flash 03 please :Smile: the Vega system I have is powered just at the monitor which I am powering from the radio live. I scares me to think of drilling holes ......thanks Kim.

Will be on pitch 245 at Waldegraves Holiday & Leisure Park 23rd and 24th see you there

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I fitted the rear view camera to the high level brake light, which I believe is similar to ours (Swift).By removing the lens I fed the cables through the existing
hole for the brake light cable (no drilling) the self tapped the camera to the underside of the brake light housing. After that I'm lost how you route it, I was lucky as wall cabinets are on the rear and sides, so routed through those:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Thanks for that i will have a look in a min , today I am insulating and soundproofing the doors of the transit.....should keep me out in the sunshine for a while :Cool: Kim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I mounted two cams, one for reversing the other as a rear view.
I ran the cables through the habitation, but if i was doing the job again I would run the cabling outside attached to the chassis members.

I fixed an extra spar to the top of the bike rack and mounted the two cams there and ran the cable through the enlarged hole for the high level brake light.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Well I had a look at entry through high level brake light ...means removing interior trim above top bunk, and route through van . Or white conduit the cable down, to go underside and come up into cab ??? I think I might have to farm this job out Kim :Sad:

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if you have a bike rack stand the wife on that when you reverse and she can knock on the van when you are in place make sure you tie her on though in case of sudden jolts

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Already tried that ...she could not see behind when she was hanging on like a Garfield :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have two cameras on the back of mine.. Just drilled holes through the body, stuck rubber grommets in with sikoflex, passed the wires through and again sealed with more sikoflex.
Cables are run inside to a split screen monitor on the dash

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well I had a look at entry through high level brake light ...means removing interior trim above top bunk, and route through van . Or white conduit the cable down, to go underside and come up into cab ??? I think I might have to farm this job out Kim :Sad:

We had a Chausson Flash 04 (2010) and I attached the camera to the bottom of the high level brake light casing, with the cables going up in the small cut out in the bottom of the casing itself, I had to drill a hole in to the inside of the van as the one with the brake light cable in wasn't big enough and I didn't want to risk damaging them by trying to make it larger. The new cables (power and video) were fed in through a rubber grommet with was then sealed into the hole and the cables led along the back of the upper cupboards (above the rear bed) to the corner where there was already a piece of 'clip-on' conduit which took the cables down into the garage, I then drilled a hole for them to go out of the garage floor (well sealed!) and under the van. Hubby then attached the cables to the chassis members and brought them up into the rear of the cab behind the driver's seat where there was already a grommet in the floor. He then fed the cables along the side of the driver's seat under the plastic mouldings and up to the dash, the power cable was then fed along to the power source (a 12v socket in a small lidded storage area in front of the steering wheel). A second power lead was fed from the 12v socket to where the video feed was and then both were fed up along the windscreen pillar, across the cab roof moulding and down to the rear-view mirror where we had a monitor. As we hadn't installed it as a permanent fixture, hubby used a double 12v socket adaptor for the power for the camera and monitor which he plugged into the single socket and when he wanted to use it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Scary though........Well I have done all the other mods Iset out to do this week, time to bite the bullet and have a go.............:Eeek:
Thanks to all for your advice
Thanks Kim

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Scary though........Well I have done all the other mods Iset out to do this week, time to bite the bullet and have a go.............:Eeek:
Thanks to all for your advice
Thanks Kim

This might sound idiotic but then as I am a sekf confessed idiot I have an excuse.
Try the camera out before you fix it in permanently - I am sure the camera will work - but try placing the screen where you would like it to be and make sure you can see the picture clearly.

I bought a lovely dash cam with external camera for reversing. When I tried looking in the screen the picture was too small for me to see. In a car it would have been fine but in my mh the dashboard is too far away for me to see the screen clearly.
So have reverted to wife waving furiously at me outside the mh or scrambling on the bed and guiding me from inside the mh. Should and could have saved myself £50.......................... anyone want to buy a dash cam (new never used)

Norman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Thanks for your thoughts.

The kit I have bought is all powered by one cable ,and the power supply is to the 7 inch monitor,that also powers the camera. I have taken the feed from the switched radio power to run the system.
I will tryout this morning positioning as you suggested, before drilling any holes. The more dry runs, the less "If, I ever did this job again....."

When I eventually sell this , someone will have a totally sorted motorhome..and I will have had all the fun of saving them the trouble :RollEyes:

Kim

Upvote 0

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I think the critical factor for a self installation, if you are not used to dismantle and reassembly methods is :- Is your bathroom on the same side of the van as you habitation door.
If it is then you have a relatively simple job making your way inside cupboards and threading through with that old fashioned plastic covered net curtain wire that you can bind your wire to, to thread it behind things. If you have the bathroom and the door on different sides, the bathroom side is a no no and the door frame can add complexity. It all depends on how invisible you want the wiring to be.
We have a two camera system with the interior mirror monitor. I have a switch to turn the cameras on and as it is not ignition controlled I can turn it on and check anytime who is moving round at the rear of the van when we are parked up or on the move.

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Thanks for your thoughts.

The kit I have bought is all powered by one cable ,and the power supply is to the 7 inch monitor,that also powers the camera. I have taken the feed from the switched radio power to run the system.
I will tryout this morning positioning as you suggested, before drilling any holes. The more dry runs, the less "If, I ever did this job again....."

When I eventually sell this , someone will have a totally sorted motorhome..and I will have had all the fun of saving them the trouble :RollEyes:

Kim
Hi Kim
I had a Welcome 76, I fitted a camera under the high level brake light, I don't know the design of the back of your MH, but mine had a removable panel going across the top of the MH, which housed the brake light ,on removal I fastened the camera under the bottom edge, I drilled an hole through the top left hand corner to gain access to the shower room, from there I drilled and passed it through the wall cupboards and wardrobe until I got to the front, I then fed it round the over cab area and down to the fitted rear view mirror (no rear view ,no rear window lol) I picked up a feed from the cab interior light for the screen & ran a separate power source to the camera controlled by a toggle switch mounted on the side of the interior light , I found the camera was on 24/7 and would have drained the battery , the screen turned of with the ignition but left the camera on so I altered it has above , the screen I fixed to the mirror and it all worked well, just take your time and seal any exterior holes you have to make , you will be fine. Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Well Got in there today, temporarily wired up the monitor ,screwed in the camera ....great picture full color and good resolution width of view great.

Then without unrolling the 20mt extension cable, connected it up and....no picture just fuzz.
Went to back amazon ,and had explained to me (yes I could just understand the accent) that as I had bought a third party product ,amazon would not send a replacement just send it back and get a refund.
Blast, had taken the rear inside trim panel off ,but thankfully had not yet drilled.
Contacted the guy in Ramsgate BROKEN LINK

And did a deal with him over the phone with me selecting the one 4 pin lead system,saves running second power sources 12/24v with a rear view mirror 7inch monitor...he said he will try it all out in the shop before sending. Very helpful ,tell him what you are looking for and he will quote .
Next attempt Thursday ,with luck will be able to show it off at Mersea Island sat .....:winky:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just a silly suggestion but may suit you better can you not position the camera looking out of a rear window???? then you have no holes to drill.

i was lucky with my motorhome as it has a plastic moulding on the rear which is hollow so i just ran the cable down the inside of that and under the van along the chassis then in through the back of the dash.
same with the cabling for the solar panel.

alternatively the white D shaped conduit does not look out of place on a motorhome as it is similar to the corner mouldings fitted by the manufacturers i have a piece of this at the side of my fridge vents taking the tv aerial cable on to the roof from the external tv point.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flashkim

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
just a silly suggestion but may suit you better can you not position the camera looking out of a rear window???? then you have no holes to drill.

i was lucky with my motorhome as it has a plastic moulding on the rear which is hollow so i just ran the cable down the inside of that and under the van along the chassis then in through the back of the dash.
same with the cabling for the solar panel.

alternatively the white D shaped conduit does not look out of place on a motorhome as it is similar to the corner mouldings fitted by the manufacturers i have a piece of this at the side of my fridge vents taking the tv aerial cable on to the roof from the external tv point.

Thanks for that I do have a top bunk window , but it has a fly and blind fixed in tight. Thank you for the thought though Kim :Smile: Solar panel fitting .....Mmmm

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back