Would you like to own a campsite? (1 Viewer)

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Driving back down the A1 today, I was doing my usual, spotting areas I fancy for a campsite. Sometimes when doing this, I see land that is very nice, or very practical, or has some other benefit, but I always end up shrugging my shoulders and muttering "maybe if i win the lottery".
Today however, with a longer than usual drive, my mind went into overtime.
OK, maybe I could,nt afford a campsite, but 100 people could !
My thoughts then went in this direction. I have not done any "pricing" of land etc,and i know that land would only be worth having with the relevant planning permissions, BUT, if say 100 people invested £1000 (numbers are VERY flexible) and enough capital was raised, they could each buy a pitch that formed a campsite. Similar to static caravan owners, the pitches could then be let, when the owners did,nt use them as little or as much as they wanted.
I did think that this may suit some of the people who spent the winter abroad particularly, but as long as the site was in a good position in the country, it could be usefull to many.
There are probably a million reasons why this couldnt be done, but in an ideal world, a campsite owned by its members, used by them and others would be a sort of Nirvana.::bigsmile:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We must be of a very similar mind. I to would like your idea but this is the UK and not very motorhome friendly. If you lived in France or Spain no problems but we have awkward planners and objectional campsite organisations who would not like competition.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work but to set up would probably be a legal minefield as our sue culture would have a great time.
If I see some land I will let you know but if you get this off the ground PM me. I think Scotland is slowly realising the worth of motorhomes so that could be a good starting point.
Wilf

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
There are probably a million reasons why this couldnt be done, but in an ideal world, a campsite owned by its members, used by them and others would be a sort of Nirvana.

Isn't that what the CC and the C&CC do?

I do like the idea of a single site owned by it's members, though.

Pete:Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry but it will never work. If you apply for planning permission and get it before making the purchase, then the price WILL rise or land become unavailable.
If you buy the land and don't obtain planning permission, and I assure you it is one of the most difficalt things to get planning for the you have spent your cash and have a white elephant.
If you buy land and get a motorhome club to licence it for 5 vans, you will Never in your lifetime get the cost of the land back whilst you own it.
The best bet is for 5 mates to buy a piece of land and fit it out as a cl with one pitch each to do with as they wish. Remember you can only occupy the site for a max of 28 days mind you if you set up 2 sites then 10 people could fulltime by swapping sites once every 28 days, hee hee.
Ah well why not just go to France where you don't need a site anyway.
PS I have a site so do know what is required etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I did think of existing sites, but there are a few problems with that. 1) many sites will be laden with debt and the price will be a "settlement figure" and bear no relation to worth. 2) if the site is succsessfull, it probably would,nt be advertised for sale, or be overpriced..some of the sites in your link have very little information with them, certainly not enough to purchse a business.people
I see where wildman is coming from, BUT, planning decisions are regularly overturned if there is merit, local councils can sometimes just be a stubling block you have to go though to get to the govt. Dont forget, the govt is promoting holidaying in the UK, and supposedly supporting small businesses and endeavours.

The last place i would buy land, is Spain, they do not have a very good track record over there, and people have been know to lose their life savings.
In the UK, we more or less understand the law, or how to get it interpreted, we sort of know a bit about planning consents (as per replies) and how to get help, so it would be more comfortable for people.
I really would like peoples input o this, it may come to something, or it may just stop me dreaming, either way its a good thing::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
would the building of a new camp site be to expensive?, how many trades do we have on here ,if these people were owners then job done, build it yourself,it only becomes expensive when you have to pay the labour costs ,materials bought @ trade prices , but i would also say maybe more feasible abroad not in the uk ,if i was a investor ,no way would i invest in a site here ,
remember its not always what you know most times its the people you know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I agree with uk bill I work in the construction industry and drive all sorts of plant equipment ,the bulk of the infrastructure ie road in hard standings ,drainage services would be a relative doddle.The main thing would be location .

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
There are probably a million reasons why this couldnt be done, but in an ideal world, a campsite owned by its members, used by them and others would be a sort of Nirvana.

Isn't that what the CC and the C&CC do?

I do like the idea of a single site owned by it's members, though.

Pete:Cool:
Don't get started on the CC & C&CC or the site will be buzzing. They make the hair on my balding head stand up.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This one looks like a good deal. campsite with free pub thrown in.

Link Removed

£50K

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never mind. just noticed it was a lease so £18K a year extra :Doh:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just talked to my motorhome friend and the problem of buying land and obtaining ALL consents, services etc sorted.
Once the land is found we just follow these instructions:
1. Send in men with white vans and tarmac laying machines to make roads.
2. More men in white vans to tap into neighbouring electric/water services.
3. Now the easy part, just drive in, park up, plug into free mains and bingo
we have our field and cannot be moved without years of expensive legal fighting by the
landowner or councils.
By the way if anyone ask's we are travellers.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Spooky that.. I was just about to post that if the travellers can build a camp site in a week I am sure others can !!

Put my name down for a grand.. i would be up for it as a punt

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Just talked to my motorhome friend and the problem of buying land and obtaining ALL consents, services etc sorted.
Once the land is found we just follow these instructions:
1. Send in men with white vans and tarmac laying machines to make roads.
2. More men in white vans to tap into neighbouring electric/water services.
3. Now the easy part, just drive in, park up, plug into free mains and bingo
we have our field and cannot be moved without years of expensive legal fighting by the
landowner or councils.
By the way if anyone ask's we are travellers.

mmmmmmmm i think i will repaint my van from white to maybe blue

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We must be of a very similar mind. I to would like your idea but this is the UK and not very motorhome friendly. If you lived in France or Spain no problems but we have awkward planners and objectional campsite organisations who would not like competition.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work but to set up would probably be a legal minefield as our sue culture would have a great time.
If I see some land I will let you know but if you get this off the ground PM me. I think Scotland is slowly realising the worth of motorhomes so that could be a good starting point.
Wilf

I'm with Wilf but its a minefield:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The idea hs been voiced many many times a good few on here me thinks
Put me down for one of the work free £1000 shares along with 95% of the others:Doh:

You are forming a 1000 strong committee it will not get of the ground,

was it not a committee that was asked to build a Horse and came up with a Camel:ROFLMAO:

Ps and I'm a positive thinker who's glass is always half full good help you with the pessimists you get on board:winky:

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Nope, I'm forming nothing:Smile:, I too am a glass half full type, but i dont just notice that its half full, I MAKE it half full, big difference.
At the moment, I am merely asking for advice and thoughts from motorhome owners, having done all three types of camping, I see MH owners as a wholly different kettle of fish.
IF I got the bit between my teeth, I would seek advice from people on here with the relevant skills in the first place, and then outside help for the legal stuff. The one thing I would always be concious of, is that people would rightly be wary of a scheme involving money, suggested by someone they have never met , from Essex:ROFLMAO:, there are two people on here, who if anything ever got past the thinking and talking stage (and i doubt they will), would be invited to take the reins.
Everything that ever happens, happens because someone wanted it to, and change is made by people, not accident, so at the moment, its still worth chatting about.:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
you never know what the future holds and i for 1 think so long as it wasn't in the uk it would be a good idea even if you doubled the outlay £1000 for land and same for the starting costs it could be done it would take forever to see any return on your cash but you would have a place forever yours to pitch on and a permanent place for the meets lol
100 pitches at say £10 per night even if the profit was only half at £5 fully booked thats 500 quid is it now sounding better ??

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If there was a place to have a site I would suggest France - within an hour of Calais - to start and end journeys into Europe...............or for a weekend away

How many posts are there on here asking for somewhere close to Calais?

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Nope, I'm forming nothing:Smile:, I too am a glass half full type, but i dont just notice that its half full, I MAKE it half full, big difference.
At the moment, I am merely asking for advice and thoughts from motorhome owners, having done all three types of camping, I see MH owners as a wholly different kettle of fish.
IF I got the bit between my teeth, I would seek advice from people on here with the relevant skills in the first place, and then outside help for the legal stuff. The one thing I would always be concious of, is that people would rightly be wary of a scheme involving money, suggested by someone they have never met , from Essex:ROFLMAO:, there are two people on here, who if anything ever got past the thinking and talking stage (and i doubt they will), would be invited to take the reins.
Everything that ever happens, happens because someone wanted it to, and change is made by people, not accident, so at the moment, its still worth chatting about.:thumb:

I bet when you posted your thought you never immagimed that after two days of comments we would eventually be of the opinion you were actually going to build a campsite, that's life.
Thanks for a stimulating post, and by the way I will make all your signs FREE.

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
I would be in for £1000 if in France. I am afraid I would never even think about something like that in the UK
Maggie

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just how many members visit France? I for one have never been over the water with our van and have little or no interest in doing so at this time :Smile:To get 100 people to agree is a big undertaking in itself- how many people do we offer free advice to on here and how many are willing to pay a tenner ? Let alone 1000 £ ?
Depending on the location you can stick my name and a few hours Labour in the hat ::bigsmile: Doubt it going that far but one never knows
:winky:
Only a suggestion but what about looking at ready made sites which nearly all come with house's on, looking at selling the house separate leaving a ready made site that then may well be in the budget ?
That would require a bit of homework identify the cost of site less cost of sale of house
Terry

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
An interesting proposition, but as has been said not one for the UK: the chances of setting up a new campsite other than a CL there would be remote - think NIMBY!

In Spain - never! This idea has been tried by one group (of whom we are members) and after ten years there is still no permission to construct the site - the local council has put many obstacles in the way. Having said that, we hope that the final permission will come through in the next few months, when shares (one pitch per share) will be available for around £25,000 each.

In France - possible, as we have done it, albeit for a 25-pitch site. Fortunately we picked a site in a commune where the local Maire was totally cooperative, and we had no difficulty getting the necessary permissions. But the idea of £1,000 from 100 members is way too low, I'm afraid. To findand buy the land for, and then design and construct, a 100+ pitch site would be a major operation, and the costs for the one in Spain that we know about total way over the 1M Euros mark for a site of about 140 pitches. As an example, even for our small site we had a bill of 14,000 Euros for bringing a three-phase supply onto the site so that we could provide a 16A supply, and then there are the costs of installing the EHU points around the site.:cry:

You would have to have a star rating before you open (quinquennial inspections for this), and there are annual inspections/certificates of power outlets/equipment, water supplies (checking for legionella etc). You would also need regular income for the many other calls on the funds. Electricity bills are high - in France any commercial venture (which this would be) has to contribute to local lighting and other such items, and there are annual accounts, and we have not even touched on who runs and maintains it!:Doh:

No, I'm not a prophet of doom, and would be very happy to provide help and advice to anyone on setting up a site, buying one, or buying a pitch on the one in Spain, so PM me if you have any queries.:thumb:::bigsmile:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

You want this to succeed right:thumb:
Rule no one
Take the reins and make it happen and it will, but there can only be one idea you decide where when and how much then offer the plan out to folk
Or ask a 1000 interested parties for there 1000 ideas and that is what it will remain a 1000 ideas Sorry but please point be back to this post when im proved wrong
And for that reason Im out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

good luck:thumb:
Geo

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
What an interesting post ! As a campsite owner Good Luck :thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i understand a large amount of people don't leave these shores for Europe but i would also imagine more do than don't as for a ready made site with a property on it that would start pushing the price way out of the budget that was suggested and like as been stated this is a maybe thread or a what if as for those who don't pay their tenners then they aint invited lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You want this to succeed right:thumb:
Rule no one
Take the reins and make it happen and it will, but there can only be one idea you decide where when and how much then offer the plan out to folk
Or ask a 1000 interested parties for there 1000 ideas and that is what it will remain a 1000 ideas Sorry but please point be back to this post when im proved wrong
And for that reason Im out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

good luck:thumb:
Geo

Totally agree..

now let's suppose you already have a 3 - 4 acre field.. that's roughly enough space for 90 to 120 pitches at a density of 30 per acre .. the recommended maximum ..

You install access roads, hard standing, water and sewage + EHU points .. you do a lot of work yourself with friends .. but still spend £100k .. I know, not a lot but bear with me..

so.. do you 'sell' each plot for £1k which only gives you back £100k .. or let them out at £20 per night with say 30% occupancy which gives you an annual gross income of £220k .. what do you choose to do.. ?
No brainer really .. no point in selling an asset when it can reap more leasing it..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
i understand a large amount of people don't leave these shores for Europe but i would also imagine more do than don't as for a ready made site with a property on it that would start pushing the price way out of the budget that was suggested and like as been stated this is a maybe thread or a what if as for those who don't pay their tenners then they aint invited lol

THE thinking behind The Idea on sites with houses attached is you would need to look at the value of the property with and without the site--I have seen some around where they have quite large 600/700 k houses and a caravan park with them,but only asking 600 /700k for the lot-You may find someone who wants the house without the comitment to the park :Smile: that is where the homework comesinto it,find a nice park in nice area that has a nice house that may well be worth almost as much on it's own
Indeed last year I seriously looked at a property that came with a ready made CL with showers and leccy etc,for what in my mind was a giveaway price simply because it was listed as a resteraunt,B/B 5 double en suite bedrooms and nobody wanted the B/B resteraunt buisness.Again this was because of where it was,but if you looked at the house on it's own it was a bargain :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back