when did you start motorhoming (1 Viewer)

when did you start motorhoming

• Total voters

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think I was about 24/25 when I bought my first camper. It was a Standard Atlas with a Devon conversion. Red and white with a pop top. The engine was petrol and the same engine as the early Triumph Herald, less than 1000cc. Lost count of how many have had since as have had lots of breaks away from the illness.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I started in 1967 with a minivan that had a matress and stove in the back, first purpose built jobbie was a bluebird highwayman built on a commer in the early 70's. That was followed by a succesion of self builds we are now on van number 13 or 14 I've lost count.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I started back in 1969 by hiring and borrowing, then built ( of sorts) my first on an old commer mini bus in 1978, now on my 8th probably my last (financially wise) but never say never again. If we change again it would have to be one with a garage (for storage) 4 berths as now we have 2 v.young grandchildren,low profile,4 seat belted seats,good english cooker, but I dont thing I would go new again.
Terry:sin:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Our family business is building van conversions, caravanettes they were known as then (70's) and we also had a fleet of around 10 hire vans , at the end of the season me ,my brother and sisters did manage to get the oldies to takes us for a few camping holidays cornwall ,Devon, Isle of Wight etc, later on (80's) when I had passed my test me and a mate used to head off in one of the free vans now and then for a week or two touring Cornwall for some reason we tended to always end up in the Newquay area hell we had just found a place with all day opening bars, a rare thing in those days. Another few years went by first wife came along, again annual holiday was back down to Cornwall in a camper. then a lapse of quite a few years. Then with the now second wife we decided to buy first a tent then later our first caravan had a few years holidaying in that then went full time November 2006 bought a bigger caravan and stuck with that for around 5 years, then decided to build a camper for us so back to the motorhomes now since April this year. So basicly I've been involved with caravanettes,motorhomes whatever you want to call them for most of my life and certainly all my working life

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
In my thirties I had VW campers so I'm classing that as motorhoming. :thumb:

Also had caravans and tents (still have one actually, but SWMBO doesn't "do" canvas). This time around we have a "proper" MH and have just passed our first year marker. ::bigsmile:

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
I had my first vw split sceen camper in 1979 and had a few after that, the one in my avatar is a dutch van i bought in spain 1981/82 had a bed and a few bits the awning was a piece of blue cloth clipped to the roof with jump lead clamps and tied to the nearest tree ,happy days

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
2002, we bought a park home and the residents were horrible so we bought a MH to get away from them most weekends,we arranged to buy( on impulse) a van conversion at the carmarthen showground, went in with a ford fiesta, done the deal and bought the MH, the week we picked up the van conversion the park home sold!!!! yipee,by then we had the bug and have enjoyed it ever since.
I used to camp in a tent first with friends (1969) then (1972) with my first husband and kids and then progressed to a caravan(1977)
Lived in one for a while (1996)when we went to the IOW to live so have had lots of experience living in a tin box and canvas.
Tez had never even camped before he met me, now he loves motorhoming.

Last edited:

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Does military exercise count?

If you count my first conversion an army GS Bedford (anybody can rough it on exercise :ROFLMAO:) then I have been doing it since my 20's other than that my 40's

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
brought ex GPO van stuck mattress in back with portable cooking stove, then progressed to VW popup with port a loo wife not impressed, so went onto purchase from garage, a Ford travel home which turned out to be stolen, cost extra to purchase from insurance company. then onto early Hymer 534 model , have now 1995 Hymer with all needs being met.

nice to read other experiences

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
1) Volkswagen Split Screen camper.

2) Ford Transit CI Wayfarer Pop Top (solid sides) Camper.

3) Transit Based coach built (with the rounded, fibre glass roofed) over cab bed.

4) Mercedes (406D based) custom built motorhome bought from a British Power boat racing champion.

5) Mercedes (206D fwd) Bariban Autobahn motorhome. (How I wish I never sold that little beauty.)

6) Iveco 60-10 ex motor cross van... I self converted... the most comfortable van of the lot.

7) Iveco Turbo Daily, long wheel based, full high top, self converted... ongoing project...:winky:

8) 1987 Hymer 660. Sheer (old fashioned) CLASS. :ROFLMAO:

Numbers 7 and 8 are still with me and used every day...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
30 odd yrs ago bought a vw camper but never camped in it,used it for travel to and from work -like a rv on fuel and a slug on speed- got rid after 6 weeks :thumb:::bigsmile: then did a 5 yr stint shopfitting all over UK buying a bed settee and throwng it in the back of a tranny-comfiest bed ever-Then borrowed sons camper(he bought it and no one would insure him at 20)for a 4 day festival and got the bug in 2001::bigsmile:Thought SWMBO would never like it but :winky: I just do as I am told ::bigsmile:
terry

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We bought our first proper m/h off ebay in 2004, Auto Sleeper Duetto & got a great deal. Before that it was a case of chucking a mattress and bbq into the back of a company van for a weekend away ... great times:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We bought our first proper m/h off ebay in 2004, Auto Sleeper Duetto & got a great deal. Before that it was a case of chucking a mattress and bbq into the back of a company van for a weekend away ... great times:thumb:

so you canremember :roflmto:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Had my first VW split screen camper in 1977, had VW's since, splits, bays,T25, and T4s and now got a RV and still got a T4 which I must sell.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Bought our first MH in 2004 then sold our house & headed up Narf and found our new home in Scotland.
Than found our way South to the Iberian Peninsular in winter of 2005, and never spent a winter in Scotland since. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :Cool:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
1990, traded our Mazda 323 car for a Mazda Panel Van, E2000 petrol. I was a keen windsurfer at that time so made a simple conversion to start with just so the boards were racked and we could sleep in the back. Really caught the bug so planned a tour of Europe, my job meant that we could travel for two whole months. Spent two weeks upgrading the back, complete with electric hookup and fridge plus a big double bed. The kit went on the roof. What a trip, got as far as Morroco, ferry from Tarifa. Happy days...::bigsmile:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

started back in the late 1978, with a poptop ford trannie, up graded to 270 elldis, then we back into fostering. and splashed out on a brand new 400 elldis in 1990. we have still got it.:thumb::thumb:

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
2008 on holiday in Spain, got talking to a young french couple with 3 small kids, said he was doing Europe in his late father's camper as he had done many times as a lad.
I never had that kind of opportunity, but decided it was a fantastic thing to do, came home bought our First van a 2007 Compass Avantgarde, chopped that in 2011 for a CI Carioca 6 beds and now we have 3 young grandsons 6,4,& 1 we cant wait for them to experience the same kind of things that we have seen and done since we started, the 2 eldest absolutely love it, we have been to France, the Isle of Wight and many places in the UK they get out and have a whale of a time, sometimes they don't want to come home!! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back