broke down in germany (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
when we broke down in germany the Rv was put on a low loader and taken away we had to remove all our belongins and try to take as much as we could because you cannot stay with your motorhome it goes to a compound while the paperwork gets sorted out and you go home it was sad to see her go.
Paul:cry:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
There's nothing worse than breaking down anywhere.....let alone abroad! :Sad:

What happened Paul, and what was the outcome?

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Lin
The motorhome got back to westcrofts it took about two weeks there was no damage apart from a broken wheel trim and the propshaft removed so at some stage it was towed but that may have been at westcrofts yard
Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear that you came home before your RV (Shades of BA missing Luggage stories here!) BUT why did your RV come home by itself?

Was it an engine failure, or transmission or what?

Can we do anything to protect ourselves from whatever problem you had?

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear that you came home before your RV (Shades of BA missing Luggage stories here!) BUT why did your RV come home by itself?

Was it an engine failure, or transmission or what?

Can we do anything to protect ourselves from whatever problem you had?

Hi moandick
It was engine failure and the Rv was 6 months old 3000 mile on the clock and the ford dealers in germany or france had no info on the 6ltr Td engine says a lot for fords bumper to bumper cover when the fault was found it was a seal in one of the heads not put in right when the engine was built, stopping the head getting up to pressure and the computer would not let it fire, the guys at westcrofts found the problem by spending hours and getting special tools from the states to by pass one head at a time, they got a big book and you follow it page by page till you find the fault great guys them westcroft mechs shame its all gone.

You cannot travel with your Rv it goes off on a low loader with a german lorry pulling it,and is relayed accross europe you have to leave all the documents log book not copies some thing to do with customs,
Paul

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Paul

Thanks for that - you see we are full-timers and we simply could not 'empty' the RV - what would we do with the two cats, for example - let alone our entire life's bits and bobs!

The engine is a different matter - lucky you got as far as you did really - did it just start mis-firing or what made you suspicious to start with?

D

dakar4x4

Deleted User
Sorry to read about your breakdown, which reminds me, could I have some advice about the best recovery/breakdown option for the UK and Europe, I'm a member of the RAC but they state 3.5 tons & 7.6m as the max for assistance.
I've heard about RAC's "Arrival" but have not joined the CCC as yet.

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Paul

Thanks for that - you see we are full-timers and we simply could not 'empty' the RV - what would we do with the two cats, for example - let alone our entire life's bits and bobs!

The engine is a different matter - lucky you got as far as you did really - did it just start mis-firing or what made you suspicious to start with?

We pulled up and filled up with diesel turned the key and nothing, I think it was the first good run the engine had, 300 miles at about 65-70 none stop on clear roads and it must have ilighted the fault, I broke down in a Chevy a few years ago and any local garage in france would help, this problem was the computer overides would not let the engine start new tec ay
Paul

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Oh, how I remember that feeling of absolute dispair when I turned the key in our brand new monaco cayman and nothing happened - that was the day after we bought it - but at least we were on site At Severn Gorge Park in Telford and it didn't take long for the mechanic to come and fit a new immobilser.

To have it happen in the middle of Germany - and then to have to leave the RV for others to look after - must have been an absolute nightmare - my sympathies are with you.

Many thanks for your experiences though, Something else to store away in the 'Book of Life' for future reference.

tedday

Free Member
May 10, 2008
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
1 year
Sorry to read about your breakdown, which reminds me, could I have some advice about the best recovery/breakdown option for the UK and Europe, I'm a member of the RAC but they state 3.5 tons & 7.6m as the max for assistance.

Don`t know about the 7.6m rule. We were towed to UK from Belgium by RAC with a 28' Gulfstream last year:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....the Rv was 6 months old 3000 mile on the clock and the ford dealers in germany or france had no info on the 6ltr Td engine says a lot for fords bumper to bumper cover.....
My camper is a Ford. Brake master cylinder packed up coming off the autobahn near Dachau last year. Limped to a campsite where i called my breakdown recovery (Europ Assist) who got me booked in at a Ford main agent in Dachau itself. Recovery truck picked it up and i stopped overnight in an Hotel, all paid for by my breakdown.

Received a phone call at noon the following day informing me that a new cylinder had been fitted, van road tested and now ready to collect.

I couldn't fault the service and efficiency of either (just try finding any main agent that starts work at 0730hrs in the uk!).

Of course, Ford Transits are common as muck throughout uk and europe......and that does help! No need to import 'special tools' or 'big books' from the states.....just a set of spanners and a mechanic with basic general knowledge.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Broke down @ New Years meet @ Dirty Duck Grantham (brake calliper seals went losing all my brake fluid):cry:

Sureteam Direct insurance were excellent
and in the end organised a firm thaat cost them £100 an hour (minimum on my reckoning was 12 hours) £1200:whatthe::Eeek:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Broke down @ New Years meet @ Dirty Duck Grantham (brake calliper seals went losing all my brake fluid):cry:
Loss of braking is pretty scary in any vehicle John.
When my master cylinder packed up i was in very heavy late afternoon traffic on an autobahn with no idea where the next exit was.....not the most ideal place to have this experience! I managed to limp off using handbrake and gears whilst upsetting a few irate german truckers.

I would never want to repeat that again!!

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
To have it happen in the middle of Germany - and then to have to leave the RV for others to look after - must have been an absolute nightmare - my sympathies are with you.

I have not yet bought my MH, when I do I anticipate lots of journeys across Germany and mostly alone, so breaking down is something I view with horror. You have my sympathies too.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have not yet bought my MH, when I do I anticipate lots of journeys across Germany and mostly alone, so breaking down is something I view with horror. You have my sympathies too.
I'm also a 'solo traveller' Losos and believe me no matter how much you prepare, it will generally be something you hadn't counted on!

I had a spare fanbelt, clutch cable, bulbs, even a pair of rear lenses (prone to getting smacked on Transits!).....but who would think to carry around a spare master cylinder?!! Cost me £300 inc labour, but what maddened me most was if it had happened here at home, i could easily have got a second hand one from a breakers yard for £10 - £15 and fitted the damn thing myself. On a Transit its probably one of the most accessible and easiest jobs to do!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

Hi, -join CCC! we were in it wheh our 10m RV broke down. OK it was in this country but were recoverd from Bolton to Whitehaven at no cost (except tip for driver) .
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I'm also a 'solo traveller' Losos and believe me no matter how much you prepare, it will generally be something you hadn't counted on!

Yes, life is like that :Smile: at least we have mobile phones and Europe wide breakdown insurance. When we were first married we had neither.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back