Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Funsters

I have been visiting Motorhome dealers over the last few days, to check out a few new models and see what is available used.
I saw a Hobby Toskana 750 advertised and took quite a liking to it, even saw an older 2005 model for £18000. So I thought one of the dealers near where I live must have a Hobby Motorhome for sale but talking to a main dealer (near Brighton) I was told that they didn't stock Hobbys because they are popular with Travellers and get stolen more than other vans.
Now I don't think that I am very gullible and the reason I was told this was because they just didn't have any Hobbys or haven't had any Hobbys for some time.
Would he have said the same if he didn't have a Burstner or Knaus, possibly!!
I must say that with other dealers I have visited, none have had any Hobby models either. I'm leaning more to think that this is because they are good models and people are so happy with them that they want to keep them.

However as always ask the experts, thats you Funsters, because to get a true reflection of Hobby ask the people who use them. Would you agree?

I went to the NEC show recently and spoke to people there about Hobbys and the general opinion was they are good well made German Motorhomes.
I know that its all relative, there are always the odd model that has problems with any make.

Thanks in advance for your opinions
Gary

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
IMO this applies more to Hobby caravans than motorhomes ... :thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi if you want a Hobby come and talk to us as we can obtain them, we also have Pilotes

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Yes they are well made, yes they are popular with travellers, yes they get stolen and yes even funsters driving a Hobby have been turned away from some caravan sites.
Having said all that I'm sure all of the above applies to a number of other vans as well. (Even if Hobby is most well known of the bunch), hee hee.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have had my Hobby for just over a year and I am really pleased with it, the quality, fittings and the build seem good to me, it was just over a year when I bought it and the previous owner told me it had never been back to a dealer since new.
I have had 2 breakages (1) a shower rail hook (2) sink tap.
Its well insulated, I have heating on whilst travelling Oh and beds are comfy too, have not put toppers on them !!
Would I buy another errrrr thats a yes from me

Dave

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think you find the advice given you was correct, it has been known for Hobby caravans to be refused admission to some sites as they are a favorite of the travelers, so forewarned is forearmed

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I think the bad name comes from the travelling community using Hobby Caravans which are pretty noticable, anything about the motorhomes may be just a rumour without basis, made no differnec to my insurance having a Hobby.
At the end of the day Hobby's look similar to any other motorhome:thumb:

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Gary. I have a Toskana 750 and overall am very pleased with it. The layout is the best I've seen in any van (for my needs anyway) - storage is exceptionally good. Had a few teething problems - serial water leaks from plumbing being the main one but dealer sorted them out as they arose. Touchwood it's been fine since then.

It's the only tag axle van I found that has a normal Ducato van windscreen - no worries about getting it replaced as it's a standard Autoglass item rather than a special import from Germany as previous van (A-class) would have been. :Eeek:

Interior is a bit bling for my liking but I have found ways to tone it down somewhat. :Smile: Build quality is quite good for a modern van tho' I still rate my ex-van (2005 Burstner) better in that area. However IMO even Burstner quality has dropped in their later vans.

Think the 'travellers' comment refers more to caravans than motorhomes. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hobby caravans are popular with travelers, but don't think travelers are that interested in ANY motorhome for their own use:RollEyes:
Looking at a certain other motorhome forums stolen database, it looks like VW's are possibly the most stolen motorhome, just like you I would take anything a dealer told me with a pinch of salt:winky:

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
You will see lots of travellers in France with Hobby and Fendt caravans. They are popular with them because they are wider than most caravans.:Smile:

Upvote 0

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
We have a Hobby and would buy another one in the future. :Smile:

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hobby your opinions?

Have owned our 1999 Hobby 750 since it was 3 years old. Love it and find it just about perfect. We have looked to change regularly over the years but have found nothing to compare but as people say everyone has a reason for buying the van they do. We wanted a van to spend whole winters in with a bed, kitchen and lounge area all in a low profile. We have looked at the newer vans in the Hobby range but feel like other makes the finish is not as solid.

I think the layouts of all the vans from the traveling stables are well laid out and finished because they are designed from experience. ( Hobby was started by a traveling family )

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As already stated, the theft aspect is more to do with caravans. Travellers don't really do motorhomes as there is alot of 'wasted' space (cab area) for living in - thus they go for caravans. More living space per sqaure foot as it were.

Hobby's do have a reputation due to this - I am surprised that motorhome owners are being turned away - more to do with an over-reaction on the owners part that anything else. If you are a club member, you register your vehicle with them, so you shouldn't get turned away from their sites - and if you do, get onto them and ask them to verify who you are with the site owner. I know sites that have allowed travellers passing through to stay, and they had taken the shower room fittings with them, so you can uinderstand their reluctant stance, but with proof of your address, they should be fine.

As regards to build quality - they are very good indeed, and usually winterised. This does of course mean heavier, so check the weight plates.

Dethleffs are of a similar quality, so that may be worth a look - only they don't have the reputation of hobby, and have a different floor construction which doesn't suffer with distortion. Again, good quality means weight.

Upvote 0

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi,Gazza i have had my toscana now for 6 mnths and i absolutly love it this is my 4th m/h:Blush: in 4yrs and i cant see me parting with it its by far the roomiest and most comfortable by far.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Yes they are well made, yes they are popular with travellers, yes they get stolen and yes even funsters driving a Hobby have been turned away from some caravan sites.
Having said all that I'm sure all of the above applies to a number of other vans as well. (Even if Hobby is most well known of the bunch), hee hee.

I think you find the advice given you was correct, it has been known for Hobby caravans to be refused admission to some sites as they are a favorite of the travelers, so forewarned is forearmed

I would like to see the evidence for this. There was an article recently in the CC magazine (well maybe as much as 18 months ago) and some discussion on another well known forum.
There was no evidence to suggest either 1) Hobby Motorhomes were EVER being turned away from sites because they were Hobby Motorhomes. There was a turnaway due to the fact it was a TAG axle and others then reported that they too had been turned away from the same site based on a TAG AXLE not because it was a hobby.
I have never heard of a funster saying he was turned away because he had a hobby motorhome? I stand to be corrected if you could highlight the post for me.
Personally if it were me I would happily turn around any way.

2) as for being more prone to being stolen? again as already said, that generally refers to the Hobby Caravans, having a bit of time on my hand, I have ficticiously? just got a quote for my new Nobby that Im not changing too. £30 cheaper than my Bessie :roflmto: so obviously not being too many stolen

I love these rumours that spring up, 1 peson gets turned away and all of a sudden all hobys are not allowed on a site. :roflmto: this only means one thing. The price of them falls :thumb:

This then puts me in to prime position, I really would love a Hobby, I wanted one when we changed the van last year but unfortunately they do not do the 750 with an overcab bed. Having kids that very occasionally come with us we still needed that bed. However, next time round we were after Maz's van :RollEyes: but it would appear that Hobby are no longer doing twin axle vans which would therefore make them two short for my lifestyle.

IMO for the OP they are a top quality MH for a fraction of what you would pay for others, as they are not A class. They can be pretty basic though compared to a brit van with no cooker and as Maz says a little "Blingy" but personally I love them

Incidently they were selling new Hobby's (but built in 2010) at the NEC for amazingly low prices, 52k for a brand new unused van. Sold like hotcakes, :thumb:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Paul, in another life we had caravans for years (30) and have friends that still have them, one bought a hobby loves it but has been refused admission to camp sites.

Also in a previous life I used to do a lot of work for travellers who had houses and caravans and the reason some of them did not buy Hobby's was because they were a give away that they were travellers, and made getting on a site more difficult.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
:Smile:
Paul, in another life we had caravans for years (30) and have friends that still have them, one bought a hobby loves it but has been refused admission to camp sites.

Also in a previous life I used to do a lot of work for travellers who had houses and caravans and the reason some of them did not buy Hobby's was because they were a give away that they were travellers, and made getting on a site more difficult.

Yes Carol, but you are talking about Caravans not motorhomes,

Also you are not talking recent history. :thumb:

Also other than Hobby caravans being slightly wider, do you know why travellers choose them?
because they can spot quality a mile away :Smile:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But Paul, it was only two years ago that my friend was turned away with the caravan, even so they have just bought another Hobby because of the quality.:Smile: I realise it is different with motorhomes, but if you get turned away with one at least you know why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
But Paul, it was only two years ago that my friend was turned away with the caravan, even so they have just bought another Hobby because of the quality.:Smile: I realise it is different with motorhomes, but if you get turned away with one at least you know why.

Hi Carol, don't want to sound pedantic, But I believe the OP was asking about Hobby Motorhomes, He has now been told that he may be turned away from a site with one. Yet no one has offered evidence to show thats true. You are refering to caravans, not motorhomes? I don't get the connection? :Blush:

I know people that have been turned away from sites because they have used a transit to tow in the motorhome.

Im waiting for evidence to suggest a Hobby Motorohome has been turned away from a CC site, or indeed any site. The CC and the CCC say it doesn't happen :Smile:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
:Eeek: Argh here we go again another urban myth to add this to the list with gassing etc etc.

Hobby is a great quality motorhome if you like the layout and its in your budget buy it, don't take any notice of the gloom and doom merchants, if you do you'll never do anything.

Ask yourself this, if the dealer had a Hobby on his forecourt would he have spouted this rubbish. No way he'd have been praising the build quality of a German motorhome.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:Eeek: Argh here we go again another urban myth to add this to the list with gassing etc etc.

Hobby is a great quality motorhome if you like the layout and its in your budget buy it, don't take any notice of the gloom and doom merchants, if you do you'll never do anything.

Ask yourself this, if the dealer had a Hobby on his forecourt would he have spouted this rubbish. No way he'd have been praising the build quality of a German motorhome.

Ooo I have been called a few things but a gloom and doom merchant is a new one.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
When Peter (JCM) was thinking of becomming a Hobby dealer he asked thesame question :Smile:I remember at the time saying I thought they were one of the better screwed together vans around and I still do :thumb:
The main reason the Itinerants like Hobby caravans is simply because they are good and some are DRY vans without the wc :Eeek:They consider a loo inside a van as dirty (sooner piss in a bush ) plus they offer a lot of van for the money :thumb:I know 2 storage places that would not acept Hobby caravans simply because they are favs to be knicked ::bigsmile:Not sure if they would still refuse inthis present time :Smile:
M/Hs are not affected by the blight of caravans :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think the bad name comes from the travelling community using Hobby Caravans which are pretty noticable, anything about the motorhomes may be just a rumour without basis, made no differnec to my insurance having a Hobby.
At the end of the day Hobby's look similar to any other motorhome:thumb:
Last year big news about a family in a 50 grand Hobby motorhome being turned away from a site in Scotland.:Sad:

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hobby your opinions

Not sure what sites these folks are staying on but have only been turned away from a site once ! was a twinset and pearls CC site and they said we were too heavy as it had been raining heavily!!

Love my van and no problems !! Toured in UK , Greece, Italy ( they loved the van ) , Portugal , Sicily , Spain , Holland , Belgium , Germany and Norway . Go for it if you like it !!!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not sure what sites these folks are staying on but have only been turned away from a site once ! was a twinset and pearls CC site and they said we were too heavy as it had been raining heavily!!

Love my van and no problems !! Toured in UK , Greece, Italy ( they loved the van ) , Portugal , Sicily , Spain , Holland , Belgium , Germany and Norway . Go for it if you like it !!!
Have a read of this. :winky: Link Removed

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hobby yout opinions

Well that is interesting ! I was born in Arbroath and lived in Thurso for 14 years ! P & J our local paper except for the CaithnesCourier and John o Groat Journal !! all the papers known to be full of stories like this !! Never real world news !!

Am sure it is true but can only speak from experience ! and from the experiences of other Hobby owners I have met !

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Last year big news about a family in a 50 grand Hobby motorhome being turned away from a site in Scotland.:Sad:

Not sure that a one-off article in the P&J from 3 years ago constitutes 'big news' .......... :RollEyes:

With a site manager like that most Funsters would probably feel more welcome staying with the local travellers anyway! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back