Haddock,Chips & mushy peas in FRANCE (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Its Official........................ Haddock, Chips & Mushy peas in France

Cooked today at 12.45pm 14th November 2012::bigsmile::thumb:
.OOOOP's I forgot to say " Home made" Haddock Chips and Mushy Peas cooked today in France...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Rofl1

The plate is 12" long so they are a good size fish.....and not coated in a thick over coat...the southerners call BATTER.... like they coat there fish just to hide the sprat in side the batter masquerading as a Haddock or Cod fillet :

Attachments

• PB140003.jpg
    PB140003.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Maybe cooked at "home" but by ex professionals...:thumb:

(Any mince and onion pies and battered sausages... I don't eat fish?)

JJ :Cool:

HeHeHe don't tell them thaaaaart:Doh:

As cheap as chips.......7 smashing big Haddock fillets..for...11.10 euros..= 1.58 euros each
A about 4 to 5 potatoes....=0. 50c
Mix up a bit of Plain Flour, pinch of Salt, a pinch of bi carbe, cold water, mix to till it resembles single cream consistency. job done
Mushy peas...dried Peas soaked in bi carb over night.... = 0.30c
Or if YOU was in the UK "A tin of mushy peas from Tesco 4p:Doh:...

For each serving....... Fish .........................1.58
...............................Chips.........................0.25
................................Mushy peas...............0.15

Total in Euros ...................................1.98 euros

Total in £ sterling.............................£1.58..

No.. I did not include bread butter and a Mug of Tea:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you are a pensioner you have NOWT better to do:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WOW I paid 3.50 and 4.50 euros for a small plastic box of frittes / chips.. at Calais:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

We used to do JUMBO sausages in our Fish & Chip shop....and Minced beef pies also Pukka pies
images

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

JJ we / us two can beat those welsh sausages that Shiffty makes....the Bu**er has jumped on our Sausage band wagon.....we did the sausage trick last year on fun or was 2 years ago:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
HeHeHe don't tell them thaaaaart:Doh:

As cheap as chips.......7 smashing big Haddock fillets..for...11.10 euros..= 1.58 euros each
A about 4 to 5 potatoes....=0. 50c
Mix up a bit of Plain Flour, pinch of Salt, a pinch of bi carbe, cold water, mix to till it resembles single cream consistency. job done
Mushy peas...dried Peas soaked in bi carb over night.... = 0.30c
Or if YOU was in the UK "A tin of mushy peas from Tesco 4p:Doh:...

For each serving....... Fish .........................1.58
...............................Chips.........................0.25
................................Mushy peas...............0.15

Total in Euros ...................................1.98 euros

Total in £ sterling.............................£1.58..

No.. I did not include bread butter and a Mug of Tea:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you are a pensioner you have NOWT better to do:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WOW I paid 3.50 and 4.50 euros for a small plastic box of frittes / chips.. at Calais:Eeek:

Ahh but Mel - you didn't include the specially imported dripping to cook them in - making them 'priceless' !! :winky:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ahh but Mel - you didn't include the specially imported dripping to cook them in - making them 'priceless' !! :winky:

Hello Mrs Shiffty..Kath..the Governer The Boss:notworthy::notworthy:.where is the sausage man Shiffty ..Dave...........Well at the moment Kath yes I do have a bit of Dripping...we fetched some back with us about a month ago.....but it is just about gone:cry::cry:..then its back to the OIL:cry::cry:...BUT Kath the trouble is the whole house stinks of Dripping.. Christine is doing her nut about the dripping smell...Mmmm lovely:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
That looks delicious Mel. You should be on Master Chef, it's about time that they cooked up some decent grub on that programme.

Brisey.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That looks delicious Mel. You should be on Master Chef, it's about time that they cooked up some decent grub on that programme.

Brisey.

Brisey you are a very WISE man:notworthy::notworthy: I bow to your presence......You speak the truth,.. this tiny bit of piled up rubbish they put on a plate in master chef ..with a smudge of brown dragged along with the spoon:Doh: .....Well it looks like what comes out of a baby's nappy.... they should be call master comedian's:Eeek:

Last edited:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Hi Mel,
I am a Lancastrian and proud of it but the best fish and chips in the world are made in Yorkshire with lovely fresh fish straight from Grimsby, potatoes from Lincolnshire and cooked with love east of the Pennines.
I am drooling just thinking of the taste.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Mel,
I am a Lancastrian and proud of it but the best fish and chips in the world are made in Yorkshire with lovely fresh fish straight from Grimsby, potatoes from Lincolnshire and cooked with love east of the Pennines.
I am drooling just thinking of the taste.

I like thaaart John....maybe that's were our waist line came from:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I sit here eating a dried up cheese and salad cream sandwich, i`m not jealous at all.:cry:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hello Mrs Shiffty..Kath..the Governer The Boss:notworthy::notworthy:.where is the sausage man Shiffty ..Dave...........Well at the moment Kath yes I do have a bit of Dripping...we fetched some back with us about a month ago.....but it is just about gone:cry::cry:..then its back to the OIL:cry::cry:...BUT Kath the trouble is the whole house stinks of Dripping.. Christine is doing her nut about the dripping smell...Mmmm lovely:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well Mel, next time we're over - you get an extractor fan sorted out for Chris's sake and we'll replenish your stocks of dripping and bring you a nice cod fresh from Calais fish market so that you can make a proper fish supper... :thumb:

I feel a North - South spat coming on... :winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yuk!:Doh: Danged Furrineers, Foreign Muck! 'addock Chips an' A sticky green splodge! Yuk

Give me an 'omemade traditional Pasty everytime, made with good Morrocan Spuds, Spanish brown Onions Swede from Isreal, Skirt Steak from Ireland AND pastry from Tesco

Good solid English Grub:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, someone else who uses the bicarb trick for the batter! :thumb:

If there's any batter left I usually make some lovely onion rings too.::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

If there's any batter left I usually make some lovely onion rings too.::bigsmile:

I don't mess about with water and bicarbonate, crack a tinnie, sup half and bang the rest in the flour, it makes a lovely crisp batter:winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well have to say, Chalkie's dad used to swear by beer batter. You know, what's is name, im at Padstow. Im that did the telly prog on that barge on't cut, the one that ends up down Adge way?

:ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well have to say, Chalkie's dad used to swear by beer batter. You know, what's is name, im at Padstow. Im that did the telly prog on that barge on't cut, the one that ends up down Adge way?

:ROFLMAO:

Rick Stein by any chance (and the wonderful late Chalky!)

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

:Angry:

Minx ..you seem to know your batter's....no...it's not a trick..adding Bi carb its one of the ingredients all fish & chip shop's added.....sadly not any more
At one time all fish & Chip shops would add something to there batter's..a special mix.....
When we had the fish & Chip shop we would add our own mix ***** to the batter being mixed.. a couple spoonful of the powder to a large bucket of our own made batters made from the large 25kg & 50kg sack's of Plain flour "Bakers Pride"....don't forget we was using two to three large buckets of batter per frying session depending how busy you are and more if needed...7 to 10 a day.... doing three frying sessions per day.... frying hundreds of Fish in batter, Fish Patties in Batter, Sausage in batter, Onion rings in batter..etc

Now the beer batter....for a Fish & chip shop that is a none starter....it is a Cheffy chuffy thing (no its not a PUPPET)........ or home cooking, somebody who is only frying one or two pieces of fish:Doh::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....and to be quite honest with you it is a waste of good beer as does not make any difference to a good fish & chip shop recipe...:thumb:

These Fish shop recipe were a guarded secret's not even the staff would see the batter being mixed:Doh: or the ingredients that had been added::bigsmile:.

For many years now with all these different nationalities buying Fish & chips shops and selling a large range of fast foods to keep the Batters uniform they use a complete batter in a sack with colourings and additives in the mix to make it look nice...yellow/golden they just add water:Doh::Doh: Fryers Gold Batter Mix ,
Middleton's Golden Batter, Golden sheaf, and many others....NOT my idea of a good batter

Here is a You tube Link I have just found ....this how we made ours..he uses Self raisin flour we used Plain

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO4NRge8rfQ"]Local Weymouth Fish and Chip Shop's Secret Batter Mix - YouTube[/ame]

Here is one for the amateurs with a complete mix Golden fry
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaUoSlj_Qjw&feature=related"]Fish and Chips Recipe - Perfect British "Chippy" Chips! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back