SAGA Insurance over fifties rip off (1 Viewer)

castalla

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Spain + Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion IH Tio R
Exp
Since 2007
:Doh::cry::cry::cry:Saga said my high premiums were due to my motorhome being LHD, High power output, 4 belted seats and no alarm, so I spent £12000 on a trade in and rang Saga to change insurance cover quoting thatcham1 alarm, thatcham 2 immobiliser, RHD, 2 belted seats and 500cc less power I expected a refund but was told the premium was an extra £40 for the remaining 4 months or I could cancel the policy for£40, a special deal for the over fifties? And 42 years without a claim, my new quote just under£600. Anyone know a better insurer? Regards Castalla.

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
I'm with Staveley Head and paid a premium of £265.05p this year with a 10,000 mile annual limit to suit my useage, max' NCB and club membership discount CC, C&CC etc.
They do require proof of your NCB, club membership and a copy of your driving licence, also if you have the low mileage discount they request a signed declaration of the vehicles odometer reading.

Cheers John.:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'm with Staveley Head and paid a premium of £265.05p this year with a 10,000 mile annual limit to suit my useage, max' NCB and club membership discount CC, C&CC etc.
They do require proof of your NCB, club membership and a copy of your driving licence, also if you have the low mileage discount they request a signed declaration of the vehicles odometer reading.

Cheers John.:thumb:

Just been to their website to obtain a quote. Went through the lengthy form-filling process after digging out all the relevant info. and at the end simply got a response saying 'No Quote' !! No explanation and I have no idea why, so that's that then. :cry:

Wyn

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Just been to their website to obtain a quote. Went through the lengthy form-filling process after digging out all the relevant info. and at the end simply got a response saying 'No Quote' !! No explanation and I have no idea why, so that's that then. :cry:

Wyn
Hi Wyn

You could try phoning them on 0800 970 9988 I've found them freindly to deal with.

Cheers John:thumb:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is there something out of the unusual about your circumstance ??
Are you resident in UK and have a UK address ? Are you teling them you stay out the country a long time ? (although many do).

Must be some reason.... I use Safeguard, a little over £300 and thats with full breakdown on a new 2012 van....

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have found Comfort excellent But they do not insure everyone they have conditions like the others

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
was with saga many years ago till I realised that I was ripped off.
just renewed my MH insurance with cammping and caravan club insurance
living in south, LEZ area, 10000mls/year £260 PREMIUM withl breakdown uk/europe and legal expansense came to £370 all in

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
saga rip off

I have been with Safeguard for years found there prices are good with breakdown cover in with the price , have used it over the years both at home and abroad . Premium this year was around £340 fully comp with protected bonus for my Swift Voyager. :Smile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I'm with Johno and using Staveley Head. I wanted to insure my first motorhome so a new jungle to explore. (March this year). Saga were £600 mark.
Staveley Head came in at £302 for an 05 plate Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD Swift Kontiki being a Private HGV.
Although declared as 64 year old and retired, I had a "using mobile phone" endorsment as well as a claim for a company car that I had, (both now
no longer valid). so my NCB was NIL.
I declared 5000 miles use.
Seemed a good price to me and am looking to get it nearer to £200 next year with 1 year's NCB and clean(ed) driving record.
I do though live in a low Postcode area in rural Essex (CO9)

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Saga just see us as a cash cow. I sacked them when their quote came in at DOUBLE everyone else, I went with C&CC who did good breakdown Ins as well.
Saga carried on taking the money as well so i had to get a refund..........vote with your feet, dump e'm.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
£208 with MHF/ Aviva based on 6000k miles per year, Thatch 1 alarm. Well pleased 2nd year with them, makes the membership fee more than worthwhile.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Comfort insurance on a 2010 Hobby, 3000cc, 5.25 tons, inc all extras, max 10k miles and breakdown was about £350, was more expensive because of the gross weight for breakdown recovery.

Dave

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Saga used to be an independant company and were very good premium wise but the company was sold, now they are part of the AA and prices have rocketed

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
:Doh::cry::cry::cry:Saga said my high premiums were due to my motorhome being LHD, High power output, 4 belted seats and no alarm, so I spent £12000 on a trade in and rang Saga to change insurance cover quoting thatcham1 alarm, thatcham 2 immobiliser, RHD, 2 belted seats and 500cc less power I expected a refund but was told the premium was an extra £40 for the remaining 4 months or I could cancel the policy for£40, a special deal for the over fifties? And 42 years without a claim, my new quote just under£600. Anyone know a better insurer? Regards Castalla.

So, you spent £12000 to change your van and now you're objecting to paying £40 for changing your insurance details? Hmmm! :Smile:

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
motorhome insurance

Hi, we were with saga for a few years but just renewed with comfort including breakdown over £150 cheaper

OP
OP
C

castalla

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Spain + Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion IH Tio R
Exp
Since 2007
Re SAGA RIP OFF

I would like to thank everyone for the fantastic helpful response you have saved me almost£300 on my insurance renewal. Membership to Motorhome Fun well worth the money!
Shame replies from the likes of CASTAWAY, hilldweller and tanka can't be filtered out , I couldn't be bothered to look at hill dwellers travels in pictures I just wanted a lower insurance quote based on fellow members superior knowledge and personal experience kind regards Castalla.:thumb:

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012

Definitely Comfort :thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I would like to thank everyone for the fantastic helpful response you have saved me almost£300 on my insurance renewal. Membership to Motorhome Fun well worth the money!
Shame replies from the likes of CASTAWAY, hilldweller and tanka can't be filtered out , I couldn't be bothered to look at hill dwellers travels in pictures I just wanted a lower insurance quote based on fellow members superior knowledge and personal experience kind regards Castalla.:thumb:

WELL DONE ON YOUR SAVING, PLEASE SHARE YOUR RESULT WITH US. SO WHO DID YOU GO WITH TO SAVE THAT £300 ?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I don’t insure with any UK insurance company but on reading this thread, I thought it was worth a mention that insurance companies may not be “Ripping you off” just because they charge more than others. Whilst I can understand folks wanting to save money, look after the pence and the £s will look after themselves and all that, it is worth remembering that the one time you want good insurance is when you NEED it and it is quite possible that the “Cheaper” insurance unfortunately doesn’t quite cover the area or need that you “MIGHT” have.

Good insurance is having covered (fully) everything, one wonders if the old saying….”you get what you pay for” might come in and sitting at the side of the road wishing will not give you the insurance you wish you had.
Saving money and getting what you need is a science and a couple of phone calls to get somebody say the magic word cheaper….is not science

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012

I am glad that you have found insurance to suit however I think you are being a bit unkind to hilldweller, castaway, and tonka, I think what they were trying to say is that where you live may have a big impact on your insurance quote. The fact that you have 2 places may have impacted on the large quote.

Maybe I look at people's better side but I don't think I am wrong on this one.

I also think that if you ask a question on this forum and then start criticising people's responses, even if they are trying to lighten the situation up, you may find that people might be less willing to reply.

OP
OP
C

castalla

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Spain + Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion IH Tio R
Exp
Since 2007
I clearly stated the reason given by SAGA for the price increases and if you read the replies you will clearly see I am not the only victim of SAGA.
I changed my motorhome because I was led to believe the vehicle is considered high risk, I wasn't amused when I realised I had wasted my time, but I take your point others would be keen to make light of my situation and asking for help gives others the right not to be criticised if a reply is of no help and a waste of time.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

:Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

I hope, given time, people new to posting on Fun discover that this Forum is used by members for many other reasons than just a source of information useful to them.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So, you spent £12000 to change your van and now you're objecting to paying £40 for changing your insurance details? Hmmm! :Smile:

By "spending" £12,000 the OP gets a motorhome more suited to his/her current needs...

... what is the EXTRA £40?

Insurance Companies are just dodgy Bookmakers in disguise.

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back