Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Got a puncture last night at jnc 28 M6. No spare tyre on the very expensive N&B an option I have been told. Called ADAC for recovery and was told that they have a maximum of £200 for recovery and because I have a 5 ton unit the cost was ove 400€ so I would have to find the rest:Angry::Angry:
So I crept off the motorway and parked up in a cul de sac. The phone decided to die on me:Angry: so luckily a very nice receptionist in the Leyland hotel helped me to get Kwik fit mobile. They came out but with the wrong tyre:Doh:
So spent the night and Kwik Fit should arrive this morning.:Smile:
By the way the tyre repair/inflation device (fix&go) didn't work either:Sad:

The list of things that have gone wrong on this top of the range MH in our first 6 months of being MHomers is getting beyond a joke. It has had about 5 weeks in the garage and gallons of fuel and time has been spent getting it to and from.

A list of problems to follow when I have calmed down.

Is this normal ?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Got a puncture last night at jnc 28 M6. No spare tyre on the very expensive N&B an option I have been told. Called ADAC for recovery and was told that they have a maximum of £200 for recovery and because I have a 5 ton unit the cost was ove 400€ so I would have to find the rest:Angry::Angry:
So I crept off the motorway and parked up in a cul de sac. The phone decided to die on me:Angry: so luckily a very nice receptionist in the Leyland hotel helped me to get Kwik fit mobile. They came out but with the wrong tyre:Doh:

The list of things that have gone wrong on this top of the range MH in our first 6 months of being MHomers is getting beyond a joke. It has had about 5 weeks in the garage and gallons of fuel and time has been spent getting it to and from.

Is this normal ?

Soaringman... I know the feeling...I intend making my faults public later...

It would seem that is the way in the today's world:Doh:... I find Motor homes are not QC checked and signed off...MONEY ...it seems to be a lot easier to let the customer find the Problems....Rectify what problems and faults the customer finds .........and the faults the customer misses by the time they do raise there head you will be out of warranty:Doh:

I hope you get sorted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Couldn't agree more Heyupluv.

See my thread "Autotrail woes".
Still ongoing as we speak. Waiting for another, as yet, unreturned phone call. :Angry:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Unfortunately it does seem to be normal nowadays and actually getting worse.

As for quality of new m/homes this is the very reason we went from a new 2009 Rv back to a 2002 German, does'nt have fancy lighting and flash interior but absolutely no comparison quality or insulation wise. This is also becoming a common story now with ADAC happy to take your hard earned but give nothing in return when you need it. If you do a search you'll find plenty of ADAC horror stories, they'll never get my cash happily.

Make sure you catelogue all the faults and give a copy to the dealer and give him hell, in my experience they'll do as little as possible unless you kick and scream.
Good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Well tyre fitted by 10.30am and am now at home,

My thoughts are

1. Get a spare wheel fitted by fiat dealer
2. Change my breakdown cover company
3. List all of the problems and send a letter to Travelworld and N&B Managing Director.

I hope that this is the end to the problems, but am a bit too worldly wise to believe that it is.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
My insurers (Caravan Guard) include recovery up to 7.5 tonnes in their policy. www.caravanguard.co.uk

If you are a member of the Camping and Caravan Club you can get a deal with the RAC which also covers up to 7.5 tonnes. I think it covers you abroad as well, but not sure. www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

I would buy a spare wheel, but make sure you have the appropriate jack, wheelbrace etc to do the job. Always remember to call for assistance on a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel on the hard shoulder.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

Is this normal ?

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would have thought a spare on that high class van would be standard, obviously more cost cutting by the manufacturer.
In the news recently was the introduction of a standards charter for dealers to follow. This will no doubt be another total load of useless words and a fancy certificate if subs are paid. What the h... is happening to society today? We are sold crap, never given honesty, blanked when we complain and they expect us to return when we change our van.
Take the Vanmaster take over of Bentley and the offer of continued warranty, more crap. I assumed Vanmaster were to keep all Bentley owners sweet for future business but they have done the opposite.
I hope your future travels are more pleasant and for god's sake give ADAC and Travelworld hell.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Unfortunately most of the German motorhomes have gone downhill in recent years. Gone are the glory days of vehicles built to a quality rather than price. Its the same with Mercedes cars am afraid. Years ago when you bought a Mercedes car like the W124 it would last a lifetime, but now the accountants are running the show its a different story. I have spoken to many Hymer owners over the years and each and every one of them that has traded up from there older Hymer to a newer model has regretted the change. N&B have always been a well respected builder in the past, only building high end quality motorhomes that used to demand a premium price when second hand. Unfortunately there quality control is not what it used to be and the price of second hand vehicles now is reflected in this.
Have said it often enough that if people are paying £50,000 plus for what is after all only a commercial vehicle with a different body it should be PERFECT and last a lifetime, not fall apart in the first couple of years.
Regarding ADAC, have been a member for many years and used them several times with nothing but praise for there services, but in the last year am beginning to wonder if the accountants are running them now as some of the stories I hear are not at all like the ADAC I know. Jock and Rita were treated appallingly by them.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Unfortunately most of the German motorhomes have gone downhill in recent years. Gone are the glory days of vehicles built to a quality rather than price. Its the same with Mercedes cars am afraid. Years ago when you bought a Mercedes car like the W124 it would last a lifetime, but now the accountants are running the show its a different story. I have spoken to many Hymer owners over the years and each and every one of them that has traded up from there older Hymer to a newer model has regretted the change. N&B have always been a well respected builder in the past, only building high end quality motorhomes that used to demand a premium price when second hand. Unfortunately there quality control is not what it used to be and the price of second hand vehicles now is reflected in this.
Have said it often enough that if people are paying £50,000 plus for what is after all only a commercial vehicle with a different body it should be PERFECT and last a lifetime, not fall apart in the first couple of years.
Regarding ADAC, have been a member for many years and used them several times with nothing but praise for there services, but in the last year am beginning to wonder if the accountants are running them now as some of the stories I hear are not at all like the ADAC I know. Jock and Rita were treated appallingly by them.

Those are wise well spoken words and perfectly true, sadly I have to agree

Deleted User
The €200 limit is well publicised and also applies to roadsde assistance, why was recovery needed? I would have thought that attendance by tyre fitters would have been covered, except for the cost of the tyre obviously.

I know it is easy to be wise after the event but I personally would be very reluctant to use a vehicle without a spare wheel.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Re spare wheels, its not just motorhomes. A while ago I had a look at a new Skoda Yeti. Nice care, no spare wheel - and also no JACK! So if you have a slow puncture in your drive you could not take the wheel off to take it to a repairers.
Cans of goo sometimes don't work. But even if they do, you then have to replace the tyre (the goo is a temporary repair and the tyre cannot be repaired once goo has been used) and of course the goo! So a minor puncture is very expensive! I'd get a spare wheel.

Re your expensive motorhome, I completely agree that you have a right to expect better. I do wonder how much of this is the dealer not doing PDI's as they should. In any event it is the dealer you have to take it up with, they have the contract. I would write strongly to the MD of Travelworld. I have his e-mail address if you pm me.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hmm, get a spare wheel. Sounds easy.

Where would you put the thing? - we've had this discussion before so don't bother answering because there isn't anywhere SENSIBLE to put one in or on our van.

We had cause to look at a certain manufacturer's price list recently. Optional spare wheel. £935. Think they are made from gold by virgins. And you know how rare those are.

You can see why people don't, can't you? We only spent that on a whole month's holiday in France in the summer! And that was including the tunnel, food, diesel, gas, site and aire charges, and approx £30 for getting a tyre off, removing the bolt that had gone through it, repairing the tyre, re-inflating it and putting it back on. Took the chap about haf an hour and we were back on the same aire within 2 hours all in, including a visit to a garage to discover nearest tyre place.

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Totally agree about quality, I owned 2 Mercedes (traded one in for the MH)
One M350 and an E220 both had rust within 3 years and no end of service issues, the worst being a new front differential on the M class after 50,000 miles, they wanted £3,000. After moaning it came down to £1,000
As I have had company cars since I was 23, I thought that buying Mercedes would give me reliable motoring when we had to buy our own:Doh::Doh:
Never again, very time I went into the dealership it cost me at least £500 :cry:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well tyre fitted by 10.30am and am now at home,

My thoughts are

1. Get a spare wheel fitted by fiat dealer
2. Change my breakdown cover company
3. List all of the problems and send a letter to Travelworld and N&B Managing Director.

I hope that this is the end to the problems, but am a bit too worldly wise to believe that it is.

I doubt this will do much to help. As Travelworld are the only N+B agents in UK there is no competition. As N+B will not supply anyone other than Travelworld with parts you are stuck. I need a replacement rear bumper for my Arto; Travelworld send a faulty bumper and when asked to replace it my agent is told to order and pay for another (£3000+) and they will arrange for a credit. Obvious my agent said get ******* so now he is arranging to "make the faulty bumper fit"
I contact Travelworld who promise to contact my agent - as you expect they made no contact.
Thankfully my Arto is a 1999 model and when I bought it had a spare wheel which as yet I have not had to use, but the news on ADAC only confirms the doubts I was having on a recovery company I thought were good and will not now look to provide me with recovery assistance.

Norman

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hmm, get a spare wheel. Sounds easy.

Where would you put the thing? - we've had this discussion before so don't bother answering because there isn't anywhere SENSIBLE to put one in or on our van.

We had cause to look at a certain manufacturer's price list recently. Optional spare wheel. £935. Think they are made from gold by virgins. And you know how rare those are.

You can see why people don't, can't you? We only spent that on a whole month's holiday in France in the summer! And that was including the tunnel, food, diesel, gas, site and aire charges, and approx £30 for getting a tyre off, removing the bolt that had gone through it, repairing the tyre, re-inflating it and putting it back on. Took the chap about haf an hour and we were back on the same aire within 2 hours all in, including a visit to a garage to discover nearest tyre place.

Also Jenny one of the main reasons why you did not have one in the first place is WEIGHT......:Doh:

Motor homes now a days coming off the assembly line are running so tight on there payload ...
When you buy a new motorhome...what is the first things you do have a Fiamma awning fitted ..a bike rack fitted... a solar panel fitted...you have a TV and receiver fitted... an extra battery fitted to take in all that free solar electricity..a satellite dish, an oven fitted because manufacturers left it out due to weight and the £££ cost:Doh:..Maybe one of there options Alde heating....then your outside chairs and table maybe a bike or two electric cables and loads of fittings....and many other items...something to stop you slipping when weather is bad...all your bedding ,clothes,shoes,food, and utensils the list is endless.generator...maybe another jack as the one they supply is not up to the job.......you are over weight without the driver passenger without water in your tank and half a tank of diesel:Doh::cry:...its a joke...as they need to get below 3500 kg for the drivers who can not go above that weight.. it's a bigger market........the majority of payloads now a days are between 250 and 400 kg but most of them are nearer to 300 kg

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If we all insisted on a spare wheel the problen whould go away.

I ordered a new Merc 6 years ago between ordering and delivery Mercedes changed from a spare wheel to a pump and glue.

I refused delivery and Mercedes fitted a sparewheel.

2 years ago I ordered my first new motorhome the salesman said they dont have a sparewheel it makes them too heavy.

So i got up to leave and was offered a spare wheel + carrier fitted by the dealer at there costs

Its our money we should tell them what we want,

If they say no or want more money walk away .

Mel

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Soaringman... [HI]I know the feeling...I intend making my faults public later...
[/HI]
It would seem that is the way in the today's world:Doh:... I find Motor homes are not QC checked and signed off...MONEY ...it seems to be a lot easier to let the customer find the Problems....Rectify what problems and faults the customer finds .........and the faults the customer misses by the time they do raise there head you will be out of warranty:Doh:

I hope you get sorted

I got married in 1976 and swmbo is still listing mine every day:Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As Mel so rightly says, weight is a huge problem. More so now than ever, as we all demand more and more extras fitted to our motorhomes that were not even invented 10 or fifteen years ago. Some of the vans that I have seen that are supposed to be under 3500kgs I often wonder what size driver and passenger are supposed to be in there. What is the point of having a water tank if you are overloaded when you put water in it ?. But we only have ourselves to blame, as we still want all the bells and whistles, but want the van to be within the legal weight limits. Am afraid its a no win situation.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Re your expensive motorhome, I completely agree that you have a right to expect better. I do wonder how much of this is the dealer not doing PDI's as they should.
Sorry I am missing something. Do you mean that the puncture or the rules re over weight vehicles would have not happened if the PDI had been done?

In any event it is the dealer you have to take it up with, they have the contract. I would write strongly to the MD of Travelworld. I have his e-mail address if you pm me.

Would he be interested that the OP decided against spending his money on a spare wheel, then got a puncture?

A puncture is bad luck, not carrying a spare is a concious decision in my mind. We took delivery of a new 11 ton Gulf Stream in May. There is no spare, and my breakdown is through RAC Arrival and I know that I will be charged for a puncture as I do not carry a spare. It told me in the blurb when I signed up!

Eddie

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had an optional spare wheel fitted when new and after just over two years with my new RV one slideout failure in the first month was fixed quickly and last year when out of warranty a minor fault on the reversing screen/radio resulted in a very prompt brand new replacement from Thor in the US, the service from them and Signature Motorhomes has been excellent and the RV solidly built and always ready for the next trip. :thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My insurers (Caravan Guard) include recovery up to 7.5 tonnes in their policy. www.caravanguard.co.uk

If you are a member of the Camping and Caravan Club you can get a deal with the RAC which also covers up to 7.5 tonnes. I think it covers you abroad as well, but not sure. www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

I would buy a spare wheel, but make sure you have the appropriate jack, wheelbrace etc to do the job. Always remember to call for assistance on a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel on the hard shoulder.

Agreed, Motorways are the most dangerous place to be stationary and 'tired' drivers do tend to wander around the road and onto the hard shoulder.

even if you dont have breakdown cover, just use the emergency phone positioned every mile or so.

you will be charged for the call out but what price do you put on your life.

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Sorry I am missing something. Do you mean that the puncture or the rules re over weight vehicles would have not happened if the PDI had been done?

Would he be interested that the OP decided against spending his money on a spare wheel, then got a puncture?

A puncture is bad luck, not carrying a spare is a concious decision in my mind. We took delivery of a new 11 ton Gulf Stream in May. There is no spare, and my breakdown is through RAC Arrival and I know that I will be charged for a puncture as I do not carry a spare. It told me in the blurb when I signed up!

Eddie

I agree Eddie it is my fault re not having a spare wheel.
When I bought it I expected it to have one, being new to this I didn't know any better, just expected that it would have one, and didnt search around for it.

ADAC did not explain this to me even when I made it clear that I have a 5 ton vehicle and expressed the fact that this is what I want the cover for.

All of their blurb is in German and so reading the small print is a bit tricky.

Eddie
Having had my own business for 10 years I understand that the public can sometimes be over demanding and awkward sometimes. I see myself as a very realistic and sometimes over trusting person.
Our eye to detail and desire to give the customer service above and beyond their expectations at a reasonable price is what made our Guest House one of the most successful in Windermere. We worked 7 days a week for 10 years ( with a holiday here and there) to realise our ambitions.
I am the 1st to recognise a good service and always praise it. Sadly this seems to be very rare in the big wide world?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My 2004 Burstner does have a spare wheel, underneath.

I also carry a can of 'goo' and a small 12v compressor.

Would I change the wheel if I had a puncture? - Not unless I had to.

Probably wouldn't be able to remove the tyrefitter's wheel nuts anyway - watched the AA struggle taking off the wheel last time I had a puncture!

If I had to I would use the goo and compressor, even drive on a flat to get to somewhere safer, phone recovery, put the kettle on, put the TV on, relax and wait to let a 'professional' change the wheel...........

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I agree Eddie it is my fault re not having a spare wheel.
When I bought it I expected it to have one, being new to this I didn't know any better, just expected that it would have one, and didnt search around for it.

ADAC did not explain this to me even when I made it clear that I have a 5 ton vehicle and expressed the fact that this is what I want the cover for.

All of their blurb is in German and so reading the small print is a bit tricky.

Eddie
Having had my own business for 10 years I understand that the public can sometimes be over demanding and awkward sometimes. I see myself as a very realistic and sometimes over trusting person.
Our eye to detail and desire to give the customer service above and beyond their expectations at a reasonable price is what made our Guest House one of the most successful in Windermere. We worked 7 days a week for 10 years ( with a holiday here and there) to realise our ambitions.
I am the 1st to recognise a good service and always praise it. Sadly this seems to be very rare in the big wide world?

Hi Soaringman, I wasn't having a go at you at all. It is just that so often, all the posts are not read and then a third party posts starts a game of "Chinese whispers"

As for not reading the small print, with larger vehicles you must:winky: We (Lyn and I ) paid for European breakdown with the AA for five years, at the same time they charged us a height and weight surcharge for our ferry crossing.

It was only in year six that we read the T&C's and found out we were definitely not covered with the RV we had at the time.

I wrote asking for clarification and if there was no cover a refund for the past five European breakdown policies. I got a letter back stating that "no" there was no cover but there would be no refund as "we had had the benefit of the cover":Doh::Doh::Doh:

Welcome to fun

Eddie

OP
OP
Soaringman

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
It's a learning curve Eddie and sometimes painful:Sad:
But we are really enjoying our time in the van, we are the ones with the silly grins if you pass us::bigsmile:
We have stayed at your place a couple of times and it is kept beautifully!
Our daughter and family live in Taunton but here house is a bit small for us and a dog.
Next time I am there come over for a beer, I see we have rugby in common, I played until I was 45 :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our 2012 Autocruise Accent came with a spare wheel as standard. :Smile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)

Eddie

Yes you are missing something. The original post also talked about lots of problems with the van. The comments you have highlighted from me were about these. I suggest you read the thread properly before making sarcastic comments.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
As a young car driver, with less than reliable old cars, I've spent many hours, at all times of the day and night, sat at the roadside waiting for breakdown service from a variety of companies. That and a lot of continental driving to Vienna (wife's family) have taught me to be very cautious about who I'm insured with for breakdown and travel.

Motorhomes are not cheap to buy or run and I'm often intrigued my those who seek to save a tenner here and twenty pounds there on insurance and breakdown cover. Each to his or her own I suppose but, and I'm not loaded, I prefer the security of knowing that it will all get sorted for me, quickly and efficiently, wherever I am in Europe.

So I've rejected ADAC as imo too remote and I've always suspected from some people's reports, a bit too good to be true. As for the AA and RAC, I'm not convinced of the ease of using their service abroad, having heard lots of stories from other drivers. I really want to retain as much of my holiday as I can, or get home quickly, rather than fiddle faddle around waiting for and chasing other people.

So that's why I've chosen the unequivocable assurance of the Caravan Club's Mayday breakdown cover for the UK (includes our car as well) and their Red Pennant service for the continent. More expensive maybe, but they do all the work and I've yet to hear bad reports so far (probably will now :Doh:)

I can understand that with the tanks that some of you drive :RollEyes:, it may not be quite so clear cut.

As for spare wheels, they're cheaper from the base model dealer (e.g. Fiat) than from the MH dealer. I ditched my gutless Fiat compressor and gunge and now only carry a can of fresh gunge to permit a short drive off a bend, or to the nearest M'way exit. We have a spare in the rear boot/locker, but there are lots of rear mounting kits for most MH's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back