Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:helpsos: Hi there funsters,
Been told by an experienced motorhomer that it may be necessary to sterelize the drinking water in the tank.
We only drink the water for tea, and so it's boiled.
Anybody got any thoughts on this ??

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If the drinking water came out of a reputable tap, no need to sterilise it especially not if you're boiling it anyway. Many people drink the water straight out of their tank with no problem, as I have myself on occasion (prefer beer though).
Keep the water fresh though, don't fill it up and leave it standing for weeks. The chlorine etc in the water will kill off any bugs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as above :thumb:

if the water begins to smell or taste odd then sterilizing should clear it...otherwise dont bother, unless you have a delicate stomach

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
For drinking water I use a filter jug which is kept topped up and in the fridge.:Smile:

It also reduces furring in the kettle.:thumb:

Pete:Cool:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If we dont use the MH for say, four weeks,...then I,ll just run some milton through, but its a personal thing. I drink whats in the tank, I put it there out of a tap, so its drinkable.

Just on ninteresting note, I saw a sign up in Halfords, informing you that it is wise to use screen wash in your washer bottle all year round to protect against legionairres disease:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:..............methinks, someone is taking the pizz.:ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We always empty the tank when we get home after a trip. If not going away for a couple of weeks, we just flush the tank through before filling again. Although you boil the water for tea, don't forget you might rinse with it when cleaning your teeth. I had a really bad tum when away in our first van. We hadn't thought about sterilising the tank and had no idea how long it had been standing before we bought it. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just on ninteresting note, I saw a sign up in Halfords, informing you that it is wise to use screen wash in your washer bottle all year round to protect against legionairres disease:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:..............methinks, someone is taking the pizz.:ROFLMAO:

I remember this being mentioned before...so did a search and found this from a couple of years ago:

BBC news site

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you do decide to sterilise it, do NOT use Milton as it can rot your stainless steel water tank not to mention your sink! :Doh:

We don't bother sterilising it, we don't leave any water in the tank unless we're away in it but we always empty it as soon as we get home and then give it a flush through before filling it just before departing. When we're away we don't bother unless we've had the water in for a few days and have the opportunity of getting some fresh, in which case we'll empty and refill, but if you use a fair bit of water that won't be an issue. The tank on our previous van was over 100 litre we didn't get through it all in a few days, hence our 'refreshing', but as our new van is only 66 litre we won't have to bother any more. :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If you drink the water from your tap at home take two large bottles with you just in case.

We do this just for our dog so she doesnt have a change in water type.

Unless you are going abroad most water in the uk is quite drinkable without sterilizing. If you are boiling water just for tea then there shouldnt be any problem.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
even if the water was filled from my own tap i would not drink it you are more likely to get a contamination from your tank than the tap i always use it for boiling only
anyway never drink water fish make love in it yuk

Hocky54

Free Member
Feb 6, 2011
Lowestoft Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Dutchmen Denali
Exp
I always put sterilising tablets in the tank when I fill up, in Uk on the continent wher ever, old habit from camping days.

Julian :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If we dont use the MH for say, four weeks,...then I,ll just run some milton through, but its a personal thing. I drink whats in the tank, I put it there out of a tap, so its drinkable.

Just on ninteresting note, I saw a sign up in Halfords, informing you that it is [HI]wise to use screen wash in your washer bottle all year [/HI]round to protect against legionairres disease:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:..............methinks, someone is taking the pizz.:ROFLMAO:

While working on vehicles sometimes , i think --what is that terrible smell ?
like rotten eggs.
Tracked it down to people leaving the windscreen washer bottle full of tap water--it smells bad :Eeek:
If screenwash is added ,that stops it.:thumb:--
Don`t put it in your drinking water tank though as it will make your eyes water up :ROFLMAO:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Link Removed

We used the 'Seagull' version of these on our boat..........Fantastic piece of kit:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we find keeping the tank as near to full at all times keeps it clear we always let it overflow for a couple of minutes when filling every few weeks and weve not dropped dead yet only time its drained is for winter if were not using it for a while

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
If you drink the water from your tap at home take two large bottles with you just in case.

We do this just for our dog so she doesnt have a change in water type.

Unless you are going abroad most water in the uk is quite drinkable without sterilizing. If you are boiling water just for tea then there shouldnt be any problem.

Waste of time with Ellie, she prefers a muddy puddle. :roflmto:

Ivy

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
When we goy our new mh we sterilised the water tank as you never know what some people get up to, we used a product that had been made from orange zest or something, advised not use milton as it leaves a taste and can damage some metal parts. As for day to day use we just empty the tank when were finished wit it and then refill before we go away again.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Interesting conversation,

I suppose the thing we are really trying to prevent is the growth of things like Pseudomonas which most water supplies have a level of. The bacteria growth is enhanced by temperature and stagnation some of which is not entirely detectable by taste or smell.

Our domestic system is protected by chlorination and then by continual use so a simple good flush will help, if not left stored for long periods.

The process should start with a good draining practice ie make sure all the kinks in the hoses have no dribbles, taps have been opened to let air locks out. Apart from condensation then bacteria hasnt got an easy growth area.

On my van if stored for a long period I
1) Drain properly
2) Fill fully with tablet
3) Drain
4) Then refill letting it overflow

I also have a aquasource filter fitted only on cold sink tap which in it self takes taste and an element of bacteria out

A lot of its personal and Im sure lots of people will have views on what Ive said just flush well:thumb::thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I dunno, Mogs.

However think you pre-empted the headline on Yahoo news today that vasectomies are down by 50% !

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is sterilisation necessary?

For a known to be clean water tank, no.

For Jeremy Kyle's studio guests, definitely!:ROFLMAO: