Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are about to change the place we store our van.

This new place has all mod cons including under cover storage and hook up.

I went to look at it yesterday and many vans were on hook up.

Why would that be?

Presumably you wouldnt leave it with the boiler running or even with an electric fire in there.

Is it just to top up the leisure battery or something?

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
When i was looking up storage i found some places would prepare your van a couple of days before you arrived to pick it up, just to make sure everything was running ok.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our van sits at the house but when we had the caravan we used to put it on a pitch for the winter and would leave the elec hook up on and set the heating to come on if the temp got below 0 this just kept the chill off the van so could be doing the same. In the mh we have an oil filled rad that we put on from time to time over winter to keep chill off van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When i was looking up storage i found some places would prepare your van a couple of days before you arrived to pick it up, just to make sure everything was running ok.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who said there is a place near Heathrow where they valet it for you before you take it out. Too far from me though.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our van sits at the house but when we had the caravan we used to put it on a pitch for the winter and would leave the elec hook up on and set the heating to come on if the temp got below 0 this just kept the chill off the van so could be doing the same. In the mh we have an oil filled rad that we put on from time to time over winter to keep chill off van.

Thanks Gerry. I dont think I have got that facility on my van to set it only to come on if its freezing.

As for the oil filled radiator I have got one but I would be nervous about leaving that on a timer with my van about 8 miles away.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Jordans car storage in Surrey seemed ok but as we've just bought a chalet we will be keeping our little motorhome where it fits in a parking space at home.
Still a bit of a journey from you i expect, but good for all motorways, A3,M25,M3,M4.

:thumb:Jordans dont give out there postcode just a phone number:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
both me and my pal keep our RV motorhomes in my large yard, and then we use smallish oil filled rads with stats on in winter. you cant believe the difference it makes to them. Hook up also keeps all the batteries charged up on the many dull days the solar panels is struggling. Batteries need to be kept well charged for long life. Oil filled rads are about as safe as you can get really, and if anythings goes wrong they just pack up and sit there, but its rare. Our RV has sensitive breakers on the fuse box, but you could put an RCD breaker on your lead for added piece of mind.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and if anythings goes wrong they just pack up and sit there, but its rare.

But scotjimlad did find a case where an oilfilled leaked, can't remember if it was leak and fire.

I have a small greenhouse heater on, I'll take the risk to keep the MH aired over the winter.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Here is an old post of mine:Eeek:

Broken Link Removed

Lesley, this Post should auto regenerate every few months, thank-you. It wont so please feel free to throw it out every so often....

Invaluable warning.

...............Griff..........:thumb:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp