Truma boiler problem. Any advice please? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My boiler has started playing up.

It used to start on the first click. Now it sounds like a mini explosion is happening then sounds like a flame is flicking back and forth in a tube.

Sort of Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud BrrrrrRRRRRR.

Hard to explain sounds in words:Doh:
Once a day or so it goes through the cycle and fails to ignite and the red light indicating out of gas comes on. The hob is working full blast, the gas cylinder is full....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be happening.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone have access to the service manual for one of these?

It's a Truma C4002 combi.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine isn't the same model, but it is a Truma ... it says in the book (quote)

if the burner makes an unusual noise or if the flame lifts off, it is likely that the regulator is faulty and it is essential to have it checked. (end quote0

Don't know if that is of any help.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My boiler has started playing up.

It used to start on the first click. Now it sounds like a mini explosion is happening then sounds like a flame is flicking back and forth in a tube.

Sort of Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud BrrrrrRRRRRR.

Amazing. Ours has taken to doing just that. No more than 3 "whoooooshes" but worrying even though it heated perfectly.

So we went to Spinney Motorhomes, listed as Truma agents, "Nothing wrong Sir, so only £36". The service guy did wonder if it was poor 12V causing the bad ignition. He said there's no servicing done on them, more or less sealed 'till they fail.

It's happened occasionally for months, I can't trace a pattern. I wonder if it's anything to do with varying autogas LPG mixes. I wonder if wind speed/direction is anything to do with it.

If you find out I'd be very glad to hear the cause.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Gromett
Give truma a ring-

There technical department is excellent. They can save you an absolute fortune. Mine is now fixed and working al for the princely sum of me being an idiot when I re plugged it after fitting my Solar Panel. Some engineers wanted to strip the whole thing out and take the boiler out :Eeek:

A quick chat with the guys there and they had it sussed and working in mins.

Twice this has happened last time it was hte regulator and again there was talk of taking boilers out, 40 secs on the phone to them and again the problem was solved..

Here's there number, 01283 586020

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mine isn't the same model, but it is a Truma ... it says in the book (quote)

if the burner makes an unusual noise or if the flame lifts off, it is likely that the regulator is faulty and it is essential to have it checked. (end quote0

Don't know if that is of any help.

Thanks for that, I will be replacing the regulator today but I don't hold out much hope. The hob works exactly as before so I can't see it being gas starvation or similar but worth a try :thumb:

Amazing. Ours has taken to doing just that. No more than 3 "whoooooshes" but worrying even though it heated perfectly.

So we went to Spinney Motorhomes, listed as Truma agents, "Nothing wrong Sir, so only £36". The service guy did wonder if it was poor 12V causing the bad ignition. He said there's no servicing done on them, more or less sealed 'till they fail.

It's happened occasionally for months, I can't trace a pattern. I wonder if it's anything to do with varying autogas LPG mixes. I wonder if wind speed/direction is anything to do with it.

If you find out I'd be very glad to hear the cause.
It's not wind as it was doing it all day yesterday and it was sunny with no wind. I did think about the LPG mix as it started after I had filled up (I think)

PDFs of Operating & Installation instructions are available as links from Here. The former contains a troubleshooting guide.
I have both of those already (loaded onto my playbook) As I installed it myself I needed the installation manual. I really could do with a service manual that has a clear schematic so I can understand how it works.

My jobs for today once I get back to the workshop is, swap out the gaslow for a fresh propane bottle to see if it is the mix. If this doesn't work then I will try swapping the regulator out.

If neither of these work I need to get it looked at I think. The ignition problem is bad enough that I am concerned...

Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett
Give truma a ring-

There technical department is excellent. They can save you an absolute fortune. Mine is now fixed and working al for the princely sum of me being an idiot when I re plugged it after fitting my Solar Panel. Some engineers wanted to strip the whole thing out and take the boiler out :Eeek:

A quick chat with the guys there and they had it sussed and working in mins.

Twice this has happened last time it was hte regulator and again there was talk of taking boilers out, 40 secs on the phone to them and again the problem was solved..

Here's there number, 01283 586020

Thanks Haggers. If my two options above don't work I will give them a ring:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Karl, I can concur with Paul, that the Truma Technical Dept are very good with help down the phone.

Ours Truma C3402 stopped working shortly after we got the MH (third owners). The boiler failed to ignite although plenty of gas in tank.

The advice was suspect sticky gas solenoids, possibly due to lack of use, (the two little square things sitting at 4 and 8 o'clock, close to the gas inlet connection). Gently tapping (emphasising "GENTLY") these solenoid valves with either a rubber mallet, or the wooden shaft of a ball pin hammer, whilst the boiler is trying to fire up, would probably release them. I did this and it has worked faultlessly ever since, however, it has always made that thumping noise on initial start up from cold, as does the Truma E2400 heater in the cab area.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Jock.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Karl fist thing to do is listen to Haggers and ring TRUMA up :thumb:Save the trouble of swapping :Smile:
Even if you need spares they are a lot cheaper than any dealers- dealer once quoted me £95 to supply a new Circuit board which truma quoted £35 for :Eeek: Cut a long story short my mate took a look at it and said it is either these or that,swapped a few things on it (mends tvs )and away it went :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Refilled my LPG tank from a different source and tried it. Same problem
Swapped it for a FloGas cylinder. same problem
New Regulator. Same problem.

Called Truma.
Held the phone up while starting it up and he said it sounds like the flu is split.
Take it out and check it :thumb:

Busy day for me....

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Looked at it and it is a full days work. I didn't leave enough clearance for me to get behind it without stripping the wardrobe out...

typical though, threaten the thing with a screwdriver and it has started behaving itself...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Got access to one of the workshop bays tomorrow so will strip it down anyway. I have some alumium tape designed for heating ducts so if there is a split I can do a bodge to tie me over till the new flu arrives...

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Todays the day. Spending all day stripping down the wardrobe/cupboard area so I can get to the boiler. Not looking forward to it but I am stuck on hookup until I can get it fixed...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Good luck Gromett :Smile: That's exactly why I

now tell self builder s to fit boiler and heaters last ::bigsmile:
Terry

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bloody hell!!!!!

Nothing wrong with the flu but I need a new O ring for it now...

Can anyone recommend a supplier as my usual one can only supply the full flu kit not just the O ring:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I need a new O ring for it now...

2 bodges....

Soldering iron weld.

Superglue.

I used to get involved with rubber drive belts, 10mm diameter rubber, heat each end with a big flat "soldering iron" press together and they did not snap.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
2 bodges....

Soldering iron weld.

Superglue.

I used to get involved with rubber drive belts, 10mm diameter rubber, heat each end with a big flat "soldering iron" press together and they did not snap.

Thanks but it has perished definitely needs a new one.

looks like I need a full flu kit anyway. I can't get the outer back on as it has crumpled. Can't get it back into shape so need a new tube.

May as well renew the whole lot.

No hot water for me for a few days though :cry:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, I have been through everything now and it is still doing the same thing.
Here is what truma got me to look at.

Flu. This was ok but I need to replace the O ring now. Same problem.
Low voltage? Corroded terminals? Nope. voltage is over 13v at the terminal.
Fan. This works fine and is not drawing abnormal current.

Piezo ignitors. To check these I need to drain the boiler and remove it totally from the van to get into it from underneath.

Has anyone done this? Can you tell me what other spares I will need please? Does it need new gaskets or anything else?

The problem I have is I am a fulltimer so leaving the van somewhere to get this sorted is not really practical :Doh::cry:

Any advice on this greatly appreciated.

It is a truma combi C4002...

PS: got the flu back on so as a tempory measure I have hot water but it takes a lot of patience.... Only got my fan heater for warmth tho so no going off hookup.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks but it has perished definitely needs a new one.

looks like I need a full flu kit anyway. I can't get the outer back on as it has crumpled. Can't get it back into shape so need a new tube.

May as well renew the whole lot.

No hot water for me for a few days though :cry:

Don't know where you are Gromett but Truma are near Derbyshire --it is worth giving them a call and they will get it to you next day--most dealers put a mark up on price-direct from truma do not :thumb:
terry
Link Removed

edit BTW they only charge about £35 an hour to do work on your van but can often strip test and rebuild in under the hour

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
BTW they only charge about £35 an hour to do work on your van but can often strip test and rebuild in under the hour

Unlikely they'll be able to do any work before the New Year tho' as apparently they're having building works done and so no workshop access. That's what they told me when I was wanting an intermittent fault diagnosed anyway.

Hope you soon get it sorted one way or another: the last thing you need when fulltiming is heating/hot water playing up. :Sad:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Truma are a bit too far to travel to unfortunately.

I am looking for a local company who repair trumas and will strip it out of the van and take it across to them.

Any recommendations for a good company near nottingham/sheffield/newark/lincoln area?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Truma are a bit too far to travel to unfortunately.

I am looking for a local company who repair trumas and will strip it out of the van and take it across to them.

Any recommendations for a good company near nottingham/sheffield/newark/lincoln area?

They are near Nottingham.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They are near Nottingham.

They are nearer to Derby/Stoke than Nottingham. For clarification I am looking for someone within the area bounded by Nottingham/sheffield/Lincoln A1/M1 corridor. I am at Retford Currently.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
not really familiar with your model but if it is similar to the ultrastore the first thing I would check would be circuit board in the ultrastores they locate into a plug type thing as you push them down and can become diss lodged which effects the spark, this happened on a new one we had sent direct from truma once , funnily enough we didn't bother sending it back just got another delivered for the job but it's now sitting here in my conversion working perfectly.
Another thing that can happen is the condensation outlet tube (if yours has one) can get blocked causing water to gather around the burner and also causing the jet to corrode, this can also happen if the tank develops a leak which I have also had with my last caravan.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is the one I have

Link Removed