Google Maps on mobile handset (1 Viewer)

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi, can anyone help on what mobile handset would allow me to access google maps on the go.

I drive for a living and when the company directs me to pick up 25 tonne of "whatever" from so and so, I would like to be able to go online with the mobile and look at the street view in google as more than often the postcode is not specific. I think this would save me some time on the job, so to speak.

I know the new Samsung or Iphone comes with all the bells and whistles and completes these functions excellently. It was demonstrated in my local "three" shop in Carmarthen yesterday.

I don't want to pay the hefty network contract prices with the new smartphones.

I am looking for a dated smartphone that I can put either my tesco simm only into the phone. (It comes with some data allowance)

Or I can put a giff gaff simm in with unlimited data on a pay as you go basis( i think )

So funsters what handset with a decent screensize I can possibly buy cheaply off ebay (unlocked) would allow me to do this. I realise there is a fine line between performance of the handsets software in relation to the speed to access google maps.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dai

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi, can anyone help on what mobile handset would allow me to access google maps on the go.

I drive for a living and when the company directs me to pick up 25 tonne of "whatever" from so and so, I would like to be able to go online with the mobile and look at the street view in google as more than often the postcode is not specific. I think this would save me some time on the job, so to speak.

I know the new Samsung or Iphone comes with all the bells and whistles and completes these functions excellently. It was demonstrated in my local "three" shop in Carmarthen yesterday.

I don't want to pay the hefty network contract prices with the new smartphones.

I am looking for a dated smartphone that I can put either my tesco simm only into the phone. (It comes with some data allowance)

Or I can put a giff gaff simm in with unlimited data on a pay as you go basis( i think )

So funsters what handset with a decent screensize I can possibly buy cheaply off ebay (unlocked) would allow me to do this. I realise there is a fine line between performance of the handsets software in relation to the speed to access google maps.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dai
Hi Dai, a couple of options to offer, I have a Samsung S2 but the iphone or most smart phones will offer same. Google maps off-line is one workable option. You have to download areas of the maps you require.
Second I use an attatchment called NavFree this works as a sat nav but only uses your phone GPS not your data. I recently used this in the USA with my data turned off, it worked a treat and most important cost me nought. The download is also free. It was recommended to me on this site and now use it in the UK and abroad. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have a look at NavFree for Android.

Full navigation system. Once loaded does not need a data connection.

You just have to make sure any phone or tablet you choose has GPS built in.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dai

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi buttons, thanks for the info. I have a snooper truckmate which takes care of the sat nav issue.

Understand what you say re maps offline, just viewed a demo on youtube. It would appear you cannot walk the little man in street view offline. This is crucial to my requirement. As an example, two entrances into a pickup, which is the one for the HGV. By walking in streetview I can see obstructions and so forth, ease of access. I do this now using a lappy and dongle I just wanted to make it more portable. Plus the Mrs doesn't like me taking the lappy away all week. No connection then at home for her and what with xmas coming up, I am looking for an alternative.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Dai

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks Brian, I should have said I have snooper truckmate in initial post.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I do this now using a lappy and dongle I just wanted to make it more portable. Plus the Mrs doesn't like me taking the lappy away
Thanks.

I've just tried Google Maps with Street View on my bog standard Motorola Defy+ Android phone. Works OK but with the screen size it's nowhere as good as on a laptop. I bought this phone because it's waterproof, allegedly, good for biking.

I guess you need an Android phone with the biggest screen you can afford. HTC have done some big screen phones.

Or for less money, get a netbook ( just another name for a small laptop ).

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]I've just tried Google Maps with Street View on my bog standard Motorola Defy+ Android phone. Works OK [/HI]but with the screen size it's nowhere as good as on a laptop. I bought this phone because it's waterproof, allegedly, good for biking.

I guess you need an Android phone with the biggest screen you can afford. HTC have done some big screen phones.

Or for less money, get a netbook ( just another name for a small laptop ).
Ditto :thumb:

OP
OP
Dai

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks guys, will have a look at HTC handsets when i'm up the road in the week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back