Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
OK!

Why is it some men, when they reach a certain age, sport a beard (usually white).

I notice that almost always, an approaching MH, will have a man at the helm with a white beard. Why is that?

My dad always said, "beware of a man with a beard, hat, and glasses. He will pretend to know everything, about everything". I am beginning to know what he means.

Craig.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That's ridiculous Simsy. If a bloke is old enough to grow a beard in the first place, most especially if it's white, he can't possibly be young enough to know everything, can he?

:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My old dad always said to me:

never trust an animal that bleeds a quarter of its life and doesn't die ( sorry.. I am just the reporter here ! )

And never trust a man with a beard or big hat.. he may be trying to hide something and chances are he will be a sneaky sod ( again apologise... again, merely the reporter ! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
I have a beard wear glasses and a baseball cap, and I know nothing about nothing, so rules me out.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
OK!

Why is it some men, when they reach a certain age, sport a beard (usually white).

I notice that almost always, an approaching MH, will have a man at the helm with a white beard. Why is that?

My dad always said, "beware of a man with a beard, hat, and glasses. He will pretend to know everything, about everything". I am beginning to know what he means.

Craig.

I don't know what you mean:ROFLMAO:Broken Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I resemble that remark...:Sad:

But still willing to learn... :Tongue1:::bigsmile:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
OK!

Craig.

Those seats aren't called captain seats for nothing.....grow the white beard, don the cap and hey presto!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Mmm? Is that not further proof that MH driving is generally the preserve of old men? I have often wondered why I rarely see a female driving a MH let alone a young one:whatthe:

Me? well I'll just throw away the shaver and put off the sex change op for the time being:Eeek:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A proper beard needs a lot of 'cultivation'.

Which is more than you can say for all the young men who shave their heads because its too much trouble to groom themselves. :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
OK!

Craig.

Sounds like it's time you grew a beard, bought a hat and popped out to spec savers:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have a beard that is going white (vowed never to shave after leaving the Army).
Glasses are only worn for reading or dark ones for keeping the sun out.
I collect baseball caps from wherever we have been (sad eh :Blush:), and wear a bushmans hat to keep the sun/weather off my head.

My wife refuses to drive the MH. Says it's far to big for her, but I think that's just an excuse to sit and relax.

I only know two things.
Nothing and bu**er all.

Do I qualify? ::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Mmm? Is that not further proof that MH driving is generally the preserve of old men? I have often wondered why I rarely see a female driving a MH let alone a young one:whatthe:

:Eeek:

Think you deffo need specsavers, Women who drive motorhomes are many in number not only when it is a couple but also as solo motorhomers - if i was you I would get a hard hat at the ready.

Thats what im the driver of in my avatar

maggie

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Think you deffo need specsavers, Women who drive motorhomes are many in number not only when it is a couple but also as solo motorhomers - if i was you I would get a hard hat at the ready.

Thats what im the driver of in my avatar

maggie

Hi Maggie, I'm not sure if you're being serious serious or tongue in cheek. I meant no offence, just stating a fact:Blush:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
GOT NO HAT OR BEARD. BUT I HAVE GOT A WIFE WHO DRIVES THE MOTORHOME.WHEN WE BOUGHT IT NEW I WAS TOLD " YOUR NOT GOING TO LET HER DRIVE THAT!!!" MY REPLY WAS "IT'S ONLY A MACHINE AND REPLACEABLE AND SHE HAS PASSED HER DRIVING TEST" THE BEST WAY TO LOOK AT IT IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF AN OLD FART LIKE ME HAD AN ACCIDENT OR HEART ATTACK IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE????? GET THE WOMAN BEHIND THE WHEEL AND SHAVE THEM BEARDS OFF YOU ONLY GROW THEM TO TO SAVE A BIT OF YOUR FOOD FOR LATER.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi Maggie, I'm not sure if you're being serious serious or tongue in cheek. I meant no offence, just stating a fact:Blush:

:Smile: no offense taken i assure you, its something i believe in that all drivers should be able to drive their choice of leisure vehicle - you never know whats round the corner. If something should happen to the main driver that is not the time for that first drive - especially when abroad its no good then thinking - i cant do this cos i have never done it.
So all you males should encourage your partners to have a drive or two to ensure that driving your motorhome would not be a major worry should they have to do it - and many once they have had a go really enjoy it, and being able to take turns in most cases makes the whole trip more enjoyable
Saying that though there are a fair few solo female drivers on here though who believe in standing up and being counted

Last edited:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have a beard, a full set, that once was very dark brown but now is what Sue calls salt and pepper. It was black with grey bits but now its mostly grey. I've had a beard for about 30 years now and if I say I think I'll shave it off I get told in no uncertain terms - 'no you won't'. But I want to know who lives in there!! Incidently, now I am getting on a bit, I do wear glasses and a baseball cap.

Hooray, I fit in:ROFLMAO:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
OK!

Craig.

My dad told me that when I was driving to beware of cars driven by men wearing flat caps, smoking a pipe and wearing "driving" gloves. And back in the day, those sheepskin coats ala John Motsen.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have never been to the IOM Craig so unless your dad came to England could not be talking about me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
My dad told me that when I was driving to beware of cars driven by men wearing flat caps, smoking a pipe and wearing "driving" gloves. And back in the day, those sheepskin coats ala John Motsen.

Actually we met the very bloke he was on about!

One Saturday night it was, circa 1968/9 coming back to Brum from the Manor Hotel at Meriden, probably at this sort of time of year. When we came out it was foggy. Very foggy. When we got to Stonebridge roundabout on the A45 the three cars said 'we'll go round here in convoy and someone volunterred to be first.

Well we all got round it and back home after all in one piece, but I'm not too sure about the chap driving the car whilst wearing a cloth cap, muffler and driving gloves whilst smoking his pipe - who we passed whilst we were going round the island anticlockwise as you do roujd these parts - COMING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION .......

:Eeek:

Renault Dauphine, one of the awful bright turquoise ones, if anyone's interested !

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I was taught to go around the roundabouts clockwise, but, hay ho, whatever floats your boat.

Craig

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
OK!

Craig.
Broken Link Removed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
ROFLMAO - O Bugger! - we've only just come back from France and I thought about it really carefully before saying anticlockwise!

Which is really daft cos only a couple of hours ago I was out driving about the streets of Coventry - on me own in the car - and going round islands clockwise just like what I meant! It was all ever so safe esp as some of em have several sets of traffic lights!

I'm convinced that night we all went the CORRECT way except the bloke.

:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back