Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Well i thought I was now educated on the laws, the weights, the european laws, the cars I can and can't tow etc, so based on that knowledge i have chosen the supplier and the car only to read on another suppliers web site that cab mounted controls are illegal...:whatthe: AAHHHHHH.
The one i was going for has such a control and there was no mention of it being questionable.
Does anyone have a system fitted by unibrake and know the score? :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would take any legal advice from someone trying to sell their product with a large sack of salt. I don't know the answer but hopefully someone will, if you're lucky without the usual endlessly reiterated stuff about the legality of A frames.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
There have been many many threads about the legality of A Frames including the future of A Frames and do not want to open another debate on them. I have the unibrake system and have not heard anything about any laws, apart from people's interpretations on here. I think it is a brilliant system. My personal view is that The unibrake system, being electronic, is probably one of the most compliant around and I will continue to use it until something definitive is published by the government that clearly states they are illegal. There is nothing at present to that effect, just count the number of MH's with A frames on the road. So, whatever system you go for you could, maybe, possibly sometime in the future come up against a yet to be defined legislation. Anyway, that is my view, it is no good worrying about something that might happen in the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Be a bugger if they make A frames legal and then Ban motorhomes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
There have been many many threads about the legality of A Frames including the future of A Frames and do not want to open another debate on them. I have the unibrake system and have not heard anything about any laws, apart from people's interpretations on here. I think it is a brilliant system. [HI]My personal view is that The unibrake system, being electronic, is probably one of the most compliant around[/HI] and I will continue to use it until something definitive is published by the government that clearly states they are illegal. There is nothing at present to that effect, just count the number of MH's with A frames on the road. So, whatever system you go for you could, maybe, possibly sometime in the future come up against a yet to be defined legislation. Anyway, that is my view, it is no good worrying about something that might happen in the future.

That is my view also so have chosen to go with it regardless. Surely a control in the cab is a bonus from a safety point of view?

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That is my view also so have chosen to go with it regardless. Surely a control in the cab is a bonus from a safety point of view?

Looking at this system myself as well as Smart Tow, leaning towards Smart at the moment, Control in the cab ,is it a good idea? fiddling as you drive.looks a bit ugly, where do they fit it ?:Smile:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Looking at this system myself as well as Smart Tow, leaning towards Smart at the moment, Control in the cab ,is it a good idea? fiddling as you drive.looks a bit ugly, where do they fit it ?:Smile:

Hi Snitrats, you do not touch the cab control at all during driving. Once it is set up it is only there in case of emergency. I have never had to touch it even under an emergency stop, hit the brakes in the MH and the toad brakes also lock on, so I am unsure what emergency situation you would need it, apart from any legislation issues where you may need to control the toad brakes remotely. I agree it is not the prettiest looking device and it has to be mounted within easy reach and sight of the driver, mine is mounted on the right hand side of the dash, and to be honest I don't hardly notice it. Apart from checking that the system light is on it also shows you the braking effort being applied to the toad. I never looked at Smart tow as I tow a Kia Picanto so cannot comment on that system.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Snitrats, you do not touch the cab control at all during driving. Once it is set up it is only there in case of emergency. I have never had to touch it even under an emergency stop, hit the brakes in the MH and the toad brakes also lock on, so I am unsure what emergency situation you would need it, apart from any legislation issues where you may need to control the toad brakes remotely. I agree it is not the prettiest looking device and it has to be mounted within easy reach and sight of the driver, mine is mounted on the right hand side of the dash, and to be honest I don't hardly notice it. Apart from checking that the system light is on it also shows you the braking effort being applied to the toad. I never looked at Smart tow as I tow a Kia Picanto so cannot comment on that system.
Should have said the main reason for the smart option is that they have a couple of fitting agents a lot closer to us than Unibrake, Can;t see the wife driving the Fiat Panda behind me all the way to East Sussex.::bigsmile:riving2:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Should have said the main reason for the smart option is that they have a couple of fitting agents a lot closer to us than Unibrake, Can;t see the wife driving the Fiat Panda behind me all the way to East Sussex.::bigsmile:riving2:

Whatever you choose I am sure you will enjoy the additional flexibility of having a car with you. I know I do. Good luck and happy toadying.!!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
O you are all so luky.

Wish we had an option to tow a car on A frame.

Totaly against the law here{Belgium} but there is talk it may come.

Within the next 60 years or so :Smile: well it takes the Belgium Goverment { when we have one} 5hat long to work out the details.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i use an a frame from armitage trailers works same as a normal towing hitch [caravan trailer etc] comes with instructions in a number of languages if it is to be proven an issue then so will all types of towing [ home and abroad ] cant beet mechanical movement in my [personnel ] view electronic are liable to malfunction,

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

mines legal got [h101 ] last year which is why i no longer speed or go into outside lane of motorway whilst towing my car behind,there is a reason for this action
middle lane 60mph in cruise lorry in fron decides to pull out easier to acelatrete by than try to pull up plain clothes police car got me pulling in on video lulling back in,paid up 3points £60 so consider why next time you come across a van and trailer cruising

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Cat amongst the pigeons - :Smile:

all A frames are legal ?? - :winky:

who's been prosecuted ?? - :RollEyes:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
i use an a frame from armitage trailers works same as a normal towing hitch [caravan trailer etc] comes with instructions in a number of languages if it is to be proven an issue then so will all types of towing [ home and abroad ] cant beet mechanical movement in my [HI] [personnel ] view electronic are liable to malfunction,
[/HI]

Hi, we had a A Frame 3 years ago, and the cable jammed and I only realised when I was going round a tight turn and noticed I had lost a wheel trim, It boiled the brake fluid and needed new pads, I was lucky it never caught fire.:Doh:

Unlike the member on here that had a A Frame fitted at armitage trailers, and his Smart caught fire on the way home, he was lucky to be able to get the car off before the motorhome went up in flames.:cry:

So I would not say cable was any safer than electric. :Smile: Bob.

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Smile: just keep on toading till some jobsworth tells you can"t do it any more:Doh:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I will never understand it. Thought the reason for owning a motorhome was to be free, not be shackled by towing. Either get a bike or buy a car and caravan. Must be a Macho thing... need to have the biggest longest rig on the road. Busby.

WORRY IS LIKE A ROCKING HORSE....IT GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO DO....BUT GETS YOU NOWHERE.:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I will never understand it. Thought the reason for owning a motorhome was to be free, not be shackled by towing. Either get a bike or buy a car and caravan. Must be a Macho thing... need to have the biggest longest rig on the road. Busby.

WORRY IS LIKE A ROCKING HORSE....IT GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO DO....BUT GETS YOU NOWHERE.:

Heres a quirky little notion...perhaps some motorhomers dont see it as being shackled and that a small car is not even noticable on the back end. As for being a macho thing and having the biggest longest rig on the road...........why would you even bother with such a ridiculous uncalled for comment? Especially as the thread came to an end two weeks ago :Eeek:

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
I totaly agree with Busby ,never understood this towing a car business, unless you run around in a huge american motorhome, you might as well get rid of the motorhome and get a caravan. At least then you are only paying one lot of road tax, and you wouldn`t have to worry about the legalaties of towing on an a frame. Sorry if it upsets the toad fraternity but thats just my opinion.:Smile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In reply to EMMENEY , I worked in road haulage all my life and you would not believe the amount of drivers who hated driving a 7.5 tonner in case their mates saw them. I think some would have driven a 13 metre artic for half the money Myself , a mini van would do as long as the wages were good. I would not have said that when i was 21 though. Needed to feel macho then. BUSBY.

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Smile: in france/spain its motorhome friendly i.e free aires no caravans , motorhomes come into own with a toad you only know is there by looking at reversing camara, in the uk cannot park there barriers here ! car towing caravan at least 25ft and if you were a hgv driver ! i don"t need to say any more:thumb: hgv class 1 now retired:thumb: ooh heck what have i said:Blush:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last year we had a good few members ( including Bryan, who assists with site admin ? ) nicked in Spain with a toad.. So not hearsay, not jungle drums.. People we all know personally have been done for it ( Bryan even showed me the ticket while we was down in Spain in January )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back