Is it me or is much of Spain scruffy (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have now come down the coast as far as Alicante and apart from coming for the weather,which incidently is crap today,is there anything else in its favour.

There is new build everywhere and lots and lots of land semi derelict that has had roads laid ready for new build.

What gets me is the amount of fly tipping that is evident everywhere.

Have I been spoiled with ten weeks in France which is almost immaculate?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Alan there are plenty of golf courses in that area so go and have a game:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for all the new builds and unfinished builds thing loads of companies have went burst my brother has an apartment in Murcia area that he paid over 100k Euros and now selling same one for 46k due to company going burst and all owned by bank now. Think it really shows the effects of the recession.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
when i was there i likened it to being in a quarry very dry not much vegitation and no cattle or sheep roaming around in fields,but that's down to the climate,i also noticed that there is alot of unfinished project's,put that down to the fact spain is skint:Doh:
still love the country though:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You can generally tell your in Spain 100 yards over the border without looking at the signs. Years ago I used to watch them clear ground and dump everything in the next field. Then come along a year later and move it all along another field, and so on and so on. They never clear there rubbish up, just move it from one field to another. I always said that if the winters were kinder in France, I would gladly pay the extra beer prices and not bother with Spain.
We drove along the coast rd from Murcia going north for about 200 kms and there was whole towns empty, like ghost towns, half finished with no one living in them.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No its not just you we feel exactly the same hence my recent comment about so called Spanish aires being either bits of worn out old concrete or glorified Itinerant camps.

We've just got back from 5 or 6 weeks away half in Spain half in France. Although the weather was nice in Spain and we did enjoy ourselves it was a lovelly to get back to France a much nicer country I think. If it was'nt for the weather I personally would never visit Spain but it is nice to have a bit of winter sunshine::bigsmile: so I expect I'll keep going back:winky:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We much prefer Portugal for the very reasons stated here, the Portuguese are a little better at clearing up but the recession was in evidence last year.

At least they don't cover all the coastal areas with plastic greenhouses like you see along large areas of the Med. coast in Spain.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We have now come down the coast as far as Alicante and apart from coming for the weather,which incidently is crap today,is there anything else in its favour.

There is new build everywhere and lots and lots of land semi derelict that has had roads laid ready for new build.

What gets me is the amount of fly tipping that is evident everywhere.

Have I been spoiled with ten weeks in France which is almost immaculate?

Alan you are correct you had been spoilt in France....and those are our very same word's ..:Doh: when we arrived in Spain......your title heading....But they have the sun most of the time...this is what people go for, sit the winter out

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Alan you are correct you had been spoilt in France....and those are our very same word's ..:Doh: when we arrived in Spain......your title heading....But they have the sun most of the time...this is what people go for,
[HI]sit the winter out[/HI]
Winter in the UK is delightful why travel all that way just for a bit of sun. I no understand. :Cool:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Winter in the UK is delightful why travel all that way just for a bit of sun. I no understand. :Cool:

Buttons:Doh:........Mmmmm..words fail me... it seems you.... as you put it "I no understand"
sleeping-and-dreaming-smiley-emoticon.gif
..Zzzzzzzz:yawn:Zzzzzzzz
sleeping-smiley-face.gif
:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
When we were deciding where to live when we retired, we thought we'd like Spain for the warmth, so off we went to look for a suitable place. For all the reasons given in previous posts we decided that we'd much rather live in France, and are now very grateful that we avoided buying there when we bought the land to construct Parc Verger here in France.
The local French folk, including our Maire, welcomed us with open arms, and whereas we know of one prospective campsite in Spain that has been held up for ten years and still no permission, we've been open for six years.
OK, we may not have the warmth of the winter in Spain, but the Limousin is so beautiful in comparison that it more than makes up for it.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Likewise

Like you ParcVerger, I went to Spain 8 yrs ago when I retired to visit my sister in law with a view of buying in La Marina south of Alicanti. Thankfully we didn't as La Marina is a ghost town.
Stayed at Park verger a few times Must pop in again

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Did a motorcycle tour a few years ago from Bordeaux with a plan to go to Pamplona and through Spain along the Pyrennean border area but every day I entered Spain I couldn't help but wish I was was back on the French side of the Pyrenees so ended up zig-zagging along the hills but always went back into France to camp over night as Spain seemed scruffy as mentioned - especially compared to the French side. The best place in Spain was less likeable than the worst place in France so never ventured further than 100 km's into Spain.
Later did a trip into the much-rated Spanish interior - Hm! - hot, dry ,quiet and still scruffy. Nice and more social than the coastal towns but compared to the variety and welcome in France it holds little desire for me - but each to their own.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Yep . . . . Spain has only one thing going for it, the sun, and thats been sadly lacking this last week or two.:Angry:

Oh dear here we go people that do not know Spain...spend just a winter...dont mix with the Spanish people, telling me that Spain is rubbish....sorry except the sun.

Well I have lived in Spain, not years ago..NOW and I dont live in the little English Spain that the dear old English have made there own. If you want to talk about English Spain then I couldnt agree more, but that aint Spain!!!

Forget the Costa forget the lovley little Campsite, you know the place that sells cheap beer, oh and of course just down the road we can get an English roast beef dinner, oh! and not to forget all the English go to the little cafe run by a bloke from Barnsley who does a wonderful English breakfast and then tell me just what is wrong with Spain, cos you aint got any idea about proper Spain.

Well that should get this thread fired up :thumb:

Night all:winky:

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Oh dear here we go people that do not know Spain...spend just a winter...dont mix with the Spanish people, telling me that Spain is rubbish....sorry except the sun.

I doubt it will get the thread fired up - I think most posters agree with your point that beech-Spain isn't the real Spain. But having been all though Spain - interior, beeches, Islands, mountains, etc, I agree with the poster original point in that it is scruffy (which you do not respond to) and compared to it's neighbour France it doesn't compare favorably.

But at the end of the day, each country has their own good and bad - but scruffy is scruffy.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
you should remember that Spain was ruled with the iron fist of the fascist dictator------Franco, until 1975
I don't think this type of government are good at teaching a clean/tidy environment--------------------I think the sudden change of government really cashed-in on tourism--------------------------------then the Global crash---------it has been quite a journey from Communism:Sad:-----------------------------------------------------AND NOW they have got EU to work around:cry:

I am not at-all fond of the tourist areas----we avoid them in favor of inland areas::bigsmile:
I know a lot of people hate the plastic 'greenhouses'----but at least these people are WORKING for a living-----and Brits are happy to buy cheap produce from these places::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
That is how we see it:Cool:

For people that really can't accept Spain as it is------Portugal is next door:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:-----------------------BUT the beach areas of the Algarve are already crowded:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Nigel & Pamala

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I doubt it will get the thread fired up - I think most posters agree with your point that beech-Spain isn't the real Spain. But having been all though Spain - interior, beeches, Islands, mountains, etc, I agree with the poster original point in that it is scruffy (which you do not respond to) and compared to it's neighbour France it doesn't compare favorably.

But at the end of the day, each country has their own good and bad - but scruffy is scruffy.

Sorry you are right it is a bit scruffy, but to say the only good thing about Spain is the sun (and that's what I was really responding to) is from somebody that does not know Spain. That was the point I was trying to make, yes France is not so scruffy and it may well be a "better" Country, I don't have a problem with that statement. If you look at the thread, most of them are from people that have travelled through, or visited for a few weeks, then judge the country as the ONLY good thing is the sun.

Try living in a country before making such a sweeping statement.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
It is as I said, we are on the coast at seaside towns so we compare like with like i.e. the Blackpools of this world and they are much worse.
What we have is what we expected. :Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
so what are you saying that spain is scruffy lol

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
We live in the Limousin so if we compare to that ohhh yesss but to be fair we found Spain not all that bad. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love Spain, especially real Spain.

About 20 years ago I rented a villa in the mountains above Malaga. The only civilisation was a small town about a mile away that had a tiny bar and restaurant.

We all trooped into this place regularly. They spoke no English and the 8 of us spoke a teeny bit of Spanish. The owners and the locals were lovely. For every 2 rounds of drinks we bought, they bought us one. We also ate there a lot and a lovely young waitress served us every time. On our last night we gave her a decent tip as a thank you - about ÂŁ40 I think. Her shrieks of delight from the kitchen could be heard as we walked away.

We returned to the area about 5 years ago and the Chelsea tractor brigade had moved in. Completely ruined:Angry:

I can't remember the name of the village now but it was about 10 miles from Ronda which itself is nothing like it was.

Tourism has completely ruined great swathes of Spain.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I love Spain, especially real Spain.

About 20 years ago I rented a villa in the mountains above Malaga. The only civilisation was a small town about a mile away that had a tiny bar and restaurant.

We all trooped into this place regularly. They spoke no English and the 8 of us spoke a teeny bit of Spanish. The owners and the locals were lovely. For every 2 rounds of drinks we bought, they bought us one. We also ate there a lot and a lovely young waitress served us every time. On our last night we gave her a decent tip as a thank you - about ÂŁ40 I think. Her shrieks of delight from the kitchen could be heard as we walked away.

We returned to the area about 5 years ago and the Chelsea tractor brigade had moved in. Completely ruined:Angry:

I can't remember the name of the village now but it was about 10 miles from Ronda which itself is nothing like it was.

Tourism has completely ruined great swathes of Spain.

Now that what I meant, the "Chelsea tractor" -English move in and change Spain, then some of the people that say "The only thing Spain has going for it is sun" have driven through it, or stayed for a winter, or once drove through from France ventured in above 10 foot in a motorhome went back to France and then give this " I think Spain is Blah! Blah!.

Its a bit like saying the only good thing about the UK is that the grass is green,.....and we could all name loads of other things, like.....EEERRrrrrr, no no dont prompt me:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
After frying in Spain last summer, the best thing about the UK is ..the weather::bigsmile:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
you should remember that Spain was ruled with the iron fist of the fascist dictator------Franco, until 1975
I don't think this type of government are good at teaching a clean/tidy environment--------------------I think the sudden change of government really cashed-in on tourism--------------------------------then the Global crash---------it has been quite a journey from Communism:Sad:-----------------------------------------------------AND NOW they have got EU to work around:cry:

I am not at-all fond of the tourist areas----we avoid them in favor of inland areas::bigsmile:
I know a lot of people hate the plastic 'greenhouses'----but at least these people are WORKING for a living-----and Brits are happy to buy cheap produce from these places::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
That is how we see it:Cool:

For people that really can't accept Spain as it is------Portugal is next door:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:-----------------------BUT the beach areas of the Algarve are already crowded:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Nigel & Pamala

Totally agree Nigel and Pamala! :thumb:

Well I have lived in Spain, not years ago..NOW and I dont live in the little English Spain that the dear old English have made there own. If you want to talk about English Spain then I couldnt agree more, but that aint Spain!!!

Forget the Costa forget the lovley little Campsite, you know the place that sells cheap beer, oh and of course just down the road we can get an English roast beef dinner, oh! and not to forget all the English go to the little cafe run by a bloke from Barnsley who does a wonderful English breakfast and then tell me just what is wrong with Spain, cos you aint got any idea about proper Spain.

Come to the Costa de la Luz! It's green and quiet - you can't get English beer or breakfasts! Beautiful area with very friendly locals ( who don't speak much English). OK so we get more rain than Benidorm and Almeria - that's what makes it green!

On second thoughts - please don't come - we like it as quiet as it is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Totally agree Nigel and Pamala! :thumb:

Come to the Costa de la Luz! It's green and quiet - you can't get English beer or breakfasts! Beautiful area with very friendly locals ( who don't speak much English). OK so we get more rain than Benidorm and Almeria - that's what makes it green!

On second thoughts - please don't come - we like it as quiet as it is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whatcha mean come to the Costa de la Luz..... I'm in it....Like NOW...:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back