Waste totes and sewer connections (1 Viewer)

Maverick355

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Preston, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi everyone,

We finally got our 5er, a 2007 Sabre, and we love it! Currently its on a site (was there when we bought it) and so havent had to move it yet or use another site.

The site it is on has a permanent sewer waste point for the pitch, so I just leave the dump line attached (leave tanks closed and empty when necessary) but it has ocurred to me that maybe not all sites have this facility. I know some only have a communal dump point. So I have a few questions for you all:

1) How common is it for sites to have individual waste points for each pitch (super pitches anyway, the 5er is 34 foot long)?
2) If you have to use a communal dump point, do you use a black waste tote or is the black tank usually sufficient for 3-4 days camping?
2a) I assume you would need a tote for the grey waste at least?...
3) If youre at a site with communal dump point and can last your stay without needing a tote, how much of a problem is it when its time to dump and leave the site? I assume there are a lot of people trying to do the same and a large 5er is going to take up some room (assuming you can get close enough!)

We are subscribers to the Big Pitch Guide, which is great but not all the sites show the availability of pitch side dump points.

What do you guys do?....

Cheers,
Simon

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have come across very few with individual sewage disposals.
I am fond of a macerator and sufficient hose to dispose of the waste. Never a problem.
On site we can last up to a week, without emptying, and empty when leaving, or as i have done in the past, hooked up the macerator and have been able to dump the waste without moving if there is a suitable manhole with permission of the site owners.
Usually i draw alongside the waste dump on leaving. had no problems so far.

Craig

Deleted User
I would agree with Simsy and his methods for disposal that obviously work for the way that he uses his 5er.
We may not be typical in that we always use sites and use the site facilities most of the time so do not have large quantities of waste to dispose of so our methods differ. When we bought the 5er we obtained a 18 gal four wheeled 'tote' and found this a total waste of time and space.Most waste disposal points are not ground level and lifting the thing when even part full is nigh on impossible, I have seen people emptying these things into ground level surface water drains !!
Our solution was to obtain a 3" to 11/2" adaptor with an 18" length of hose for the waste outlet and use an old aquaroll left over from vanning days, using the grey water for flushing the system. This system works for us as we don't have large volumes, I usually empty every 2 or 3 days, the 3" flexible hose has been stowed in the rear bumper for the last 4 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hocky54

Free Member
Feb 6, 2011
Lowestoft Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel Dutchmen Denali
Exp
Hi everyone,

We finally got our 5er, a 2007 Sabre, and we love it! Currently its on a site (was there when we bought it) and so havent had to move it yet or use another site.

The site it is on has a permanent sewer waste point for the pitch, so I just leave the dump line attached (leave tanks closed and empty when necessary) but it has ocurred to me that maybe not all sites have this facility. I know some only have a communal dump point. So I have a few questions for you all:

1) How common is it for sites to have individual waste points for each pitch (super pitches anyway, the 5er is 34 foot long)?
2) If you have to use a communal dump point, do you use a black waste tote or is the black tank usually sufficient for 3-4 days camping?
3) If youre at a site with communal dump point and can last your stay without needing a tote, how much of a problem is it when its time to dump and leave the site? I assume there are a lot of people trying to do the same and a large 5er is going to take up some room (assuming you can get close enough!)

We are subscribers to the Big Pitch Guide, which is great but not all the sites show the availability of pitch side dump points.

What do you guys do?....

Cheers,
Simon

To answer your many questions Simon,

1] for your size of 5er you will have to look at the big pitch guide for sites, as most sites ( correct me if I'm wrong) only accept up to 30ft or 9m vans.
2] With my 5er I empty the tanks with a 25gal tote (used for both black and grey) every 3-4 days, as again on most sites you do not get super pitches.
3] Most sites these days have a motorhome dump point, but with a 5er of that length you may have dificulties getting close enough to dump or end up having to use a long hose, also our dump points are on the other side to euroboxes etc.

So yes it would be advisable to get a tote, and yes a good one costs around £250.

Hope this helps

Julian :thumb:

Montana16

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
West Lindsey, Lincs
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,
We also have a Sabre, for 2 years now, and we have not had a problem. I would agree with Craig. We use CC sites, Show ground camping and others from the BPG and we just pull up to the dump point when leaving. We tend to use all of our on board facilities but the tanks are big enough. If the black tank was full than i would just pull round to the dump point. Again i have even emptied the grey and traveled home with the black tank fairly full. I do this with a couple of cheap bottles of coke down the loo just as we leave site. this has the effect of cleaning the black tank , so when home just dump into my sewer point at home.
Don't worry just enjoy.

Dave.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi this is what we've been doing for the last 5 years.

It is very uncommon and sometimes if there is a waste point on the pitch it's only for grey.

The guy who had the 5er before us had adapted a 25 ltr container with proper couplings on it so the waste can be emptied into it using the pipe. We use this every couple of days when we are at our seasonal pitch as it's easier than keep moving the 5er. It's also much easier/lighter to handle when emptying into dump points which are not at ground level.

Our grey waste waters the trees/hedges. We clean all crockery etc before washing with kitchen roll so our grey water is always clean.

Depends on access to the dump. If possible we empty before we leave or take it back to our site and empty there into a manhole.

Gill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
many elsan points are well above ground level so a large tote could be a problem lifting to the sluice.

an option may be to ask the site owner/warden if there is a main sewer manhole you can dump into after explaining you dont use chemicals.
Oswestry C&CC site manager agreed to this last time i was there.

i'm sure many would agree as it means 30 or 40 gallons less in their own storage/processing tank for them to pay to have emptied.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
it depends on the type of site you stay on-------------we have found that with a 3" hose (in the rear bumper) ---a macerator with a decent length of hose (if you use lay-flat, a piece of ordinary hose on each end stops kinking)-----and a 3" sewer cap with a 1/2" fitting (to drain grey into hedges etc--with permission) and a tote (ours is about 10 gal. --quite enough shit to lift to a higher dump:Sad:)-------------------we have managed to cover all situations--so far:winky:
It is good NOT to use the macerator all the time as with the 3" hose you get a good WHOOSH------this drains more 'solids' out of the tank:winky::winky:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
M

Maverick355

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Preston, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Wow, thanks for all the replies - I didnt think there would need to be so many things to consider....!

Im going to cover the 'many' options route I think, like Nigel & Pamela, but by making my own tote, like Gill said (Im pretty sure I can do this, have access to 25l polythene containers).

Most interesting thing I didnt know was that the dump point can be above ground (makes sense I suppose if emptying into a holding tank). That would be impossible anyway by just using the pipe from the 5er (I assume it would be higher than the black tank), so Im really glad I asked!

Simon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back