Hello all need some solid advice please (1 Viewer)

what possessed me

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
herts
Funster No
MH
private hgv conversion
Exp
Recently entered the motorhome world by way of a converted HGV i am now beginning to discover the very confusing area of what is what and what is not !

The vehicle is a Ford Iveco 75 Cargo E14 1997 . The gvw is 4tons and the weight for carrying is 7.5tons , the entire rear box is converted to living quarters apart from a small boot . When i purchased the vehicle it was taxed as a HGV but the MOT was a class 4 stating motorhome the V5 read HGV and underneath also said van with windows . I took it along to a friend who owns a MOT station he says the MOT was correct as any vehicle with windows and living quarters etc qualify for a class 4 mot regardless of weight . He wasnt sure about the seatbelts the vehicle has never been fitted with them as an HGV but htinks under class4 rules it will now need them though this hasnt been picked up on in previous MOT tests and hence passed

Anyway recently i went to tax the vehicle and ran into some confusion as i handed over my documents insurance v5 tax reminder etc the clerk stated that the vehicle needed a valid goods vehicle MOT . I said that it had a valid MOT under the class 4 rule . She said she was not happy with this and said that the computer would probably reject my request . It didnt and she issued me an HGV tax disc this got me thinking to just how grey this legislation is and to be honest i became concerned at the thought of say being stopped by VOSA or the police as it seemed there was no real understanding of what is what .

So i decided to contact the DVLA they told me that if wanted to register the vehicle as a Motorhome i needed to attend my local office and fill out a v70 stating this also to take photos of the vehicle including the reg and living quarters . I did this and the clerk at the DVLA said the vehicle would fall into the category of motorhome on chassis but private hgv on taxation class . She took my new HGV tax disc off me and replaced it with a new tax disc which said private HGV . I am now waiting for the amended v5 to arrive

Can anyone please tell me if am required to use the tacho in the cab or is this exempt ? After all the vehicle is MOTd as Motorhome on a class 4 right ?

Is there a difference between private hgv and private hgv motorhome ?

I was told that all hgv conversions come under private HGV by the dvla but that the chassis type changes to motorhome if they are satisfied with the photos if not then a inspection maybe required is this correct ?

I seem to own a vehicle that doesnt entirely fit into any category i was looking at the old tax discs and note in 2008 it was taxed as a special vehicle ??

Please advise ? Lol pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/88344164@N07/

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
DVLA are correct, when I built mine I went to the local office with the photo's they filled the forms in and about a fortnight later I had the new V5 (logbook) with body type stated as Motorhome. the taxation class becomes private heavy goods vehicle (around £160 per year) once you have the motorhome bit on the logbook you then qualify for the class 4 mot (same as a car) the main problem is finding a testing station that can fit you in obviously most standard class 4 stations are designed for cars, I went to the local VOSA testing station they couldn't do it straight away so sent me to a place that does the testing for all the local buses and council vehicles.
Note though before heading off to your local office with you pictures check through the section on changing vehicle type/ motorhomes as certain specifications have to be met to get it classed as a motorhome.If the vehicle dosn't meet thier requirements they will then call it a van with windows, bear in mind as well as the othe specs they now stipulate that the vehicle has to be recognisable from the outside as a motorhome....Mark

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Just had a look at your pictures looks pretty good to me, didn't notice a table though and one of the specs they ask for is a table that must either be able to fix to a sidewall or fixed unit or by a fixing to the floor, can't see you having a problem getting the V5 changed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
There is+ no requirment for you to use the tacho despite it being fitted,neither do you have to have it calibrated.It must however work as a speedo.
I would suggest, reading between the lines that your converion was originanly meant to be a horse box with living accomodation, but as so many have found after building on 7.5 ton chassis once completed they are over the 7.5 ton when empty and therefore unable to carry any horses.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I have seen people spend in excess of £70000
on such conversions,with unscrupulous builders only to find their pride and joy was totaly illegal even empty. so enjoy what someone else probably paid a fortune not to get.

regards
Steve:thumb:

+

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
mine was built to transport livestock of a criminal nature ::bigsmile:, when I got it it was still complete and had an unladen weight of 6300 kg, once I had stripped it and built it and got it fully loaded it weighs in at 6100 with about a quarter tank of fuel, still plenty of payload spare.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Apply for an exemption cert for the tacho, if the vehicle is now classed as a PHGV and will not be used commercially

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I had a Chaussom 3.5 ton, Taxed has PLG I upped the weight via V tech in Leyland, to 3.7 ton gross it was then taxed PHG, no prop ,s on taxing , even got a rebate when I first changed it. Nice MH you got there and welcome . Pete

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi nice conversion you have bought :thumb: I must be the only one to notice the xtream racing on the back ::bigsmile: telling me it was a racing transport vehicle.The DVLA usually state motor caravan on the V5 :winky:If your vehicle wasn't made with seatbelts then none are required
Enjoy
Terry

OP
OP
W

what possessed me

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
herts
Funster No
MH
private hgv conversion
Exp
Just had a look at your pictures looks pretty good to me, didn't notice a table though and one of the specs they ask for is a table that must either be able to fix to a sidewall or fixed unit or by a fixing to the floor, can't see you having a problem getting the V5 changed

Yeah was just thinking that it does have a table but its a foldaway ive got a feeling it will come back on the v5 van with windows again ....still just have too get table and try again either that or photoshop lol:winky:

Cheers for the advice :thumb:

OP
OP
W

what possessed me

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
herts
Funster No
MH
private hgv conversion
Exp
Hi
I had a Chaussom 3.5 ton, Taxed has PLG I upped the weight via V tech in Leyland, to 3.7 ton gross it was then taxed PHG, no prop ,s on taxing , even got a rebate when I first changed it. Nice MH you got there and welcome . Pete

Thanks thinking of dropping the raised bed down as the boot isnt really used now maybe even put bunk beds in for extra space , just have to find somewhere for the genny . I think the leisure batteries are over the hill now as they charge but dont hold it for long .

OP
OP
W

what possessed me

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
herts
Funster No
MH
private hgv conversion
Exp
DVLA are correct, when I built mine I went to the local office with the photo's they filled the forms in and about a fortnight later I had the new V5 (logbook) with body type stated as Motorhome. the taxation class becomes private heavy goods vehicle (around £160 per year) once you have the motorhome bit on the logbook you then qualify for the class 4 mot (same as a car) the main problem is finding a testing station that can fit you in obviously most standard class 4 stations are designed for cars, I went to the local VOSA testing station they couldn't do it straight away so sent me to a place that does the testing for all the local buses and council vehicles.
Note though before heading off to your local office with you pictures check through the section on changing vehicle type/ motorhomes as certain specifications have to be met to get it classed as a motorhome.If the vehicle dosn't meet thier requirements they will then call it a van with windows, bear in mind as well as the othe specs they now stipulate that the vehicle has to be recognisable from the outside as a motorhome....Mark

Tell me do you use soley a generator or use leisure batteries aswell , mine has leisure batteries but can only be charged of 240 hook up by generator or mains thus they tend to get rather flat . I was wondering iif you could drop the voltage down off the lorry alternator from 24 to 12 volts is there an easy way of doing this ive seen 24 volts to 12 converters in truckstops is this what i need ?

I purchased two small solar panels that stick in the windows but they dont seem upto the job ?

Wish id got the E17 the E14 is somewhat lacking in power delivery :Doh:bless her though once she gets going its ok is the E17 still a 4litre lump ?

OP
OP
W

what possessed me

Free Member
Nov 6, 2012
herts
Funster No
MH
private hgv conversion
Exp
Apply for an exemption cert for the tacho, if the vehicle is now classed as a PHGV and will not be used commercially

Yes ive heard of this but isnt that then limited to 60km ? Also and this is where i get somewhat vague isnt this more applicable to the purer form of PHGV in other words simply a lorry privately owned and not used for commercial use . I have read the these are now affected by a legislation since 2008 where they are required to have tachos calibrated and in use and adhere to the driving hours directive , this is why i question if this also applies to PHGV /MOTORHOMES . I presume the difference is that a "motorhome PHGV" falls into cat 4 on the MOT where a Phgv Lorry still needs a cat 7 MOT therefore there is a recognisable difference between the 2 ?? lol bloody nightmare isnt it ?:Doh:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Yes ive heard of this but isnt that then limited to 60km ? Also and this is where i get somewhat vague isnt this more applicable to the purer form of PHGV in other words simply a lorry privately owned and not used for commercial use . I have read the these are now affected by a legislation since 2008 where they are required to have tachos calibrated and in use and adhere to the driving hours directive , this is why i question if this also applies to PHGV /MOTORHOMES . I presume the difference is that a "motorhome PHGV" falls into cat 4 on the MOT where a Phgv Lorry still needs a cat 7 MOT therefore there is a recognisable difference between the 2 ?? lol bloody nightmare isnt it ?:Doh:

You see my avatar, Vosa are trying via the back door to insist that trucks like mine have a hgv test because of the 5th wheel, which we use for the van connection even though it is just for leisure and they have said that an exemption cert would apply with regard to the tacho.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Pretty sure that once you get your vehicle classed as a motorhome with DVLA you will not be required to use the tacho, you don't have to apply for an exemption as far as I'm aware, infact if you already have a speed limiter fitted this can also be done away with , techically you will just be driving a private car. If you are unsure of anything just contact your local VOSA office they are normally pretty helpfull.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi i would lose any mention of racing on the outside as that tends to say carrying goods or burden . you should have no bother . nobody really cares about the tacho. but dont get caught with loads m,bikes in the back .one is about all else its a burden .
they will play with words . but all my mates run similar tryucks . get it motorcaravan on log book .those pics do it but get rid of the racing logo.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Just a thought put up a new post titled My Truck conversion vwalan will soon notice it and he's the man to speak to about all things DVLA and VOSA

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
I knew you would sniff another truck conversion out Alan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
only just .on way ferry tomorrow spain here we come . if you miss me i may get free wifi .but if not have a good xmas all of you .see you next year .wwwhhhhppppeeee.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

if mot [etc], is grey area what about insurance,peace of mind is having nothing to worry about: Eeek:

There is+ no requirment for you to use the tacho despite it being fitted,neither do you have to have it calibrated.It must however work as a speedo.
I would suggest, reading between the lines that your converion was originanly meant to be a horse box with living accomodation, but as so many have found after building on 7.5 ton chassis once completed they are over the 7.5 ton when empty and therefore unable to carry any horses.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I have seen people spend in excess of £70000
on such conversions,with unscrupulous builders only to find their pride and joy was totaly illegal even empty. so enjoy what someone else probably paid a fortune not to get.

regards
Steve:thumb:

+

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
should be mo problem getting it as a motor home ,then its class4 mot and you just get insurance fairly easy .saga safeguard .coop. adrian flux loads will do it try camptons they do m,homes as well as 5ers . cant see a problem .
there arent any grey areas. everything is explained easily .

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi i would lose any mention of racing on the outside as that tends to say carrying goods or burden . you should have no bother . nobody really cares about the tacho. but dont get caught with loads m,bikes in the back .one is about all else its a burden .
they will play with words . but all my mates run similar tryucks . get it motorcaravan on log book .those pics do it but get rid of the racing logo.

Come on Alan, you know better than that mate.

anything carried that isnt immediately necessary to using a motorhome becomes cargo/load/burden.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they will allow one as far as i,m told but they dont like racetrucks .
in ireland it seems they allow two.
but i would definately lose that racing bit.
rest seems ok .
actually looks like you cant get one in anyway.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back