Internet Access while travelling (1 Viewer)

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Morning all. I am seeking advice/Info regarding access while in Europe. We have mobile internet via a MIFI at home (Britain) but don't know if it will work in, say France, or if we would need to get a French sim for the MIFI. Can anyone advise please.
Thanks, Bill & Sue

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Rather depends on how you want to use the internet.

If you only mean France and only want to pick up the odd email or two then a lot of folk use the free wi-fi at MacDonalds.

If you want more regular and heavier use then you need to throw money at it for sims and dongles etc... And in France that means quite a lot of it!

When I am away from Portugal I hunt for stray wiF-fi hotspots... Libraries, town centres, some restaurants, hotels and bars etc.

A wi-fi signal amplifier has improved my chances of success in these cases.

Then, of course, I understand some campsites have wi-fi...

JJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
enery8

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Thank you for the info JJ, I will need to look out for a wifi signal amplifier. I did see a wifi antenna recently on youtube but thought it was a bit far fetched::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you for the info JJ, I will need to look out for a wifi signal amplifier. I did see a wifi antenna recently on youtube but thought it was a bit far fetched::bigsmile:

A Funster has a business selling these amplifiers...

Some one will be along soon and give you the info...

but I use this one from Amazon...

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/TurboTenna-NextG-USB-Yagi-Antenna-2200mW/dp/B003X8DOBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352210545&sr=8-1"]TurboTenna NextG USB-Yagi High Power WiFi Antenna 2200mW: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products[/ame]

JJ

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Couple of threads on the subject with useful info. :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have a MIFI mobile router which we use at home and in the van for internet access. We have just returned from France and Spain we were touring for 5 / 6 weeks. Before we left I checked with provider if I had international roaming and was assured I did, however as soon as I crossed the channel it refused to work and remained that way until we returned. Have'nt had the chance to speak to them yet but was very dissapointed.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a T-Mobile dongle that will work in France etc at a cost. The cost at €35 for 30 days is quite reasonable, but there is so much wifi around that it wouldn't be used every day. My Vodaphone Iphone can also connect at €3 a day which is cheaper than some site wifi, though a lot is free and so I make use of it if it's there.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
AS JJ has pointed out, free wifi is available in France, from places like Macdonalds and campsites like ours, Parc Verger in the Limousin. We're in the process of upgrading our wifi so that it will be available from every pitch - at present there is one area where reception is not good without one of the booster aerials that have also be mentioned above, and we want everyone who stays here to have the benefit of it.::bigsmile:
So come on over to France - it is a beautiful country and there is so much to see.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back