how much to upgrade engine (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Went to the Motor home show yesterday, was rather taken by the Dethleffs Alpa, came as standard with a 2.3 Fiat 130bhp engine, to upgrade they wanted another £2640.00, the sales guy wasn`t too impressed when I burst out laughing.
How can you justify that I asked when other dealers are asking £1000.00 less for the same upgrade.
He didn`t really have an answer.

Can anyone suggest why Dethleffs are that much more expensive, than say Auto trail for the same upgrade.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
So only £800.00 more expensive then Peter, that`s a hell of a lot more for the same thing don`t you think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Rob I am sure if you had convinced him you were going to buy you could have got a better price :thumb:As it was he probably thought you were a tyre kicker ::bigsmile:
terry

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Went to the Motor home show yesterday, was rather taken by the Dethleffs Alpa, came as standard with a 2.3 Fiat 130bhp engine, to upgrade they wanted another £2640.00, the sales guy wasn`t too impressed when I burst out laughing.
How can you justify that I asked when other dealers are asking £1000.00 less for the same upgrade.
He didn`t really have an answer.

Can anyone suggest why Dethleffs are that much more expensive, than say Auto trail for the same upgrade.

Get a remap for more power, you will prob find it can be chipped to almost the same torque and hp as the better engine.

mickcope

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Has anyone has a Remap done on a Ford transit? Is it worth it - can you feel much difference? Any downsides with having it done?

ta

Mick

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Hi Rob I am sure if you had convinced him you were going to buy you could have got a better price :thumb:As it was he probably thought you were a tyre kicker ::bigsmile:
terry

That`ll be it !! :Doh:

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Get a remap for more power, you will prob find it can be chipped to almost the same torque and hp as the better engine.

Now that was mentioned as you can upgrade from the standard 130 bhp to 150 bhp I said surely that`s just remapping the engine not a different unit.
Oh I`m not sure said the saleman, probably as it only costs £949.00.
My answer was I`ll probably get that done myself.

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
ford transit Re-map

Has anyone has a Remap done on a Ford transit? Is it worth it - can you feel much difference? Any downsides with having it done?

ta

Mick

Had my 2008 Flash 03 transit 140bhp, remap 3 days ago .....now 170 bhp but the increase in torque 350 up to now 410nm pulls in gears ...BIG difference. When the turbo kicks in ,so much more flexible in staying in the gear in cruise even when quite a gradient change .
Will report back with any extra/less use of fuel .......any questions please feel free to reply Kim :Smile:

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Get remap done, approx £250, plus £750 for a new clutch.

weve just remapped 1000's of vans over the last few months and as far as im aware none have needed a clutch, would depend how you drive but most difff is in going up hills in say 4th gear, modern vehicles are over engineered and tend to cope with upgrades very well.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
There are post's that indicate that clutches can be a casualty of a remap, it was certainly the case with us, where a van with only 28000 on the clock required a clutch , and only showed indications of needing one AFTER a remap.
We used a well established and trusted company (WOW Tuning, who we would use again), and i have been around remapping landrovers for years (bell auto services), so went into it with eyes wide open, but that does not alter the FACT, that many people who have a remap, then find they need a new clutch.
It could be that the remap shows up a weak clutch, it could be the driver not adapting his/her driving style or it could be an unsuitable remap.

Pne point I would like to make, is that there is a big difference between drivers, and this may make a difference to the decision whether to remap or not.
Someone who is new to driving larger vehicles, especially those that run at, or near their max weight,..may be expecting too much from the vehicle. A commericial driver, when approaching an incline, will reach a speed/gear that maintains progress without stressing himself or the engine, ...and say there!
A less experienced driver, will be stirring the gearstick trying to increase the speed/lower the revs etc.

The vehicle we had remapped, was a Ducato 2.8jtd, we replaced it with a Ducato 2.8jtd and drove around Portugal this summer.......probaly a couple more gear changes, might have been a tad slower, but that focussed my mind on weight..........but certainly no clutch issues.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There are post's that indicate that clutches can be a casualty of a remap, it was certainly the case with us, where a van with only 28000 on the clock required a clutch , and only showed indications of needing one AFTER a remap.
We used a well established and trusted company (WOW Tuning, who we would use again), and i have been around remapping landrovers for years (bell auto services), so went into it with eyes wide open, but that does not alter the FACT, that many people who have a remap, then find they need a new clutch.
It could be that the remap shows up a weak clutch, it could be the driver not adapting his/her driving style or it could be an unsuitable remap.

Pne point I would like to make, is that there is a big difference between drivers, and this may make a difference to the decision whether to remap or not.
Someone who is new to driving larger vehicles, especially those that run at, or near their max weight,..may be expecting too much from the vehicle. A commericial driver, when approaching an incline, will reach a speed/gear that maintains progress without stressing himself or the engine, ...and say there!
A less experienced driver, will be stirring the gearstick trying to increase the speed/lower the revs etc.

The vehicle we had remapped, was a Ducato 2.8jtd, we replaced it with a Ducato 2.8jtd and drove around Portugal this summer.......probaly a couple more gear changes, might have been a tad slower, but that focussed my mind on weight..........but certainly no clutch issues.
Perhaps someone could clarify this, would there be other differences between the 2.3 and the 2,8. I would guess that things like suspension, clutch, drive shaft joints and possibly brakes, would be higher rated. If this is the case then a remap would leave these points vulnerable. Suggest checking the component part numbers.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Was the upgrade the OP was offered actually a different engine option as opposed to a power increase on the same engine e.g. a 3.0L instead of a 2.3L?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Perhaps someone could clarify this, would there be other differences between the 2.3 and the 2,8. I would guess that things like suspension, clutch, drive shaft joints and possibly brakes, would be higher rated. If this is the case then a remap would leave these points vulnerable. Suggest checking the component part numbers.

AFAIK the Fiat 2.3L replaced the 2.8L, so in that sense there will be potential differences.

Its where there are flavours of the same engine capacity for example the 2.8 I have on my Iveco base came as either ~128 or 146. Not sure if this is anything more than a different manufacture map on the same running gear.

I think the big difference is if you opt to upgrade (obviously it would be a different base vehicle the the converter would use) from a 2.3L to a 3L which probably have some uprated running gear.

flashkim

Free Member
Oct 28, 2012
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Relay L2H2
Exp
Few years now
Yes

Yes and yes

No

WOW Tuning

http://www.eliteremaps.com/
Elite Maps dealers all over the country Link ...my transit £150 at Penn Motors Tel 01494816525 HP10 8AD goes like a rocket ...
If you drive normally using your gears well inside their range, How will that snatch a clutch out early...you must not keep thinking "must be faster off the line than Vettel and Weber" LOL Kim :ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years

I,m not sure why you are quoting the 2.3 and the 2.8 ?
, People owning the 2.3, may be more inclined to try a remap. as far as all the other components on the vehicle, I doubt many of them will actually be different, they will probably all be 2.8 items except engine/gearbox specific parts.
When car engines are initially set up, it is a compromise between power/ fuel consumption/temperatures/air-fuel quality etc etc which allows the vehicle to be sold on the world markets. A remap, will tune the vehicle more to the needs of the current user, BUT falls into the trap of designing remaps that the MAJORITY of users want.
YOU have to decide what you want from a remap, it may be fuel consumptiom, it may be torque, it may be "longer legs", the only person I have seen on here who more or less had a remap tailor made or adapted for his needs was Jaws. Having said that, an "off the shelf" remap will be £250, a more "designer" type may be more.
On one landrover I owned, rather than go for a remap, I removed the EGR system, fitted a K&N air filter, and fitted a silencer replacement pipe, this gave VERY silmilr results to a remap, and is something I am planning for the motorhome.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back